Windows 10: msconfig freezes when I try to apply changes

Discus and support msconfig freezes when I try to apply changes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the process of using msconfig.exe to set up a clean boot, I found that when I make any changes (i.e. disabling non-Microsoft services) msconfig... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SteveCase, Nov 8, 2018.

1. SteveCase Win User

msconfig freezes when I try to apply changes

In the process of using msconfig.exe to set up a clean boot, I found that when I make any changes (i.e. disabling non-Microsoft services) msconfig freezes as soon as I click "apply" and I have to perform a hard reset to get my PC going again. Even just disabling a single service causes this to happen. I'm not experiencing any other serious problems. Any ideas how to fix this?

:)

SteveCase, Nov 8, 2018

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Msconfig not keeping changes

Hello William,

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?
    • What is the application/program that you're having issues with?
    • Are you using any third-party antivirus program?

Meanwhile, I'd recommend performing the steps below to troubleshoot the said issue:

1. Start your PC in safe mode. Press Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open
    Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start
    button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select
    Settings

2. Select Update & security > Recovery

3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.

4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select
    Troubleshoot > Advanced options >
    Startup Settings > Restart.

5. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4
    or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select
    5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

6. During safe mode, press Windows key + R, then type
    msconfig and press Enter.

7. In the System Configuration window, go to
    General
    tab.

8. Uncheck the box for Load startup items. Click
    Apply
    and click OK to save changes.

If the issue persists, I'd suggest creating a new administrator account. Refer to the steps in this
    article.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Nov 8, 2018
  4. pepanee Win User

msconfig doesn't save changes

Dang. Well, if you haven't already done so, search on a search engine (such as Bing) for your issue for more suggestions that you can find. I searched for:

msconfig doesn't save changes

and gave you that link. Hopefully you can try other suggestions that were attempted by others. There's a bunch of results that you will find, so hopefully that variety of results will have something useful.

pepanee, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. msconfig freezes when I try to apply changes - Similar Threads - msconfig freezes try

2. Rollback msconfig changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rollback msconfig changes: Hello! I've got a following issue: I changed option in msconfig to Diagnostic startup. After that I rebooted my laptop. Some updates have been installed after reboot. And after that I lost access to admin user - pin is not working with error 0x8007139f and I forgot last admin...
  3. Rollback msconfig changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rollback msconfig changes: Hello! I've got a following issue: I changed option in msconfig to Diagnostic startup. After that I rebooted my laptop. Some updates have been installed after reboot. And after that I lost access to admin user - pin is not working with error 0x8007139f and I forgot last admin...
  4. Rollback msconfig changes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. mouse settings menu is freezing when I try to change it, super annoying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mouse settings menu is freezing when I try to change it, super annoying: mouse settings menu is freezing when I try to change sensitivity, if I change it in old style menu it take upto 30 sec to apply settings, super annoyingI have logitech software installed with g700 mouse if it matters....
  6. mouse settings menu is freezing when I try to change it, super annoying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mouse settings menu is freezing when I try to change it, super annoying: mouse settings menu is freezing when I try to change sensitivity, if I change it in old style menu it take upto 30 sec to apply settings, super annoyingI have logitech software installed with g700 mouse if it matters....
  7. Dell InsydeH20 BIOS freezes when I try to Save changes and Exit

Dell InsydeH20 BIOS freezes when I try to Save changes and Exit: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 7520 (i7 processor) laptop. I recently updated the BIOS to A13 and replaced the DVD drive with a caddy for a second hard drive. I can boot into the OS on this drive by tapping F12 on boot up and changing the boot order to the DVD drive....
  8. How do I apply 'Normal Setting " to Msconfig ?

How do I apply 'Normal Setting " to Msconfig ?: When i apply Normal Setting to Msconfig it revert back to Selective setting ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-apply-normal-setting-to-msconfig/94799546-5405-42a0-9ef2-227f7ce7a6e0
  9. Msconfig not keeping changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Msconfig not keeping changes: I am having problems with a program, and their help desk instructed to un-check "Load startup items", click Apply and click OK. When I do this I am not getting the expected restart message. When I reopen Msconfig, the change has not been made....
  10. msconfig changes

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    msconfig changes: I took a picture of my msconfig and I noticed that in a day the numbers behind these 8 services changed they were DevicePicker_ DevicesFlow_ MessaginService_ Sync Host_ Contact data_ PrintWorkflow_ User data storage_ user data access_ they all had the same number...