Windows 10: MSE allowed items

Discus and support MSE allowed items in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a long time. Over the years, I've "allowed" four items; these show up in the history section. In... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Billy_j, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Billy_j Win User

MSE allowed items

I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a long time. Over the years, I've "allowed" four items; these show up in the history section. In the list, the program name doesn't give the file name--only the virus name. For example, one of them says, "HackTool:Win32/Gendows." But I don't remember what programs I actually "allowed." Is there a way to find out what program caused these items to be flagged originally?

:)

Billy_j, Sep 14, 2018
  2. kossZZ Win User

help, un-allowing a program, that was restored in the quarantine tab, no Allowed item listed

"Restoring a file from the Quarantine automatically registers a temporary path exclusion (in a "TemporaryPaths" registry key that’s invisible to the MSE interface). The restored file will no longer be monitored by MSE; and since MSE’s automatic exclusion
    for the restored file doesn’t show up in the “Excluded files and locations” settings or in the “Allowed items” list, there’s no easy way to immediately re-enable detection for the file – but when the automatic exclusion expires (after a couple of days), the
    ability to detect the file will be re-enabled, and running a Full Scan will return the file to the Quarantine.

MSE Beta False positives

Deleting the registry value for the restored file in the TemporaryPaths key is a possible solution, but it might be a little less confusing (and a little safer) if restoring a file from the Quarantine just automatically created a path exclusion in the main
    interface."

Oh it's a temporary allowance, which is why it's not showing up in the allowed programs list. And will not be allowed after a few days. Therefore, the program will be detected and scanned by Windows defender once more.

finally someone answers my question. Thank you

This is the information I was wanting, knowing how to re-add a file to Windows defender to scan against. When I didn't see in the allowed items list

I'm absolutely dumbfounded that this information is nowhere listed.

In Windows defender. Or that it adds a allowance for the program to begin with.

I mean, literally. How hard is it to add the words in the text on the restored button in the quarantine section.

"This will also add a temporary allowance that Windows defender will not scan against this item, which will only last a couple days"

Don't know about you but that some useful information right there that doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

I mean, look at the picture. There's enough space for that text literally on that freaking readout.

I literally have to go completely out of my way to find this information out. Absolutely a silly design.

Thank you once again for telling me this information.

kossZZ, Sep 17, 2018
  3. History, Allowed Items

Your question is not clear, what do you want to do with allowed list?

Do you want to view it?

Is there any item there?

Cyber_Defend_Team, Sep 17, 2018
  4. MSE allowed items

Windows defender does not allow for me to unquarantine items

Hi Michael,

The Real-time protection feature of Windows
    Defender stops malware from running on your device. It's possible that this feature is preventing the system from restoring/allowing the affected program. If you're sure that the affected program is virus free, we suggest that you disable the
    feature temporarily and try to restore the program. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Type Windows Defender settings in the search bar and press
      Enter.
    • Under Windows Defender, disable
      Real-time protection by clicking the toggle button.
    • Once you're done, restore the affected file/program and check if the issue persists.

Also, you can allow a quarantined file/program from the Windows
    Defender desktop app. If you have the app installed on your device, you can follow these steps:

• Type Windows Defender in the search box, and then select the Desktop app.
    • Under the History tab, click on the check box for the affected file/program.
    • Select Allow item.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

MSE allowed items

1. MSE allowed items - Similar Threads - MSE allowed items

2. MSE Puzzle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSE Puzzle: Right now I am in Safari because I shut down my Windows 7. MSE just ran on it; and I don't know how it got onto my Windows 7 in the first place. I did not install it, but let it update. During the past two weeks I had blue screens; so after running my usual security programs,...
  3. MSE Puzzle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSE Puzzle: Right now I am in Safari because I shut down my Windows 7. MSE just ran on it; and I don't know how it got onto my Windows 7 in the first place. I did not install it, but let it update. During the past two weeks I had blue screens; so after running my usual security programs,...
  4. how to change an allowed item

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to change an allowed item: I accidently allowed a threat. how to fix it so it is not allowed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-an-allowed-item/64448e3f-de76-4309-bf8d-a5664f517735
  5. MSE and Chrome

MSE and Chrome: I ran a full scan last night. MSE apparently found something suspicious, corrected it. Now my google chrome doesn't work.. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mse-and-chrome/133976d8-37fc-413b-a19b-20bb9d126b67
  6. MSE efficiency

MSE efficiency: Hello, Thank you for providing a free anti-virus software with MSE. I do have a similar question than other users. I have read many. I also do understand and have experienced false positives from other companies, just to make their software seem better. My question is...
  7. MSE Scan

MSE Scan: I installed MSE on my old laptop, that I need for work, It is Monday morning 7:45 am and it has been running the quick scan for 22 hrs now and scanned 320K items. Is this normal for the first time?...
  8. MSE

MSE: I don't know if my first post went thru. In the MSE history it says I have the "TrojanDownloader:JS/Menucod. But multiple scans do not find anything.... Also have an error code 0x80508023 that says the Program could not find the malware.......
  9. MSE

MSE: Have this in my MSE history; don't know what it means. Multiple scans come up clean.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mse/8d175fdf-6ef9-45ed-9839-aae1cb7d7c7d
  10. MSE

MSE: What version of MSE should I be running on Windows 7 64 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start-windows_7/mse/02d2ec1b-87bc-4371-ab07-07d01d692f72