Windows 10: MsMpEng.exe excessive disk usage problem.

Discus and support MsMpEng.exe excessive disk usage problem. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a problem, when I start my computer the HD runs continuously to the point where nothing else can execute. This goes on for about 15 minutes and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dusan_03, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Dusan_03 Win User

MsMpEng.exe excessive disk usage problem.

I have a problem, when I start my computer the HD runs continuously to the point where nothing else can execute. This goes on for about 15 minutes and then everything is normal. Process Explorer seems to indicate that two apps (MsMpEng.exe and svchost.exe) are doing all the I/O. They both show about a half a gig of I/O. I use only MS Essentials, no other anti-malware on the system. I do use Secunia. I have a Dell Dimension 9100 with a couple of GB of memory running XP3 fully patched with auto-update turned on and the firewall turned on. I have done disk cleanup and defrag and a full MRT scan. I use the latest version of MS Essentials. I can provide a screen shot of Process Explorer and complete system info. I would appreciate any suggestions.

:)

Dusan_03, Jul 26, 2018

2. Off the chart (literally!) disk usage

Try the steps found here. And happy birthday!

6a27b4c8-cc35-41ee-877a-d2e6419f87ca, Jul 26, 2018
  3. Rihards Win User
    MsMpEng extreme and almost constant disk usage after Windows update (aprox.2016-08-03)

MsMpEng and System constantly (mostly) reads disk at high rate. The problem has started couple of days ago. The only thing that was installed during that time was windows update (ok and Adobe and Steam updates).

After some time the disk activity will stop, however it will resume sometime latter.
    And no, I had not installed any third party security applications.

In resource monitor it can be seen that Diks activity is 2-8 mb/sec and process name is either System or MsMpEng .

Sometimes there are significant pagefile usage (computer has 4gb) and nothing is currently running (like now I am running only Internet Explorer with this Microsoft page and my Windows are using pagefile like there is no tomorow) . When pagefile usage creeps
    up then all kinds of processes are using the pagefile. However resource monitor memory tab shows bigest process beeing MsMpEng with 644kb (note again it should not cause 4gb system to run out of memory). Right now system is writing 2mb/sec (read 0.4kb/sec) to
    pagefile and MsMpEng is reading 2mb/sec from pagefile.

And no, running said Windows defender does not show up any viruses.

Basicaly - this is rant about apparently bugy latest Windows update.

Rihards, Jul 26, 2018
  4. Alan C. Win User

msmpeng.exe results in full disk usage o Windows 10.

Could Krishna Prasobh V from Microsoft please read the problem statement with more care. The problem was Disk usage not CPU usage.

This is also a problem many people are having. Could MS insure that a expert investigation is done and the solution, if one exists, appears at the top of the search list when looking for MsMpEng related
    postings.

I don't see that this is too much to ask given the amount of experts available to Microsoft and Programs to code prioritisation features into the online search engine.

Alan C., Jul 26, 2018
Thema:

1. MsMpEng.exe excessive disk usage problem. - Similar Threads - MsMpEng exe excessive

2. Excessive RAM usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Excessive RAM usage: Why CMD.exe uses a lot of RAM of my laptop ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-ram-usage/dacef1e8-85fc-4bc5-b7da-eda5cde26715
  3. Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam: My HD is being consumed by Steam, it is using 253 GB out of 465 GB total, I might only have 157 GB worth of applications, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-253-gb-disk-usage-by-steam/24fe38a0-ca49-4241-87ab-aadd79ada742
  4. Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam: My HD is being consumed by Steam, it is using 253 GB out of 465 GB total, I might only have 157 GB worth of applications, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-253-gb-disk-usage-by-steam/24fe38a0-ca49-4241-87ab-aadd79ada742
  5. Excessive GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive GPU usage: The solitaire from microsoft started to use EXCESSIVE gpu usage from 50 - 90%. I am thinking that it's a virus but i am not sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-gpu-usage/29ef51da-89ba-4f5b-a3a2-4de0d791f873
  6. Excessive GPU usage

Excessive GPU usage: The solitaire from microsoft started to use EXCESSIVE gpu usage from 50 - 90%. I am thinking that it's a virus but i am not sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-gpu-usage/29ef51da-89ba-4f5b-a3a2-4de0d791f873
  7. Excessive memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive memory usage: How can Windows use so much memory and not have a way to clean it? When I installed it, the system didn't take up that much, I left the SDD only for the system and the HD for my programs, today I opened a guide on the Microsoft website to clean the C: disk, but there are...
  8. Excessive memory usage

Excessive memory usage: How can Windows use so much memory and not have a way to clean it? When I installed it, the system didn't take up that much, I left the SDD only for the system and the HD for my programs, today I opened a guide on the Microsoft website to clean the C: disk, but there are...
  9. MsMpEng taking 100% disk usage when a file is moved

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MsMpEng taking 100% disk usage when a file is moved: Hello,I have folders on my W10 desktop filled with video footage in .mp4 format.When ever I move a file from one folder to another, MsMpEng files up an uses up 100% disk usage, then the file moves.Why is it scanning files already on my computer. These files have been scanned...
  10. Excessive disk usage since update yesterday

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Excessive disk usage since update yesterday: I seem to have excessive disk usage since yesterday. I restarted the computer ie. Restart; not just shut down and start and left it running all night and this morning still the excessive disk usage. See the Screen Shot below. Sometimes it gets up to 100% but rarely drops...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. MsMpEng.exe always accessing the HDD

2. msmpeng.exe crashing servers

3. MsMpEng.exe always running

4. msmpeng excessive memory consumption,
  5. MsMpEng.exe excessive activity,
  6. Connected Devices Platform User Service disk i/o,
  7. msmpeng disk usage server 2016,
  8. msmpeng.exe excessive disk usage problem.