Windows 10: .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not

Discus and support .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I need to cleanup disk space and these are large files.Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by H Prosser, May 5, 2023.

1. H Prosser Win User

.msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not

I need to cleanup disk space and these are large files.Windows 10

:)

H Prosser, May 5, 2023

2. Windows Installer Error: This installation package cannot be opened.

Hi AJ,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help you answer your query.

The above error can occur if the locally cached Windows Installer package (*.msi) file is damaged or corrupted.

To rectify the above, I suggest that you try the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to install the software successfully.

• Open the \Windows\Installer folder on your computer's hard disk.
    • Right-click any file with an .msi extension.
    • Click Properties on the shortcut menu. The
      Subject
      box on the Summary tab contains the name of the product that installed the .msi file.
    • Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each .msi file in the \Installer folder, and delete the .msi file for the software that you are trying to install.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, May 5, 2023
  3. olit2000 Win User
    msi package cannot be installed

When I try to install any msi-based program (in my case VirtualBox but also 7zip) I get following error messages: "the system could not open the specified device or file." and then "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
    This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755." when I hit the "install" button.

I have captured the most verbose log I could get and posted it here:
    https://pastebin.com/PZSRQgwy

It seems that the installer is unable to read the msi file.

What I have already tried:

• rebooting
    • re-registering msiexec with msiexec /unreg and msiexec /regserv
    • sfc /scannow
    • this troubleshooter: MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab
    • give everyone full r/w permission to the msi file and parent folder

I run win 10 home build 1809 with all available updates

my av is avast

I have no clue what could have coused this error because a month ago it did work

olit2000, May 5, 2023
  4. .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 5, 2023
Thema:

.msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not

1. .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not - Similar Threads - msi extension Window

2. Unable to install msi package on Windows 11 desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install msi package on Windows 11 desktop: I cannot install an msi package that I've "cisco-secure-client-win-5.0.05040-core-vpn-predeploy-k9" software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-msi-package-on-windows-11/0f7c832c-de25-42e0-8bf4-c527a8f5817f
  3. Unable to install msi package on Windows 11 desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to install msi package on Windows 11 desktop: I cannot install an msi package that I've "cisco-secure-client-win-5.0.05040-core-vpn-predeploy-k9" software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-msi-package-on-windows-11/0f7c832c-de25-42e0-8bf4-c527a8f5817f
  4. EROR when instaling some msi packages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EROR when instaling some msi packages: I was trying to install an MSI program, but it stops at creating shortcuts, and after some time, I get an error message like in the image below. Then I looked at the registry key for what it was trying to do, and I found it was trying to install to startup. How can I fix...
  5. EROR when instaling some msi packages

EROR when instaling some msi packages: I was trying to install an MSI program, but it stops at creating shortcuts, and after some time, I get an error message like in the image below. Then I looked at the registry key for what it was trying to do, and I found it was trying to install to startup. How can I fix...
  6. .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not

.msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not: I need to cleanup disk space and these are large files.Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msi-extension-window-installer-package-can-they-be/c62f72c6-b5e2-4346-91d9-a8fcaad4c314
  7. .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .msi extension "Window Installer Package" Can they be removed or not: I need to cleanup disk space and these are large files.Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msi-extension-window-installer-package-can-they-be/c62f72c6-b5e2-4346-91d9-a8fcaad4c314
  8. .msi extension file not installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .msi extension file not installing: .msi extension file is not installing. It stuck on installation window. I have tried other .msi file but still failed. I have attached a screenshot hope it will help....
  9. .msi extension file not installing

.msi extension file not installing: .msi extension file is not installing. It stuck on installation window. I have tried other .msi file but still failed. I have attached a screenshot hope it will help....
  10. msi package cannot be installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    msi package cannot be installed: When I try to install any msi-based program (in my case VirtualBox but also 7zip) I get following error messages: "the system could not open the specified device or file." and then "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a...