Windows 10: .msi cant be installed

Discus and support .msi cant be installed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was trying to update wsl to wsl 2. For that you have to run wsl_update_x64.msi, but every time i ran it displayed an error saying "This installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JiříPeruek, Dec 24, 2020.

1. .msi cant be installed

I was trying to update wsl to wsl 2. For that you have to run wsl_update_x64.msi, but every time i ran it displayed an error saying "This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator" I didint need wsl that much so I just let it be. A few days later I tried installing wireshark, during its installation it was also installing vcredist and returned the same error as the wsl msi pacakge. So i tried getting log of it with msiexec /a wsl_update_x64.msi /L*V log.txt from admin powershell and got this

=== Verbose logging started: 24.12.2020 21:35:00 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 5.00.10011.00 Calling process: C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe ===

MSI c C8:80 [21:35:00:860]: Font created. Charset: Req=238, Ret=238, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI c C8:80 [21:35:00:860]: Font created. Charset: Req=238, Ret=238, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:00:876]: Resetting cached policy values

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:00:876]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:00:876]: ******* RunEngine:

******* Product: wsl_update_x64.msi

******* Action:

******* CommandLine: **********

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:00:878]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:00:998]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: Verifying package --> 'D:\dl\wsl_update_x64.msi' against software restriction policy

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:00:998]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: D:\dl\wsl_update_x64.msi has a digital signature

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:01:024]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: D:\dl\wsl_update_x64.msi is not permitted to run at the 'unrestricted' authorization level.

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:01:024]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: D:\dl\wsl_update_x64.msi was disallowed because a required certificate in its digital signature has been revoked by its issuer status = 0x800B010C. The returned execution level was 0

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:01:024]: Installation of D:\dl\wsl_update_x64.msi is not allowed by software restriction policies. Windows Installer allows you to install only non-prohibited items. The authentication level returned by the software restriction policy is 0x0 return status 0x800b010c.

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:01:025]: Note: 1: 1718 2: C:\Users\pery4\AppData\Local\Temp\16e97a.msi

MSI c C8:74 [21:35:01:026]: MainEngineThread is returning 1625

=== Verbose logging stopped: 24.12.2020 21:35:01 ===

i have no idea how to fix this

:)

JiříPeruek, Dec 24, 2020

2. Windows Installer Error: This installation package cannot be opened.

Hi AJ,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help you answer your query.

The above error can occur if the locally cached Windows Installer package (*.msi) file is damaged or corrupted.

To rectify the above, I suggest that you try the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to install the software successfully.

• Open the \Windows\Installer folder on your computer's hard disk.
    • Right-click any file with an .msi extension.
    • Click Properties on the shortcut menu. The
      Subject
      box on the Summary tab contains the name of the product that installed the .msi file.
    • Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each .msi file in the \Installer folder, and delete the .msi file for the software that you are trying to install.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 24, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 24, 2020
  4. .msi cant be installed

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

.msi cant be installed

1. .msi cant be installed - Similar Threads - msi cant installed

2. msi installer eror 2755

in Windows 10 Gaming
    msi installer eror 2755: Hello, I am encountering an issue with the MSI Installer and receiving an error message: "Error 2755." I am reaching out for assistance and guidance on resolving this problem. I am trying to install/upgrade a software package using the MSI Installer, but I keep encountering...
  3. .msi extension file not installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .msi extension file not installing: .msi extension file is not installing. It stuck on installation window. I have tried other .msi file but still failed. I have attached a screenshot hope it will help....
  4. MSI installer not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSI installer not working: Been getting this error since morning, everything on the web. Any help? I'm running windows 11 insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msi-installer-not-working/39fb3aad-e654-4465-9a46-0c629c1c5920
  5. MSI installer not working

MSI installer not working: Been getting this error since morning, everything on the web. Any help? I'm running windows 11 insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msi-installer-not-working/39fb3aad-e654-4465-9a46-0c629c1c5920
  6. MSI installed, but files are not deployed

MSI installed, but files are not deployed: Hi all. I wrote a simple program and put it in an msi file, version - 1.0.0.0Installing the msi works great and all files are deployed properly Then I created an update version - 1.0.0.1Installing it results in both versions being written in add remove programsBUT, in some...
  7. .msi installers not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .msi installers not working: I am having trouble installing software which have .msi installers. Every time I select the install location and click 'Next', the installer freezes and shows, "Installer not responding". I have tried .msi installers from different softwares and I'm having the same problem...
  8. cant restart my msi laptop

cant restart my msi laptop: i need help everytime i restart my computer for a update that need to restart or even I just want to restart it get hit with a black screen and only thing it says MSI it stays there doesn't move...
  9. Install MSI and MSP at once with PATCH MSI Property

Install MSI and MSP at once with PATCH MSI Property: Hi, till today I thought, that it is possible to apply an upgrade and an update to a program at the same time using: msiexec.exe /i "c:\x\x.msi" PATCH="C:\x\x1.msp;C:\x\x2.msp" Today I got problems when running the program because some files and registrations where not...
  10. MSI files refuse to install.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MSI files refuse to install.: Hello Lately, I have been having trouble with the .msi format files. Things like the Minecraft installer and the Epic Games Launcher installer have been difficult/impossible. Whenever I double click on a .msi file to install something, it may bring up the wizard, but as...