Windows 10: msiexec Deploy an MSI with script

Discus and support msiexec Deploy an MSI with script in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I hope this is the right group. I have an application MSI that I need to deploy via group policy startup script.The MSI has a parameter I must... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PhilMaaaaaa, Aug 14, 2021.

1. msiexec Deploy an MSI with script

Hi I hope this is the right group. I have an application MSI that I need to deploy via group policy startup script.The MSI has a parameter I must specify so because of that I believe I must use a Batch file startup script rather than just use the software installation feature in group policy where I don't think I can use parameters.The script would start with msiexec /i followed by the msi path and the parameters. My concern is that this script will launch upon every startup and reinstall the program, which is obviously no good.I think my question is really about the nature of msiexec.Is

:)

PhilMaaaaaa, Aug 14, 2021

2. Windows 10 msiexec (system32) crashing

Bins definitely causes an instant MSIEXEC crash. You do not need to uninstall bins though, just close the utility, do the MSI and then restart it.

pgvoorhees, Aug 14, 2021
  3. olit2000 Win User
    msi package cannot be installed

When I try to install any msi-based program (in my case VirtualBox but also 7zip) I get following error messages: "the system could not open the specified device or file." and then "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
    This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755." when I hit the "install" button.

I have captured the most verbose log I could get and posted it here:
    https://pastebin.com/PZSRQgwy

It seems that the installer is unable to read the msi file.

What I have already tried:

• rebooting
    • re-registering msiexec with msiexec /unreg and msiexec /regserv
    • sfc /scannow
    • this troubleshooter: MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab
    • give everyone full r/w permission to the msi file and parent folder

I run win 10 home build 1809 with all available updates

my av is avast

I have no clue what could have coused this error because a month ago it did work

olit2000, Aug 14, 2021
  4. DwayneD1 Win User

msiexec Deploy an MSI with script

Deploying Powershell Script via GPO on Win Server 2008 R2

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to deploy a PS script via GPO.

I've tried to deploy it as a logon script and separately as a startup script.

It does not seem to execute the script.

When I try to run the script on my own machine I receive the following message:

Set-ExecutionPolicy : Windows PowerShell updated your execution policy successfully, but the setting is overridden by

a policy defined at a more specific scope. Due to the override, your shell will retain its current effective

execution policy of RemoteSigned. Type "Get-ExecutionPolicy -List" to view your execution policy settings. For more

information please see "Get-Help Set-ExecutionPolicy".

At line:1 char:46

+ ... -ne 'AllSigned') { Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process Bypass }; & '\ ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: msiexec Deploy an MSI with script :)) [Set-ExecutionPolicy], SecurityException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExecutionPolicyOverride,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetExecutionPolicyCommand

When I elevate the permissions to admin, it works and I can run the script manually on the machine.

Is there any way in which I can deploy this so that it runs with elevated admin permissions?

Or is there something I need to change or add in order for this to run?

Thanks

DwayneD1, Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

msiexec Deploy an MSI with script

1. msiexec Deploy an MSI with script - Similar Threads - msiexec Deploy MSI

2. Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?: I am on windows 10 and Just after yesterdays update tried to open an msi file suddenly its asking me to choose a file to open it with?? iv tried opening with the original system32 msiexec but it says it cannot recognize it, even tried opening old msi files that I had used in...
  3. Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?: I am on windows 10 and Just after yesterdays update tried to open an msi file suddenly its asking me to choose a file to open it with?? iv tried opening with the original system32 msiexec but it says it cannot recognize it, even tried opening old msi files that I had used in...
  4. Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. MSI installed, but files are not deployed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSI installed, but files are not deployed: Hi all. I wrote a simple program and put it in an msi file, version - 1.0.0.0Installing the msi works great and all files are deployed properly Then I created an update version - 1.0.0.1Installing it results in both versions being written in add remove programsBUT, in some...
  6. MSI installed, but files are not deployed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSI installed, but files are not deployed: Hi all. I wrote a simple program and put it in an msi file, version - 1.0.0.0Installing the msi works great and all files are deployed properly Then I created an update version - 1.0.0.1Installing it results in both versions being written in add remove programsBUT, in some...
  7. MSI installed, but files are not deployed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. msiexec access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    msiexec access denied: Hello, Having got my new OC (10 Enterprise). I've done all the updating it required so it's fully up to date. I started to install all my programs. A few days later the install programs stopped working, both msi and exe. From what I can tell it's "msiexec.exe" which has...
  9. MSIEXEC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MSIEXEC: So recently I tried installing this msi file. Completely normal, it asked me what app i wanted to use and i selected the first one : However the file does not install and it keeps asking me the same question over and over again even if i press ok it doesnt change. Any...
  10. msiexec no reboot option

in Windows 10 Support
    msiexec no reboot option: whats wrong with this command as i dont want it to restart after it uninstalls sep but it restarts start /wait MsiExec.exe /X {8097EE64-FDE1-409A-B25D-3DFD862871E1} /passive /norestart 84867