Windows 10: MsMpEng.exe use large amount of I/O write bytes

Discus and support MsMpEng.exe use large amount of I/O write bytes in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1909 I notice that MsMpEng.exe a.k.a. Windows Defender Antivirus Service is doing large amount of I/O write bytes... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Clement.Yip, Jul 7, 2020.

1. MsMpEng.exe use large amount of I/O write bytes

I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1909
    I notice that MsMpEng.exe a.k.a. Windows Defender Antivirus Service is doing large amount of I/O write bytes on my hard disk.

It's one of the top offender in I/O write bytes usage. I could see this from Task Manager.

e.g. On my machine, it's writing close to 4GB of data on disk. And I can see it continually does that on the background.

I'm just wondering.

I can certainly understand that Antivirus would do a lot of Disk Reading, as it's doing a lot of scanning and real-time monitoring.

However, I cannot understand what it's doing with such huge amount of "I/O write bytes".

What kind of data it's trying to write, of such huge amount?

Log files or even definition updates would not be that large.

I certainly understand and appreciate the important job Windows Defender Antivirus is doing.

I rely on it, and I would give it a high rating. And I think it deserve good amount of computing resource for doing such important job.

However, I'm just perplexed at this behavior, and wonder if anyone might know.

:)

Clement.Yip, Jul 7, 2020

2. MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU.

In that case, try to add MsMpEng.exe to the exclusion list:
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe"

TairikuOkami, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Jul 7, 2020
  4. MsMpEng.exe use large amount of I/O write bytes

Windows 10 100% Disk Usage on startup.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.

Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

MsMpEng.exe use large amount of I/O write bytes

1. MsMpEng.exe use large amount of I/O write bytes - Similar Threads - MsMpEng exe large

2. O byte files . Infected, recover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    O byte files . Infected, recover: GoodmorningHad used a sundisk flash on my laptop. Most of the files on the laptop were turned to 0byte files and got infected. Help me recover all my files and be able to open and use them. Have used most of the tricks of removing the virus but sill the files are not opening...
  3. conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.: conhost.exe as shown in the screenshot is using high amounts of memory. When I first booted up my laptop Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 it was at 2000 MEGABYTES! 2 WHOLE gigabytes of ram...Things I have tried:Step 1: Run the SFC.Click on the Start button, Type CMD.Right click on CMD...
  4. conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.

conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.: conhost.exe as shown in the screenshot is using high amounts of memory. When I first booted up my laptop Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 it was at 2000 MEGABYTES! 2 WHOLE gigabytes of ram...Things I have tried:Step 1: Run the SFC.Click on the Start button, Type CMD.Right click on CMD...
  5. Large amount of ram being used nothing

Large amount of ram being used nothing: Ok so i feel like this question has been answered a billion times, but no matter what forum or video I look i can't find the answer for me. Even when I am not running any games or anything, the amount of ram that is being used seems to be way more than all of the processes...
  6. Large amount of ram being used nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Large amount of ram being used nothing: Ok so i feel like this question has been answered a billion times, but no matter what forum or video I look i can't find the answer for me. Even when I am not running any games or anything, the amount of ram that is being used seems to be way more than all of the processes...
  7. Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop Window Manager using large amounts of RAM: My Windows 10 version: 2004 Three months ago, I began noticing Desktop Window Manager using high amounts of RAM. I would usually see the process using between 3000 and 5000 MB, but one time saw it using over 7000MB (I have 12 GB of RAM). For a while, I was unable to determine...
  8. READ WRITE BITS and BYTES

READ WRITE BITS and BYTES: Hi, When setting up a chip, I have to WRITE specific BITs into the registers. In order to check them, I then READ them back. When I READ I see them on a serial output as Ascii Decimal, so not as writen to the chip which would lokk like this e,g, 0x1B. What method do you use...
  9. The CPU load is higher if a large amount of memory is used !?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The CPU load is higher if a large amount of memory is used !?: I am asking this question thinking at Windows search service and other. I get'it, indexing files make them more easy and fast to access, reducing the time needed to find them, implicit the CPU usage, but, if I have a very old computer, it is good to stop this service since I...
  10. Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    Runtime Broker Using large amounts of CPU: Hello, i just want to start by saying that i know it may seem like i'm rambling a bit, but i'm very stressed out at the moment. I'm running windows 10 Home 64-bit The process runtimebroker is eating up a lot of cpu for me. I have looked deeply into this problem, but no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msmpeng.exe i/o write bytes too hogh