Windows 10: MSI files cannot install

Discus and support MSI files cannot install in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, After the last failed (umpteen'th attempt from Microsoft) to update to Windows 10 Pro 1903 on my Lenovo T430 laptop running W10 Pro 1803 build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bk1, Jul 25, 2020.

1. BK1
    bk1 Win User

MSI files cannot install

Hi,
    After the last failed (umpteen'th attempt from Microsoft) to update to Windows 10 Pro 1903 on my Lenovo T430 laptop running W10 Pro 1803 build 17134.1304 and again failing with "Failed to install on 21.07.?2020 - 0xc1900101", I suddenly cannot install MSI files. The following window appears:

MSI files cannot install [​IMG]

The button "Goto Microsoft Store" results in the following window appearing:

which leads to a message for the store application saying " Results for "Store": No results found for this filtering".

The Update now option leads to the Update Windows under Settings. This page states that Windows is up to date.

The see how option show a page explaining how I can change Windows 10 Pro S into Windows 10 Pro. However, as you can see from above and what is alos stated on this page is that I am NOT running the S version.

The previous behavior was a window appearing, stating that the install application was downloaded from internet and then asking if I wanted to install it. I would like to get this behavior back.

Installing a newer version of or reinstalling Windows is not an option at the moment due to apparently missing drivers from Lenovo or that I have to reinstall Windows.

Default action for MSI files is registered as starting Windows Installer.

So, apparently, some register key makes pat of Windows believe that it should enforce an "S" like behavior, while in fact this is wrong.

So, please help.

:)

2. ViroMajor Win User

cannot install .msi files anymore

Here is the result from the scan

Thx for mentionning the latest suggestion, I will consider it if everything is lost

- - - Updated - - -

Your latest remark didn’t trigger any reaction I’m afraid

ViroMajor, Jul 25, 2020
  3. Cannot install MSI files in Windows 10

Easiest way is to start the msi file via Windows command line and open the command line 'run as administrator'!

• Click Start.

• In the Start Search box, type cmd, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

• Switch in the cmd to the MSI path and install the msi via cmd

Kahle Markus, Jul 25, 2020
  4. MSI files cannot install

Windows Installer Error: This installation package cannot be opened.

Hi AJ,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help you answer your query.

The above error can occur if the locally cached Windows Installer package (*.msi) file is damaged or corrupted.

To rectify the above, I suggest that you try the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to install the software successfully.

• Open the \Windows\Installer folder on your computer's hard disk.
    • Right-click any file with an .msi extension.
    • Click Properties on the shortcut menu. The
      Subject
      box on the Summary tab contains the name of the product that installed the .msi file.
    • Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each .msi file in the \Installer folder, and delete the .msi file for the software that you are trying to install.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

MSI files cannot install

1. MSI files cannot install - Similar Threads - MSI files cannot

2. Cannot install msi files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install msi files: I am having trouble installing files with the msi tag at the end. According to services whenever I try to run the windows installer service it gives me an error message and can not start. I am on a thinkpad and the operating system is windows. What would be the best approach...
  3. Cannot install msi files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install msi files: I am having trouble installing files with the msi tag at the end. According to services whenever I try to run the windows installer service it gives me an error message and can not start. I am on a thinkpad and the operating system is windows. What would be the best approach...
  4. .msi extension file not installing

.msi extension file not installing: .msi extension file is not installing. It stuck on installation window. I have tried other .msi file but still failed. I have attached a screenshot hope it will help....
  5. Cannot install .msi file in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install .msi file in windows 11: i am trying to installl mysql-installer-community-8.0.32.0.msi but its showing there is no such app to install your file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-install-msi-file-in-windows-11/5a8d8c2b-6896-41b1-88d3-465ddced8d71
  6. Cannot install .msi file in windows 11

Cannot install .msi file in windows 11: i am trying to installl mysql-installer-community-8.0.32.0.msi but its showing there is no such app to install your file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-install-msi-file-in-windows-11/5a8d8c2b-6896-41b1-88d3-465ddced8d71
  7. .msi files cannot be installed. Install / Uninstall app cannot be launched.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .msi files cannot be installed. Install / Uninstall app cannot be launched.: Hello there. I'm facing serious problem right now. I wanted to learn JavaScript and have to download the language. The language file is in .msi types. When I want to install, as it almost finished installing, the error popped up and said: [ATTACH] I tried to look up in the...
  8. MSI files refuse to install.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MSI files refuse to install.: Hello Lately, I have been having trouble with the .msi format files. Things like the Minecraft installer and the Epic Games Launcher installer have been difficult/impossible. Whenever I double click on a .msi file to install something, it may bring up the wizard, but as...
  9. cannot install .msi files anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot install .msi files anymore: Good day all, All of a sudden, I cannot install .msi files anymore. [img] I tried a few things as a quick fix but no success. Any idea how to resolve this issue ? I’m clueluess and would like to avoid formatting/reinstalling the OS Counting on the geek force within the...
  10. msi package cannot be installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    msi package cannot be installed: When I try to install any msi-based program (in my case VirtualBox but also 7zip) I get following error messages: "the system could not open the specified device or file." and then "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. impossible to open msi files windows 10

2. what it mean MSI file cannot be found