Windows 10: MSI laptop will not boot up, possible SSD failure

Discus and support MSI laptop will not boot up, possible SSD failure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The PC would not boot up, went into BIOS and displayed this message "checking media presence, media not present\' I inserted a USB recovery drive but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TomP245, Jan 5, 2021.

1. TomP245 Win User

MSI laptop will not boot up, possible SSD failure

The PC would not boot up, went into BIOS and displayed this message "checking media presence, media not present\'

I inserted a USB recovery drive but aborted the installation, this would delete all my files, would it not?

I also wonder if this altered the boot order. I will be attaching photos.

What I suspect happened is that the SSD failed or got disconnected, and the Windows 10 OS is on the SSD drive.

I posted this question on the MSI forum, people suggested I reset BIOS to default, but would this not erase my files?

Thanks in advance for any help MSI laptop will not boot up, possible SSD failure 65ab1ed5-0924-4f2a-abb8-5eb56ad2fad9?upload=true.jpg

:)

TomP245, Jan 5, 2021
  2. swarfega Win User

SSD Failure

Last year I replaced an aging hard drive in my Mum's pc with a slightly less aging OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

This morning she was using the pc just fine then left it until this evening when it suddenly would not boot and reported sata drive failure.

Perhaps I shouldn't be too disappointed considering it was last generation technology.

What should be my first steps in diagnosing this fault? If the drive has failed I may as well suggest it be replaced with a more modern one which I'm sure has better longevity. I have an external drive reader which can take any sata device. This should allow me to see if the data is accessible.

In my own rig I have a Samsung 840 EVO 250 which has served me well so I may suggest she gets the same unless you guys have alternative suggestions.

swarfega, Jan 5, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    MSI bios boot logo (frozen?)

If you have any USB device connected, disconnect for now.
    Go into BIOS:
    1. At boot time, the BIOS is checking for all devices attached to the PC, turn off the MSI boot logo under boot menu so you can see the text displayed of each step and note which device is hanging.
    2. Under Advance->Windows 8/8.1/10: Enable MSI Fast Boot so that BIOS will bypass checking most devices that are none essential for booting. This will improve the boot process. Note that this is different from fast boot that you set in Windows.
    Some third party drivers that you downloaded from the MSI website might not be up to date, try to download the latest driver(s) from the original manufacturers such Intel Chip Set, Network driver etc....

topgundcp, Jan 5, 2021
  4. WiIfred P Win User

install webcam on msi laptop

Hi 1papertiger,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor, an expert with Windows 10 and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand your concern about installing webcam on MSI laptops.

Most laptops have a built-in webcam on it, If it's not working, there's a problem with the driver or settings of it.

Step1: I request you to check for Hidden Devices in Device Manager. Please refer to these steps:

a. On the desktop, press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.

b. Click on View and select Show Hidden Devices.

c. Check for the webcam under Imaging Devices.

d. If the webcam is listed, then right-click on it and select Update Driver Software.

e. Select Browse My Computer for Driver Software and follow the prompted steps.

Step 2: Run the hardware troubleshooter and check if you receive any error messages.

a. On the desktop, press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.

b. Click on it and click on Hardware and Sound.

c. Click on Hardware and Devices and follow the prompted steps.

If the laptop doesn't have a built-in webcam on it, you would need to purchase an external webcam, plug it on your laptop and driver will download automatically.

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

WiIfred P, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

1. MSI laptop will not boot up, possible SSD failure - Similar Threads - MSI laptop boot

2. Problem in Installing SSD in my MSI Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem in Installing SSD in my MSI Laptop: I have a MSI GL65 Leopard 9SCSK laptop, i recently brought SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD, it shows 2 SSD slots in BIOS under PCIE information but when i opened my laptop in the motherboard 2 SSD slots are visible but only 1 of the two which was supporting GEN 3 SSD have the option to...
  3. Problem in Installing SSD in my MSI Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem in Installing SSD in my MSI Laptop: I have a MSI GL65 Leopard 9SCSK laptop, i recently brought SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD, it shows 2 SSD slots in BIOS under PCIE information but when i opened my laptop in the motherboard 2 SSD slots are visible but only 1 of the two which was supporting GEN 3 SSD have the option to...
  4. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC boot up failure: Actually i was resetting my windows 10 pro through the Reset this PC in recovery setting and as my PC was getting a reset, suddenly a power outage took place. Hoping that nothing would have got wrong i started my PC but dang... My PC now just keep on restarting it continously...
  5. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC boot up failure: Actually i was resetting my windows 10 pro through the Reset this PC in recovery setting and as my PC was getting a reset, suddenly a power outage took place. Hoping that nothing would have got wrong i started my PC but dang... My PC now just keep on restarting it continously...
  6. Boot up failure

Boot up failure: Good morning, its been a while since I had a problem, helped by the forum volunteers. Today, our HP Envy suddenly froze and would not respond to anything. I performed an emergency power off, waited 30 seconds and powered on. Nothing although the monitor flickered briefly. I...
  7. Boot up failure

Boot up failure: Hi, My laptop won't boot up, I did an update yesterday, it got interrupted when updating as the battery died, after that I accidently selected to undo the update, and that's when it started going funny. My sister turned it off after a few hours, and it's still continuing...
  8. Long Boot up in new laptop. MSI Stealth GS75

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long Boot up in new laptop. MSI Stealth GS75: I bought this MSI Stealth GS75 with Win 10 Home two months ago. It booted quicker when I first got it, though I was expecting better start up performance. Currently it takes over 3 minutes to boot, that is longer than my 10-year-old 1st Gen i7 Sager it replaced. (The Ryzen...
  9. Long Boot up in new laptop. MSI Stealth GS75

in Windows 10 Support
    Long Boot up in new laptop. MSI Stealth GS75: I bought this MSI Stealth GS75 with Win 10 Home two months ago. It booted quicker when I first got it, though I was expecting better start up performance. Currently it takes over 3 minutes to boot, that is longer than my 10-year-old 1st Gen i7 Sager it replaced. (The Ryzen...
  10. MSI Laptop Stuck in Boot Loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MSI Laptop Stuck in Boot Loop: I have a MSI GV62 8RD-200 laptop that is getting stuck on startup, giving me the message reconstructing cache metadata each time. I've let the computer sit for hours, but it remains stuck on this process, and the computer does not startup in the Recovery Environment after...