Windows 10: msconfig and startup programs

Discus and support msconfig and startup programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; msconfig wont change back to "normal startup". startup items does not startup even when changed to activated. do i have to reinstall programs for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by m0nk3n, Apr 5, 2016.

1. m0nk3n Win User

msconfig and startup programs

msconfig wont change back to "normal startup".

startup items does not startup even when changed to activated.

do i have to reinstall programs for these to work?

:)

m0nk3n, Apr 5, 2016

2. Disabled all msconfig startup program.

Hi,

There are different options available for us recover the normal startup process of your computer. This includes using an installation media to perform the repair or using the advanced startup options like safe mode to correct the issue. For us to resolve
    your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any error messages that showed up when you attempted to sign in to your computer?
    • Since you mentioned that you tried the key combination to get into safe mode, were there any messages or prompts that showed up?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you completed?
    • Have you attempted to force shutdown your computer and check if the recovery options show up?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Apr 5, 2016
  3. Disabled all msconfig startup program.

Hi

I am Sumanta i have a problem regarding my windows that i have accidentally disabled all services in msconfig windows 10. By this i am now unable to login to windows. only a pic where time and date is seen comes and nothing works after that. I have also
    tried doing Shift + Restart, but no result came. Even no box to type password. Please help me regarding this. Previously i have Windows 7 professional after that i have upgraded to Windows 10. I have no installation disc or something.

Please help me out of this.

Thank you

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Sumanta Bhattacharjee, Apr 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you used the task manager to re-enable startups?

What happened that led to this?

Do you have any useful system restore points?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2016
  5. m0nk3n Win User
    yes task manager doesnt start the programs when activated when i restart the computer.

idk what happened. i dont use system restore. system working fine. minor bug using msconfig. hence the wont change to normal startup.

m0nk3n, Apr 5, 2016
  6. zztemp Win User
    You could download Autoruns by Sysinternals (this is free and completly legit) : Autoruns for Windows

It is used by Sysadmins all over the world to configure what to start at startup.
    Try to use this tool and see if it works then.

zztemp, Apr 5, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    System Restore may well have solved your problem unless you now have some permissions issue or account corruption.

Presumably you don't have a Windows System Image, and don't use disk imaging (as is strongly recommended here) which allow restoration relatively quickly without tech support.

While you could try Autoruns (in admin mode) I'm unconvinced that will help, but might as well try it. (Are you using an admin account?)

You can also try creating a new user (for test purposes), but that's only easy for programs installed to start up for all users.

By all means try reinstalling one and see what happens.

My concern would be that
    a. You've no idea what happened
    b. Other issues may be present you're not yet aware of
    c. You've probably no reliable way (as above) to get back to how things were.

I can only assume you were using msconfig to try to resolve a problem, which suggests there was already sthg astray.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2016
  8. robgr Win User

What build are you as task manager is broken in Redstone builds?

robgr, Apr 5, 2016
  9. m0nk3n Win User
    in windows 7 ultimate. i used msconfig to control the startup programs. in windows 10. i use task manager to do that. also sometimes use msconfig to turn off services that are not used by microsoft from old habit. thats the only thing that's happened. no corruption of any kind.

the only thing ludicrous here is that msconfig wont accept me to use 1 of the 3 startup options which is;

1: Normal Startup.
    2: Diagnostic Startup.
    3: Selective Startup.
    now the problem is that when i open msconfig and select Normal Startup then press OK and the window closes. and i open msconfig again it reverted back to selective startup. why?

windows 10 Pro version 1511 (OS-build 10586.164)

m0nk3n, Apr 5, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    It should work and has for me. Beyond that, it's a question of analysis and trial and error if no one has come across this before.

If you wish, you could try do an in-place upgrade install as per the Tutorial section - you lose nothing.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2016
  11. m0nk3n Win User
    i've had issues with sound blaster-z control panel hanging after i game or maybe that is because i keep the computer on long time at a time.

just stops loading the UI for it. have to restart the computer. wont help to restart sound blaster service. or stop and start it.

but i've gathered it's because when i install ati graphics driver the sound blaster control panel hangs and restart will fix it. still a bug.

i'll look into the in-place repair. looks fun and healthy for all things 101.

m0nk3n, Apr 5, 2016
  12. m0nk3n Win User
    i downloaded the windows 10 ISO from media creation tool and put it on usb. did a clean reinstall. so weird though. it wouldnt just let me do that at first since it said the ssd was mbr and needed to be gpt.

i formated volume 1 in disk 0. then i formated disk 0 which did nothing since i had already done that msconfig and startup programs :p then i did a " clean " command on disk 0 and restarted and then it would let me reinstall. so did a full format. i couldnt tell there was anything wrong with windows before the reinstall but reinstalled anyway. *Biggrin

m0nk3n, Apr 7, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Ok- the reinstall was your choice.. if you've little in the way of settings and programs to configure and install, and your data was backed up, that's ok.

The in-place upgrade repair keeps everything (almost), although it follows the procedure of Windows installation. No guarantee it would have fixed that particular problem.

dalchina, Apr 7, 2016
  14. m0nk3n Win User
    the msconfig setting for " selective startup " i guess is standard for windows 10. doesnt bother me now.

m0nk3n, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. msconfig and startup programs - Similar Threads - msconfig startup programs

2. Got locked on msconfig diagnostic startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got locked on msconfig diagnostic startup: Hi guys, so i rebooted my laptop on msconfig diagnostic startup and it says that i have a problem with my pin, and when i clic on it, it says get an application from the store and nothing happens when i select ok . I can’t acces anything beyond the start menu. Here’s what i...
  3. Programs and MSconfig won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs and MSconfig won't open: Hello,Whenever I try to open a programExpressVPN, Notepad, Winrar, and every video game. It opens, and then closes immediately, in task manager it says it gets suspended. I tried to fix the issue by running "sfc /scannow" in cmd prompt but it says it this "Windows Resource...
  4. cannot start msconfig in normal startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot start msconfig in normal startup: I cannot get my computer to start in nomal start up. It keeps starting in selective startup. I have tried everything. Can anyone give an answer to this problem please. AlanLane5...
  5. how to erase Adobe from msconfig and startup programs?

how to erase Adobe from msconfig and startup programs?: ***moved on english forum*** I would also like to know how to find out more explicitly what a startup program is where it is linked to? Is there a way to remove a startup program not simply deactivate it once it's been added to the list? In MS Config there are many...
  6. Help with changes in MSCONFIG Selective Startup

Help with changes in MSCONFIG Selective Startup: I went into MSCONFIG - changed to Selective Startup in System Configuration. Now I am trying to change back to Normal- the apply button wont highlight for use [IMG]...
  7. MSconfig / normal startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MSconfig / normal startup: Hi all, I am experiencing problems on startup (old Dell E6320 with Windows 10 32bits) since I may have change MSconfig setup from Selective to Normal Startup. Ever since when Windows is booting, it takes minutes to get to the PW screen, my PW is no longer accepted, then it...
  8. msconfig>Diagnostic startup fails

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    msconfig>Diagnostic startup fails: I am trying to determine why Firefox takes 20 seconds to open. This does not happen in Safe Mode so presumably another package is causing the delay. Consequently, I wanted to start in diagnostics mode. However, as soon as I click on the button for Diagnostics startup, the...
  9. MSCONFIG/General/ Selective startup

in Windows 10 Support
    MSCONFIG/General/ Selective startup: I can't get my PC to do a normal start up. When I select normal start up in MSCONFIG and hit apply and boot it reverts to Selective start up. However everything appears to be working normally. I'm not sure if it is or if it is actually doing a Selective start up. Any ideas?...
  10. MSConfig & Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    MSConfig & Selective Startup: So msconfig is driving me nuts as whenever i just click normal or diagonstic boot it reverts to selective startup. I had this issue in Windows 7 and i fixed it somehow. Any help? 9138