Windows 10: Msiinstaller Event ID 11606 / Error 1606 when Office 2016 attempts to update

Discus and support Msiinstaller Event ID 11606 / Error 1606 when Office 2016 attempts to update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When attempting to install the updates for Office 2016 on Windows 10 Enterprise wokstation I'm getting the following in the Application Event Viewer:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HiramAbiff316, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Msiinstaller Event ID 11606 / Error 1606 when Office 2016 attempts to update

When attempting to install the updates for Office 2016 on Windows 10 Enterprise wokstation I'm getting the following in the Application Event Viewer:

Product: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 -- Error 1606. Could not access network location Location of your Public rootfolder\Desktop\.

Most of the searching I've done points to KB articles that are dead links on Microsoft. I did find the KB in an archive site that suggested it was a problem in the registry. I checked the registry and even compared it with another working system - they're the same. The links I did find also pointed to a registry issue. The keys I was looking at were:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

and that has: Desktop REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

and that has: Common Desktop REG_EXPAND_SZ %PUBLIC%\Desktop

I ran a #sfc /SCANNOW and rebooted, still getting the same error. Looking for any ideas at all.

:)

HiramAbiff316, Sep 16, 2020

2. Office 2016 AirSpaceChannel Event Log Error

Pretty Pootie, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Installing or attempting to uninstall any application causes Message Id: 1606 Could not access network location *:.

I cannot install or uninstall any application on my system. Also system restore does not work either and fails with the same error.

Installing or attempting to uninstall any application causes Message Id: 1606 Could not access network location *:.

Daniel Byrne (dbyrne), Sep 16, 2020
  4. Msiinstaller Event ID 11606 / Error 1606 when Office 2016 attempts to update

Office 2016 AirSpaceChannel Event Log Error

^^ Now this, Larry, is a decent reply! Kudos to you! And shame on these lame, so-called MS helpdesk 'Engineers' who just blab about disabling your Anti-Virus software. Can't believe someone is actually paying those people!

Again, you have my gratitude, Sir!

meimeiriver2, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Msiinstaller Event ID 11606 / Error 1606 when Office 2016 attempts to update

1. Msiinstaller Event ID 11606 / Error 1606 when Office 2016 attempts to update - Similar Threads - Msiinstaller Event 11606

2. Error 0xc0000142 when attempting to to open office apps after the office update splash...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error 0xc0000142 when attempting to to open office apps after the office update splash...: Any ideas? This has totally fucked up my work schedule right now and I need this working again by tomorrow. PC is 100% free of malware and well taken care of. Repairing office changes nothing. submitted by /u/IntrepidPepper [link] [comments]...
  3. Office 2016 updates "error 0x8024002d"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office 2016 updates "error 0x8024002d": Hi, recently for some reasons I uninstalled MS Office 2016, however while in the process by mistake I went in Settings and checked for updates. The Windows 10 found the updates from the picture below but they couldn't be installed. Then I restarted my PC, went to the...
  4. Installing or attempting to uninstall any application causes Message Id: 1606 Could not...

Installing or attempting to uninstall any application causes Message Id: 1606 Could not...: I cannot install or uninstall any application on my system. Also system restore does not work either and fails with the same error. Installing or attempting to uninstall any application causes Message Id: 1606 Could not access network location *:....
  5. Installing or attempting to uninstall any application causes Message Id: 1606 Could not...

Installing or attempting to uninstall any application causes Message Id: 1606 Could not...: I cannot install or uninstall any application on my system. Also system restore does not work either and fails with the same error. Installing or attempting to uninstall any application causes Message Id: 1606 Could not access network location *:....
  6. Event 0, Office 2016 Licensing Service Error

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Event 0, Office 2016 Licensing Service Error: Does anyone have any idea how to fix this error? The description for Event ID 0 from source Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install...
  7. Error installing Office 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Error installing Office 2016: HELP!!! I always get an error before the installer finish its installation. In my Previous OS(Windows 7 Ultimate), Office 2016 works fine. Few weeks after Installing Windows 10, something went wrong and everytime I open Word it asks to repair it. I already tried repairing...
  8. Event ID 1 warning & Event ID 2 error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Event ID 1 warning & Event ID 2 error: Hello, After Fall Creators update I'm seeing 1 error and 1 warning in the Event Viewer which I'm not able to resolve. Event ID 1 The backing-file for the real-time session "DefenderApiLogger" has reached its maximum size. As a result, new events will not be logged to...
  9. Event ID 10016

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Event ID 10016: Here is a previous thread about it: Windows 10 Event ID 10010 and 10016 Errors With DistributedCOM - Windows 10 Forums I did run Regedit (as an admin) and did go to that entry in HKEY and did try to change permissions, but I get access denied. What to do now? 100s...
  10. Event id 10016

in Windows 10 Support
    Event id 10016: I, like many other Win10 users, am getting a lot of DCOM Eventid 10016 events logged. I've seen a number of explanations (which I haven't understood) and several solutions. However, I have not seen a clear description of what requests are failing and what the result of the...