Windows 10: MS Word constant errors when opening or trying to save documents

Discus and support MS Word constant errors when opening or trying to save documents in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to use Word under a MS Office 365 ProPlus account. When I open Word, I get: "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alpha272, Sep 21, 2020.

1. alpha272 Win User

MS Word constant errors when opening or trying to save documents

I'm trying to use Word under a MS Office 365 ProPlus account. When I open Word, I get:

"Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environmental variable."

This message occurs repeatedly and randomly when I am trying to use Word. I have to click OK then go back to what I was doing.

More annoying, and possibly related, I can't save the Word document. I try all sorts of different folders, including the desktop, including a NAS drive, and the file won't save. It says I don't have the correct permissions.

Can someone help?

This is on a Dell Precision laptop with Windows 10 Pro version 1909.

I asked this question previously and by deleting a Content.Word folder buried in the C drive I was able to make the unwanted behavior stop. But it didn't last. Now I'm back to getting constant errors with Word, including:

"You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?"

If I click "yes," it still wont' let me save in the Documents folder. It won't let me save anywhere except to a thumb drive.

Another error: "Word cannot open the existing file. . . .\Normal.dotm"

Another error: "Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged."

These errors just come in waves. It is impossible to be productive because Word is pretty much nonfunctional. When I type a bunch of narrative in word I have to copy it into a text document or into an email message to myself in order to preserve it because Word won't save. It's maddening.

Thank you.

:)

alpha272, Sep 21, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Opening Word documents

Hi MPHowe

Can you please provide a bit more detail on your question . . .

Do you get an error when trying to open Word documents, and if so, is that for all documents and what is printed on that error?

Can you open Word form its application icon, and if so, if you go to File - Open, can you open a Word document form there, rather than double clicking a Word document?

As an initial step, follow these steps to perform a full repair of your Office installation . . .

Open Control Panel - Programs and Features

Click Microsoft Office in the list of installed applications

At the top, click 'Change'

On the resulting dialog, click 'Repair' - choose the Online Repair, it is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

NOTE: Please be advised, if you are running Office 2013 or earlier, before attempting a repair, have your Microsoft Office Product Key at hand, Office may need to be re-activated in some cases

DaveM121, Sep 21, 2020
  3. opening word documents

My laptop will not open current saved documents in word on desktop. A window opens and goes to reconfigure, then asks if I want to reboot. After reboot the same thing happens when I try to open a word document. This happens with all of word documents on
    desktop. However, word documents open with no problem through my email.

I thought I had Windows 10 but on my programs list I also see Windows 2016.

Any ideas?

bethgilligan, Sep 21, 2020
  4. MS Word constant errors when opening or trying to save documents

Lost Word documents

Hi LornaRadke,

Firs check your recycle bin folder probably you can find your lost file there. If not found there then try another way of searching your lost documents file by their name in the search box.

Still not found, then apply these manual steps: Open MS Word > click the File Tab > Click Manage Document >select Recover Unsaved Documents from the drop-down
    list > Check for your missing file in the dialog box >Open the recovered Word document > click the Save As button in the top banner.

Probably you will find your lost documents on this list.

Finally if not shows there then try the last alternative option i.e. third party free data recovery programs like Recuva, stellar data recovery free edition, recoverit, etc. These utility programs completely free and can help you to recover your lost
    files. You can try your luck. Thanks

SandraMcgray, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

MS Word constant errors when opening or trying to save documents

1. MS Word constant errors when opening or trying to save documents - Similar Threads - Word constant errors

2. When trying to save a word document to PDF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When trying to save a word document to PDF: When trying to save a word document to PDF I use Microsoft print to PDF. Once I click to save it asks me to sign into my microsoft account online. this happens randomly. Any assistance?...
  3. When trying to save a word document to PDF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When trying to save a word document to PDF: When trying to save a word document to PDF I use Microsoft print to PDF. Once I click to save it asks me to sign into my microsoft account online. this happens randomly. Any assistance?...
  4. Can't open Word Documents with MS 365

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open Word Documents with MS 365: As of earlier this week, our MS 365 will now not let me open Word documents. When I double click on the document title and "Use Word to open" the blue wheel spins than disappears with no document appearing. Files aren't corrupted, as I can open with Office Suite free for now....
  5. Can't open Word Documents with MS 365

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open Word Documents with MS 365: As of earlier this week, our MS 365 will now not let me open Word documents. When I double click on the document title and "Use Word to open" the blue wheel spins than disappears with no document appearing. Files aren't corrupted, as I can open with Office Suite free for now....
  6. Trying to save a Word document to my laptop but it opens in Wordpad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to save a Word document to my laptop but it opens in Wordpad: I have the same problem trying to save my Word documents to my desktop, and when I open them they open in wordpad which destroys my formatting. How can i save and open my documents in word on my pc? I have tried the open with option but there is no alternate choice and Word...
  7. Saving Word Documents

Saving Word Documents: How can I save a word document as a JPG file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-word-documents/93d7a253-ae4d-4ac4-90f1-3923058007b6"
  8. Opening documents saved in Word

Opening documents saved in Word: Hello I have many documents created in Open Office but saved as Word docs so they can be sent to others in a readable form. Suddenly they no can no longer be opened and any attempt to do so brings up a window stating that 'You are trying to use Office but you don't have...
  9. When I open MS Word documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I open MS Word documents: When I now open MS Word documents I find they are all encrypted. How do I get the documents to display normally? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/when-i-open-ms-word-documents/41b7d182-4393-4b85-a9cf-db993c031280
  10. MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Office 2016 word documents when saved look differently: I recently noticed that when I am saving a MS Word document the icon has changed. I am running windows 10 and MS Office Professional 2016. This only started happening within the past week. i tried doing a quick repair of MS Office and that did not solve the problem so I went...