Windows 10: MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU.

Discus and support MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So I have tried everything I have read but this issue is not going away. So I can't seem to get this program to stop using all my cpu. I have tried... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Danielzxzx, Nov 3, 2016.

1. MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU.

So I have tried everything I have read but this issue is not going away. So I can't seem to get this program to stop using all my cpu.

I have tried the following I have read in the following order:
    1. Told Windows Defender to stop scanning itself.
    2. Installed a different Anti-virus so it turns off Windows Defender.
    3. Add in that registry key to disable Windows Defender.

Windows Defender is not running for sure as I can't open it anymore due to the registry key but MsMpEng is still running and using all my cpu. I also did do a scan with both Windows Defender and my new antivirus program as well as Malwarebytes. No threats found. Ran CCleaner to see if that could find anything. Nothing.

So I give up. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I've also tried to change the affinity of the program but "access is denied".

So anything else I missed? I'm able to get this fixed so I can continue using Windows Defenders as I'm use to that, that would be great, if not and I have to use another anti virus program that is fine too, but then how do I completely get rid of MsMpEng.exe?

:)

Danielzxzx, Nov 3, 2016
  2. Polyfun Win User

Prevent windows defender from scanning during games

I get exactly the same problem as Zsigma:

• Windows 10 Pro x64
    • WIndows Defender process MsMpEng.exe will unpredictably take up to 50% of CPU.
    • If this happens whilst I am playing games, then the game will lag badly.
    • Windows Defender is not running a schedule scan.
    • Procmon shows Defender is accessing lots of my documents etc files.
    • Turning off real-time protection whilst gaming is a workaround, but it is not ideal.
    • What I really what is for Defender to detect that my PC is not idle and therefore to stop hogging the CPU.

Polyfun, Nov 3, 2016
  3. balanmech Win User
    high load of cpu usage

cpu % increased over 50 to 55% even in idle ...??

and this (plugin 32bit ) its using lot of it should I end it???

balanmech, Nov 3, 2016
  4. MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU.

Download "Disable WD.bat", run it as admin and then restart the computer.

TairikuOkami, Nov 3, 2016
  5. Thanks for the reply but I prefer not doing things like that unless it's a last resort. I want to see if there are any other options first. I did notice that the "WinDefend" service status is currently "Stopping" and never actually finishing. I wonder if that could be because of the high cpu. I now want to see what it was doing before switching anti virus.

Danielzxzx, Nov 3, 2016
  6. Windows Defender has 4 services, which can keep running, even when it is disabled. MsMpENG being one of them.

7. I wanted to see if I could fix Windows Defender first before actually switching for the a new antivirus so that was what I meant about not wanting to run right away.

Anyway, it turns out I somehow fixed it. I wanted to see what the status said if I was to uninstall the new anti virus and reenable Windows Defender. Turns out that somehow actually fixed the issue.

So I guess there is a new solution. Install a different antivirus and then uninstall that antivirus.

Danielzxzx, Nov 3, 2016
  8. MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU.

In that case, try to add MsMpEng.exe to the exclusion list:
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe"

9. That was something I had actually tried before but didn't fix the issue.

Danielzxzx, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU.

1. MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU. - Similar Threads - MsMpENG exe using

2. WinGet COM Server using 50% of my cpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinGet COM Server using 50% of my cpu: Today, i heard my fans went fast as hell. Then when i went to taskbar, i saw "Winget COM Servers" using 50-98% of my cpu. Then. I tried doing solutions but none worked.. pls help....
  3. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU: On the latest update of windows 10, windows explorer is using upwards of 50% of my cpu consistently. Deleting temp files did nothing.I have no clue what is going on, so any help is appreciated.System Specs:i7-479016gb ram1tb hddnvidia quadro k2000 2gbchassis is an optiplex...
  4. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU: On the latest update of windows 10, windows explorer is using upwards of 50% of my cpu consistently. Deleting temp files did nothing.I have no clue what is going on, so any help is appreciated.System Specs:i7-479016gb ram1tb hddnvidia quadro k2000 2gbchassis is an optiplex...
  5. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

6. osprivacy svchost.exe taking up over 50% of CPU Windows 11

osprivacy svchost.exe taking up over 50% of CPU Windows 11: It randomly keeps happening recently and sometimes when I play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 osprivacy takes over 50% of my CPU and my whole game lags.What’s even more annoying is that when I try to browse the internet sometimes my whole computer lags crazy because of...
  7. osprivacy svchost.exe taking up over 50% of CPU Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    osprivacy svchost.exe taking up over 50% of CPU Windows 11: It randomly keeps happening recently and sometimes when I play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 osprivacy takes over 50% of my CPU and my whole game lags.What’s even more annoying is that when I try to browse the internet sometimes my whole computer lags crazy because of...
  8. ntoskrnl.exe using 50% of cpu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ntoskrnl.exe using 50% of cpu.: The process appears as System in task manager and shows the .exe name when clicked on properties. Its using a lot of the cpu, and id like to know how to fix that. It wasnt like that a few days ago. Thanks submitted by /u/Luis_Santeliz [link] [comments]...
  9. HP Computer is slow, Normal CPU is over 50% when using simple apllications.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP Computer is slow, Normal CPU is over 50% when using simple apllications.: Hi there, My name is Julian. My HP computer (3-4 months) has been running quite slowly. Even from the day I got it it has been slow, and now it's gotten worse. After the computer goes to sleep, when I wake it up, it freezes for 1-5 minutes. Opening most apps brings the CPU...
  10. system has 149 threads, uses 50% cpu?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    system has 149 threads, uses 50% cpu?: Task manager shows 50% cpu, and process monitor shows a bunch of log files being written like ntfs log, no reads. Sounds nutty. If its an optimization, it should read too right? (haha) Win10 1803, core2duo, 4gigs of ram. 120235
Tags: