Windows 10: msinfo: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) figure is incorrect

Discus and support msinfo: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) figure is incorrect in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 8GB of Physical RAM installed upon my PC (2 slots of 4GB cards), and 7936MB setup for the Paging file size. msinfo is showing: Installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ANoviceUser, Aug 18, 2019.

1. msinfo: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) figure is incorrect

I have 8GB of Physical RAM installed upon my PC (2 slots of 4GB cards), and 7936MB setup for the Paging file size.

msinfo is showing:

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB <--- ?????

Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB <-- Correct

Available Physical Memory 5.90 GB

Total Virtual Memory 15.7 GB <-- Correct

Available Virtual Memory 13.7 GB

Why is the "Installed Physical Memory (RAM)" showing up as 12.0 GB?

Unfortunately, it's also the figure being shown on "Control Panel\System and Security\System" "Installed memory (RAM):" - which is where I usually go to view memory configuration for a PC, but just happened to notice this "change" following a recent pushed update.

I've tried Googling for an answer but keep coming up with different scenarios which dont explain the change I am seeing... it was correct before, and is correctly shown on another of my PC's running Windows 10... so what could possibly be causing this discrepancy ?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro N

Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock

BaseBoard Product G41C-GS

:)

ANoviceUser, Aug 18, 2019
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

Installed Memory(RAM)

Hi Jyotirmay,

Base on the screenshot you provided, it means you have a 3.5 GB usable memory out of the 4 GB memory installed. The amount of usable memory that you see is not exact amount. Usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus "hardware
    reserved" memory.

The reduction of the available system memory depends on the configuration of the following:

• The devices that are installed in the computer and the memory that is reserved by those devices.
    • The ability of the motherboard to handle memory.
    • The System BIOS version and settings.
    • The version of Windows that is installed
    • Other system settings.

If you find that much of your RAM is regularly being used, consider adding more RAM if possible, especially if your PC only has 1 or 2 gigabytes (GB) of RAM. To learn more about what kind of RAM your PC model uses, first look at the memory info in Task Manager,
    and then visit the PC manufacturer’s website for more specific info.

msinfo: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) figure is incorrect adbf94c8-6e3b-47cd-870a-1807aaea723e?upload=true.png

• Type of memory (RAM) PC uses
    • RAM speed
    • Memory slots used

Here’s some info about the minimum memory requirements for Windows 10:

• Windows 10 (32-bit) can run on a PC with 1 GB of RAM, but it runs better with 2 GB. For better performance, add memory so you have 3 GB or more.
    • Windows 10 (64-bit) can run on a PC with 2 GB of RAM, but it runs better with 4 GB. For better performance, add memory so you have 6 GB or more.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rey Bel1, Aug 18, 2019
  3. Windows 10 incorrect memory

Hi Kulvir,

Your system may display a usable memory (RAM) which is less than the installed memory. This is because the usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus the
    Hardware Reserved Memory which is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals.

To view the installed memory and the usable memory in Windows 10, follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer, right-click This PC, then choose
      Properties.
    • View the Installed memory (RAM) value under System.

For example, if it displays 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable), this means that you have
    15.9 GB of usable memory out of 16.0 GB of installed memory.

Feel free to post back if you have further concerns.

Angela Pun, Aug 18, 2019
  4. prashii Win User

msinfo: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) figure is incorrect

Windows shows 8GB RAM installed but 4GB RAM is usable

Hi There,

I've just upgraded my pc from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM. Windows seems to have detected this upgrade but why does it show as only 4GB RAM available. The following is what I have tried so far with no luck:

• I have tried the msconfig method on ensuring maximum memory is not checked.
    • physically removed the new RAM and reinstalled it
    Any thoughts/suggestions on how i can resolve this matter?

Thanks

prashii, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

msinfo: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) figure is incorrect

1. msinfo: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) figure is incorrect - Similar Threads - msinfo Installed Physical

2. How to allocate more memory ram from total to physical ram?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to allocate more memory ram from total to physical ram?: Hello, recently I have noticed I have not been using fully my physical ram. In total i have 16GB, but actually i am using only upto 8GB. I would like to change that number to at least 12-14GB, or to fully use my 16GB RAM. System information: https://i.imgur.com/9heXoKQ.png...
  3. Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM': Hello, Today I lauched a Forza Horizon for the first time in a while and it crashed after just passing the initial start screen before loading into the game. After closing the game I attempted again to lauch, same issue although thistime my google chrome crashed with it. I...
  4. Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM'

Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM': Hello, Today I lauched a Forza Horizon for the first time in a while and it crashed after just passing the initial start screen before loading into the game. After closing the game I attempted again to lauch, same issue although thistime my google chrome crashed with it. I...
  5. Low Amount of 'Total Physical Memory' compared to 'Installed Physical Memory RAM'

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Installing PHYSICAL RAM..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing PHYSICAL RAM..: Hi! Stumped here. I have Win 10 running on an ASUS board with 4 Gig installed memory. Want to add additional 4 Gig of exact Manufacturer memory specs. Memory checks out when tested. Windows 10 will start with no problems using either set of 4 Gig packs but will not get past...
  7. Installing PHYSICAL RAM..

Installing PHYSICAL RAM..: Hi! Stumped here. I have Win 10 running on an ASUS board with 4 Gig installed memory. Want to add additional 4 Gig of exact Manufacturer memory specs. Memory checks out when tested. Windows 10 will start with no problems using either set of 4 Gig packs but will not get past...
  8. Installing PHYSICAL RAM..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Installed Physical Memory RAM is 8.0GB, available memory is 3.83 GB?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed Physical Memory RAM is 8.0GB, available memory is 3.83 GB?: Why is it like this? how can I fix it? is it hardware or software problem? Could my hard disk being almost full be a cause for such problem? i have about 10 GB availablie from 500GB Thanks! My laptop is asus and here is the system info. OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro...
  10. Installed physical RAM vs Total physical RAM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installed physical RAM vs Total physical RAM: Hello everyone, I tried to install 16 GB of RAM to my computer, instead of the initial 8 I had. But when I add the new RAM in total 4x4 GB of RAM, and they are the same kind. the installed RAM increases to 16 but the total physical RAM hence the total usable RAM remains 8...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. psinfo physical memory wrong

2. installed physical memory missing

3. msinfo shows incorrect NUMA

4. msinfo32 installed physical memory (RAM)