Windows 10: MSI laptop - reboot & now unmountable disk - acpi issue?

Discus and support MSI laptop - reboot & now unmountable disk - acpi issue? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I woke up this morning to my laptop boot-looping to the MSI screen and then going to a Windows message that says, "Unmountable Disk".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bambamboy, Sep 15, 2018.

1. bambamboy Win User

MSI laptop - reboot & now unmountable disk - acpi issue?

Hello, I woke up this morning to my laptop boot-looping to the MSI screen and then going to a Windows message that says, "Unmountable Disk".

Everything I've found online, like booting from the Win10 disk failed by freezing every time. No matter what I've tried, I can't get past initial load - just sits at the black screen forever.

I've had some success to confirm some things. I booted to a live USB of Ubuntu to see if I can access the disks and that proved to be difficult - freezing as it entered the Ubuntu desktop. I was finally able to and can boot successfully into the Ubuntu desktop, but I had to set acpi=off to get it there.

While there, I can access both my 12gb SSD and 1tb sata drives with no issues. I was able to copy off some data and it appears there is no issue with the drives.

Keep in mind - I had to disable ACPI in boot when booting to the Ubuntu live USB stick. If I didn't, it demonstrated the same behavior as when trying to boot via Win10 Boot USB - it just gets stuck on the black screen.

I then created a Win10 bootable USB, using the media creation tool and it seems like it hits the same snag Ubuntu did initially - I get the Windows logo and then it goes black and nothing happens after that.

So at this point I'm not sure where the problem is. Could it be the SSD? It's readable, but not mountable. Is there a way to disable ACPI when booting into the Win10 boot USB? Since it worked with Ubuntu.

I've opened up the laptop, reset the battery on the board, reset bios and upgraded bios to latest.

Is there a way to disable ACPI for Windows or in the bios or to get it to boot straight through?

I'm at a loss here. I don't know what happened and I have no idea how to get past this problem.

Thanks in advance! for any help!

:)

bambamboy, Sep 15, 2018

2. Windows 10 shutdown doesn't unmount despite......

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• How exactly you are trying to unmount the drive. Is it through Command prompt or from Disk management?

• What exactly happens when you try to unmount?

• Did you receive any error message while trying to unmount?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps.

Please close all the Windows before trying the steps.

• Open Disk management.

• Right-click the mounted drive that you want to remove, and then click
      Change Drive Letter and Paths.

• Click Remove, and then click Yes.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Sep 15, 2018
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Laptop battery not charging

Hi Arvind,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

What is the make and model of the laptop?

I suggest you to un-install and re-install battery drivers from Device manager and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Device Manager.
    • Expand Batteries and right click on Batteries ACPI and click on Un-install.
    • Restart the computer and check.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Sep 15, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

How to fix error unmountable boot volume

Hi James,

It is possible that you received the error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME due to a damaged file system which failed to mount. This error also means that sub-system on machine failed to mount the boot volume. To efficiently assist you, we'd like
    to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What is the exact error message you received?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you you follow the steps shared by Michelle Her and
    Billion Debbarma on this threads below to troubleshoot your concern:

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Sep 15, 2018
Thema:

1. MSI laptop - reboot & now unmountable disk - acpi issue? - Similar Threads - MSI laptop reboot

2. msi windows 11 laptop issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    msi windows 11 laptop issue: My Windows 11 laptop is shutting down 1 minute after I login to my user. It is an MSI Gaming Laptop model. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msi-windows-11-laptop-issue/7285fad9-83ad-4a81-97eb-3179e67e409b
  3. Camera issue on MSI laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Camera issue on MSI laptop: Hi guys. I have a problem with my built-in camera. F6 doesn't solve it. Laptop Pulse 15 B13VFK, running on Windows 11. Error code 0xA00F4244. Any suggestions how to solve it?...
  4. Camera issue on MSI laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Camera issue on MSI laptop: Hi guys. I have a problem with my built-in camera. F6 doesn't solve it. Laptop Pulse 15 B13VFK, running on Windows 11. Error code 0xA00F4244. Any suggestions how to solve it?...
  5. unmountable disk volume

unmountable disk volume: I recently installed an app and after which i was asked to restart my computer. However, in the restart, windows refused to boot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-disk-volume/227c5d66-b546-476b-ade2-fd35f60cfa46
  6. unmountable disk volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unmountable disk volume: I recently installed an app and after which i was asked to restart my computer. However, in the restart, windows refused to boot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-disk-volume/227c5d66-b546-476b-ade2-fd35f60cfa46
  7. MSI laptop mic issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSI laptop mic issues: MSI laptop and Razer Kraken X headphones.So my problem is that everytime I try to connect any gaming headphones on my laptop the mic doesn’t seem to be working at all. The speaker is fine completely but everytime I do a mic check it doesn’t get my voice at all. Can anyone...
  8. MSI laptop mic issues

MSI laptop mic issues: MSI laptop and Razer Kraken X headphones.So my problem is that everytime I try to connect any gaming headphones on my laptop the mic doesn’t seem to be working at all. The speaker is fine completely but everytime I do a mic check it doesn’t get my voice at all. Can anyone...
  9. MSI laptop mic issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. unmountable disk volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unmountable disk volume: For some unknown reason, msn has asked me to reset my password numerous times over the past three days. Now I have an error reading on the screen that says "unmountable boot volume" and I can't get past this screen. I do not have a cd rom ....