Windows 10: MSConfig & Selective Startup

Discus and support MSConfig & Selective Startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So msconfig is driving me nuts as whenever i just click normal or diagonstic boot it reverts to selective startup. I had this issue in Windows 7 and i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Laith, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Laith Win User

MSConfig & Selective Startup

So msconfig is driving me nuts as whenever i just click normal or diagonstic boot it reverts to selective startup. I had this issue in Windows 7 and i fixed it somehow. Any help?

:)

Laith, Jul 27, 2015

2. MSCONFIG defaults to selective startup

if everything works fine ignore it. I have seen some other PC's like this and all was good with everything on it. It is on selective maybe as the system needs to disable something for PC to run properly.

seahawks65, Jul 27, 2015
  3. PaulHP22 Win User
    MSCONFIG defaults to selective startup

This is a new computer. Has updated since installation. MSCONFIG can't stay set at "normal" startup. Continually defaults to "selective". Have tried suggested Microsoft fix. Does not work. Any suggestions?

PaulHP22, Jul 27, 2015
  4. Laith Win User

Don't worry i solved it via going into Safe Mode and checking normal boot *Party

Laith, Jul 27, 2015
  5. Maestro Win User
    Hey thanks for posting this! Was driving me nuts

Maestro, Jul 27, 2015
  6. Laith Win User
    No problemo! It drove me nuts too.

Laith, Jul 27, 2015
  7. BAS
    Bas Win User
    it didn't work man, at least not for very long time. as soon as I checked the "normal" icon and rebooted my notebook, the windows set automatically the previous config once again. what a hell!

Does anyone know how to fix it?

8. Laith Win User

Like you must play around with it a little to get it working again. That's what i did. I went nuts trying to fix it.

Laith, Aug 11, 2015
  9. BAS
    Bas Win User
    doesn`t make any sense hehe

what is the point of running it in the safe mode only to get it back to its initial status? I don't get it *Sad

10. Laith Win User
    With playing around you must try different methods and eventually it will work.

Laith, Aug 11, 2015
  11. wpcoe Win User
    Thanks, it worked for me, too. *Thumbs

wpcoe, Aug 14, 2015
  12. topgundcp Win User
    You are not solving anything. This is a normal behaviour. All my PC's are running in selective mode and the reason for that is if you disable any service(s), startup item(s) then it becomes Selective.

From msconfig. Click on the "Services" tab and disable an item then it will switch to Selective Startup.

topgundcp, Aug 14, 2015
  13. Laith Win User

I know that, i know that completely. It's a bug with msconfig. You have to play around with it to get to boot to diagnostic and normal.

Laith, Aug 14, 2015
  14. tjg79 Win User
    This topic is confusing. If you select normal mode and don't make any changes, then it should stay in normal mode. To me, if it doesn't stay in normal mode, that indicates a problem somewhere.

Regards

tjg79, Oct 29, 2015
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Disable fastboot, hibernation and try again.

I have several services and start up items disabled and it still runs in "normal' start up.

Ever noticed how you changed settings in registry getting ignored upon next reboot etc. ? Bcdedit changes you make are getting ignored too ? Etc., Etc.
    Heck, even some bios settings are royally ignored too at boot time.....

Stored to disk settings in fastboot and so on is what's causing that. Which is why you should only enable these features once you are satisfied with whatever settings you've picked.
    Can't have it both ways. Cake, eating..... I know, I am a royal PITA. *Redface

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 29, 2015
Thema:

1. MSConfig & Selective Startup - Similar Threads - MSConfig Selective Startup

2. MSCONFIG: Startup selection always reverting to selective after setting it to normal

in Windows 10 Customization
    MSCONFIG: Startup selection always reverting to selective after setting it to normal: In System Configuration, the Startup selection is set to selective and whenever I apply, it keeps on reverting to selective. I need this changed because I need normal for it to start my device drivers because I need to manually do it, and it gets really annoyingto have to do...
  3. Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG: System Configuration Utility, popularly known as MSCONFIG, allows you to configure the startup behavior of Windows. It allows users to troubleshoot the load time, stability, and performance problems. It has been reported that Windows 10 gets stuck in Selective Startup, which...
  4. What is a Selective Startup? How to run selective startup using MSCONFIG in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What is a Selective Startup? How to run selective startup using MSCONFIG in Windows 10: When Windows boots up, it loads up files along with it and also starts services and launches applications that are registered with it when the user logs into his account. At times, some rogue applications may cause a slow boot or make Windows stuck in the middle of the...
  5. Msconfig is selective not normal

Msconfig is selective not normal: I have tried to set to normal by applying but it reverts to selective. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msconfig-is-selective-not-normal/4f88e2be-a92d-4996-a591-7e170852ec2b
  6. Windows Keeps Selecting Selective Startup In MSconfig Rather Than Normal Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Keeps Selecting Selective Startup In MSconfig Rather Than Normal Startup: why does windows keep selecting selective startup rather than normal startup, when it picks selective startup it stops me from being able to launch certain programs as it disables most of them submitted by /u/DGW04 [link] [comments]...
  7. Changed msconfig selective startup, pc won’t start anymore

Changed msconfig selective startup, pc won’t start anymore: I changed my selective startup in msconfig, restarted my pc, and now im stuck on the blue Choose an option screen and can not get to safe mode. If i try to get to safe mdoe it goes to performing automatic repairs. Ive researched the issue for a few hours and have found no...
  8. Help with changes in MSCONFIG Selective Startup

Help with changes in MSCONFIG Selective Startup: I went into MSCONFIG - changed to Selective Startup in System Configuration. Now I am trying to change back to Normal- the apply button wont highlight for use [IMG]...
  9. MSconfig / normal startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MSconfig / normal startup: Hi all, I am experiencing problems on startup (old Dell E6320 with Windows 10 32bits) since I may have change MSconfig setup from Selective to Normal Startup. Ever since when Windows is booting, it takes minutes to get to the PW screen, my PW is no longer accepted, then it...
  10. MSCONFIG/General/ Selective startup

in Windows 10 Support
    MSCONFIG/General/ Selective startup: I can't get my PC to do a normal start up. When I select normal start up in MSCONFIG and hit apply and boot it reverts to Selective start up. However everything appears to be working normally. I'm not sure if it is or if it is actually doing a Selective start up. Any ideas?...