Windows 10: MS Surface Laptop 3 - Recurring BSOD

Discus and support MS Surface Laptop 3 - Recurring BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, A Surface laptop bought in Oct is now crashing 2 or 3 times a day while working. There don't seem to be any recurring circumstances, but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PimonGypsy, Feb 16, 2021.

1. MS Surface Laptop 3 - Recurring BSOD

Hi all,

A Surface laptop bought in Oct is now crashing 2 or 3 times a day while working.
    There don't seem to be any recurring circumstances, but it has been particularly noticeable when MS Word O365 desktop app crashes.

I can't seem to find a fix for this in any of the articles.

Many thanks,

P

Machine details:

AMD Ryzen 7 MS Surface R Edn 2.30GHz

16GB RAM

No 3rd Party AV - only Win Defender

Crash Details:

Stop Code: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe

Action taken so far:

- Checked Minidump file on NirSoft BlueScreenView

- Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic - No Errors Found

- Installed optional updates from Windows

- Checked Devices & Drivers for errors/warnings and only came up with issues on Kernel-PnP: Driver\WudfRd failing to load for various HID devices, but no driver update found available

:)

PimonGypsy, Feb 16, 2021
  2. Roger Win User

MS Surface Keyboard Cover not recognized by MS Surface Pro 3

My Surface Pro 3 cover mysteriously stopped working (other USB keyboards work).

I’ve exhausted all of the steps from the Internet and am hoping for some advice here on what to try next.

• Clean the metal pins on both the keyboard and the Surface Pro 3 with alcohol swap and q-tip.
    • Performed the standard two button shutdown procedure - Force a shutdown and restart your Surface
    • Update "HID keyboard" device in Device Manager.
    • Uninstall and reinstall "HID keyboard device" in Device Manager.
    • Removed HID keyboard device in Device Driver and manually installed Surface Type Cover device (which later automatically turns to "HID keyboard device" when you hit "update drivers")
    • Updated all Windows 10 patches to date.
    • Tried a brand new keyboard (Microsoft FMM-00001 Type Cover for Surface Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4MPJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
    • Updated firmware for Surface Pro 3 (typed in “winver”, took that Windows version, then downloaded the specific patch required here - Download Surface Pro 3 from Official Microsoft Download Center)
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 while keeping personal files
    • Reset Surface Pro 3 and deleted all personal files
    • Performed hardware tests on aka.ms/surfacerepair (nothing bad found; all looks ok)
    • Drained the battery most of the way before connecting again - the two times it worked momentarily these last few days was when I connected my new type cover keyboard to the Surface Pro 3 after the battery had died down to below 50%; a simple reboot later, everything stopped working. This user seems to have the same problem with it working briefly when there is low battery - Surface Pro 3 Battery drain along with type cover connector failure )

A breakdown of the steps I've done to sometimes get it working

• Leave Surface Pro 3 on about 2 hours on battery only.
    • Power on Surface Pro 3.
    • Working Keyboard.
    • Turn off Surface Pro 3 (or reboot)
    • Keyboard not working anymore
    • Another similar user here - Surface 3 type cover issue

Can anyone recommend any other troubleshooting steps? One of these steps seemed to work ok for others having this same problem.

Roger, Feb 16, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, MS Surface Laptop 3 - Recurring BSOD :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Feb 16, 2021
  4. AJMazza Win User

MS Surface Laptop 3 - Recurring BSOD

Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Hi All,

Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and comes back.

I've completed the following:

• Updated laptop drivers and firmware
      • Updated monitor drivers
      • Swapped out monitor
    [/LIST]

AJMazza, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

MS Surface Laptop 3 - Recurring BSOD

1. MS Surface Laptop 3 - Recurring BSOD - Similar Threads - Surface Laptop Recurring

2. Surface laptop 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface laptop 3: Yo guys I am looking for a portable triple monitor screen extender and i have a Surface laptop 3 so I am looking for advice from someone who has any knowledge on which one should i get i live in Canada and I want the best one can some one give me the top 5 options that would...
  3. Surface laptop 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface laptop 3: Yo guys I am looking for a portable triple monitor screen extender and i have a Surface laptop 3 so I am looking for advice from someone who has any knowledge on which one should i get i live in Canada and I want the best one can some one give me the top 5 options that would...
  4. Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Laptop 3: They say a Surface Laptop 3 battery should last about 11 hours. I know you will not get 11 hours but you should get something near that. If I am lucky I get 2 to 3 hours at the most out of mine I ordered the laptop November 3 2020 so it is still under Microsoft one year...
  5. Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Laptop 3: I bought a Surface Laptop 3 today. After setting up a laptop updated, then I can not launch any setting apps like Settings, Personalisation etc. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> ms-settings ms-settings : The term 'ms-settings' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function,...
  6. New Surface Laptop 3 BSOD

New Surface Laptop 3 BSOD: Hello. I recently bought a Surface Laptop 3, and in the last 3 days I have experienced two blue screens. The first gave no error message and simply left my screen blue without a cursor until I held the power button to turn it off. The most recent one gave me more information,...
  7. Surface Laptop 3

Surface Laptop 3: I recently bought the Surface Laptop 3, and I was wondering how long the battery usually lasts people. I am using it for high school classes, so nothing too serious should be using up the battery. I've been using it for about 4 hours and it went down about 40% already. The...
  8. Recurring BSOD on new laptop

Recurring BSOD on new laptop: Hi My laptop seems to get the same fault occasionally when I try to wake it up from hibernate mode. The screen is black for about 30 sec then reboots. When I go through the Event Viewer log I can see that an BSOD has happened. I've searched for some common solutions but...
  9. Microsoft Surface 3 BSOD

Microsoft Surface 3 BSOD: I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 256GB that experienced a BSOD this morning. It has a clean install of Windows 10, and has been running for a few months without issue. It was stuck at the Surface logo screen with no circling dots, so I had to do the volume and power button...
  10. Constant crashes&BSODs on MS Surface Pro 3: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Constant crashes&BSODs on MS Surface Pro 3: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: Since about 2 weeks I have constant (i.e. 5-10 times per day) "black crashes" and BSODs on my MS Surface Pro 3 - roughly in 50%/50% mixture. "Black crash" means: the screen suddenly goes dark followed by the appearance of the "Surface" Boot logo. But these "self-reboots"...