Windows 10: MSAHCI SATA Driver. Do we need anything else?

Discus and support MSAHCI SATA Driver. Do we need anything else? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello. I have been doing some tests on several Intel chipset hardware (mostly i7, 5th, 7th, 8th gen., running SATA drives from HDD 5400rpm to HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eLPuSHeR, Feb 25, 2019.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

MSAHCI SATA Driver. Do we need anything else?

Hello.

I have been doing some tests on several Intel chipset hardware (mostly i7, 5th, 7th, 8th gen., running SATA drives from HDD 5400rpm to HDD 7200rpm to SSD). When doing winsat disk test, I have noticed there is little to no speed differences when using w10's MS native AHCI driver vs any Intel one (including the ones from IRST). More so, I have noticed latency is always lower with the msahci driver (which seems to be a good thing).

My 5th gen. i7 with SSD seems to boot up and shutdown a little faster with msahci driver too, so my question is do we really need anything else these days? Is there any scenario when Intel ones are needed (RAID or Optane maybe)?

What do you think and what are you using? I have also checked that ms ahci driver also works fine for a m2 ssd on AMD chipset (Ryzen processor).

:)

eLPuSHeR, Feb 25, 2019
  2. Oto_ Win User

Windows boot manager doesn't recognize AHCI/SATA SSD

This is not the case as the BIOS doesn't recognize disk in AHCI but Windows is already configured with msahci driver.

As BIOS can't boot it directly because it doesn't see SATA disk so I would like to have a helper bootloader which boots from USB and then chain loads windows from SATA drive. HP will not help as the PC is out of warranty and the bug in BIOS won't be fixed.

3. varunrao Win User
    What driver I have to implement (Or reuse from windows driver samples) to send SATA commands to SATA harddisk?

I am interested in sending SATA commands to harddisk (From the user space) . I had a look at
    storshci mini port driver sample, but this has only functions specific to AHCI controller. I think one more driver need to be implemented which communicates with storshci driver.

It would help greatly If anybody can answer these questions.

• How to send commands to storahci miniport driver (Command, for example port initialize) ?
    • Is storahci miniport driver itself sufficient to implement the sata commads? Or do I need to have a one more layered driver which sit on the top of this (Something like disk driver) ?
    • In which sample driver, the SATA specific commands such as Identify device are implemented?

varunrao, Feb 25, 2019
  4. Nviduum Win User

AMD SATA Driver Issue

Hi there,
    besides my radeon problems, I have another issue with my system.

Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 Rev. 2.1 FKd Bios
    AMD770/SB710
    AMD Phenom II x4 965BE
    8 GBytes RAM DDR-II 800
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
    2x Samsung P2270 Monitors

Problem: Bios is in AHCI mode, reinstalled Win7 64, works with the built in msahci driver.
    Installing the AMD SATA driver has two effects:
    -After the reboot the system gets stuck at the "Windows" start screen, the "activty" LED flashes repeatingly in a rhythmic pattern.

Uninstalling the SATA driver has no effect on the first mentioned problem, windows is stuck at the boot screen.
    The only way to get the sys working back again is to switch in IDE Mode (thus loosing performance).
    I already tried another SSD and HDD, which doesn't make a difference.
    Any suggestions?

KR
    Bene

Nviduum, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

1. MSAHCI SATA Driver. Do we need anything else? - Similar Threads - MSAHCI SATA Driver

2. Ran a scan, is there anything else I need to do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ran a scan, is there anything else I need to do?: A few minutes ago, I turned off my computer and got an error where I had to click OK to terminate the program. I chose to look into this more and it seems that I had some damaged files. I tried running a sfc scan, but the window instantly closes, so I ran a scannow command...
  3. Ran a scan, is there anything else I need to do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ran a scan, is there anything else I need to do?: A few minutes ago, I turned off my computer and got an error where I had to click OK to terminate the program. I chose to look into this more and it seems that I had some damaged files. I tried running a sfc scan, but the window instantly closes, so I ran a scannow command...
  4. nForce 630i SATA AHCI mode - Cannot use MSAHCI driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    nForce 630i SATA AHCI mode - Cannot use MSAHCI driver: System is Packard Bell Imedia S3720 with the infamous nForce 630i chipset. I don't know why but I cannot use MSAHCI driver. Computer enters a loop and doesn't work well. With SATA nForce driver it works but it seems unstable at best (and also trim function dissappeared from...
  5. need driver Standard SATA AHCI Controller

need driver Standard SATA AHCI Controller: Hello, Dell XPS 13 9343 8 GB RAM 512 GB SSD I would get the Blue Screen of Death BSOD, even though Device Manager showed no issues. So I twice did a clean install of the latest Windows 10 available through the MediaCreationTool20H2, and then did all Windows Updates,...
  6. Do we even need drivers on Win 10..?

Do we even need drivers on Win 10..?: Hi guys. Let me describe my the story that raised my concerns, by and large for anyone that would be interested in the details. So recently I reinstalled Win 10 (version 1709) on an ASUS laptop. I've already done it a couple of times, I have grasped the routine to follow and...
  7. Games or anything else needing to be installed doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games or anything else needing to be installed doesn't work: When I try to install games it tries to put them in my "pictures" or in "recipes" for instance soo I can't get any of them them to work... how can this be fixed?? I am 78 soo please make the answer easy,,, Thanks so much for your help!!!...
  8. Black screen . No opportunity to do anything else

Black screen . No opportunity to do anything else: Hi, after a graphics driver issue my laptop ( running windows 10) is black. it shows nothing my docking station plugs in and is blank with the cursor. crtl alt delete doesn’t work nor anytbing i’ve tried. i have a bootable usb but cannot access as even in safe mode...
  9. sata driver

sata driver: Is there a newer sata driver for NM10 chipset (atom N455) netbooks or a way to install? Every driver from Intel and Samsung says this platform is not supported (tried running as W7 or W8) and the default one is old (2006) and buggy and getting ahci controller resets all the...
  10. ASM106x Sata Driver

ASM106x Sata Driver: Hello I have an ASUS Maximus VII Hero... It would seem ever since installing the Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V3.1.6.0 driver my 1 TB internal has issues.... as in it will be I quote from the event viewer "Disk 1 has been surprise removed" Anyone else encountered...