Windows 10: MSN opeing on connectig to Internet

Discus and support MSN opeing on connectig to Internet in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; As the title says... this has only just started happening post last update KB4074588 I Googled it and searched here only advice I got was quite... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Andyr, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Andyr Win User

MSN opeing on connectig to Internet

As the title says... this has only just started happening post last update KB4074588
    I Googled it and searched here only advice I got was quite stupid to be honest...
    Anyway I tried the registry hack... it worked 50% MSN now does not load now in the default browser (Firefox) it now loads in IE 11 instead..
    Nope my home page is not MSN in either browser (have not checked Edge though, just thought) and no there are no start up bollocks either or virus other than Win10 itself.... in short no nothing that I can find other than this mofo of an update.

Any suggestions guys please ? other than running around the room wearing a pink hat and blaming the Trump character for everything lol

:)

Andyr, Feb 26, 2018
  2. Tauberth Win User

Using the GPS with a Nokia e75

I want to use the GPS with my Nokia E75 without connectig the Internet. Is it possible??

Tauberth, Feb 26, 2018
  3. 19910913 Win User
    How to disable auto connecting to internet?

Hi, I have some problems with nokia n97 mini. The problem is auto connectig to internet, then i disable active connections, after ~30 seconds it auto connects again. So how disable this ?

Thanks.

19910913, Feb 26, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Try and explain calmly exactly what is happening, what you have done and what you expect.

MSN is opening where? In what browser? All? Some?
    What stupid advice did you find and did you act on it?
    What registry hack did you do?

5. Andyr Win User
    Looked for start up entries = none
    Used a registry hack = result MSN opens up in IE rather than the default I have set FF
    The stupid advice is too long to state besides it does not work...
    The specific reg hack is:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet\EnableActiveProbing
    Change the value to 0
    Doing that only changes which browser MSN opens in IE rather than FF (default)
    Thank you for taking the time to assist, much appreciated.

Andyr, Feb 26, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    So are you saying that IE opens automatically and shows MSN page when you start your PC?

7. Andyr Win User
    As soon as I connect to the Internet the browser opens by itself and load up MSN... as I said this has only started happening since the last update that was KB4074588 for me.

Andyr, Feb 27, 2018
  8. torre Win User

Random thoughts:

- Is the page that opens the MSN homepage or the MSN page on Win10 which identifies new features ?

- Run AdwCleaner and your AV. AdwCleaner - Free Adware Cleaner & Removal Tool

- Uninstall KB4074588 to determine if it is indeed the issue. Will need to reinstall (critical update)

- Are you running a dual boot ? Specs say os Win10 and Win7.

- Also, consider a System Restore to bring registry back to normal and it would also eliminate KB4074588. Then reinistall.

torre, Feb 28, 2018
  9. Andyr Win User
    It's the news home page not a features page.
    Just ran that now and nothing was detected in the scan.
    Uninstalled KB4074588 yesterday and the problem does disappear but it's reinstalled itself again now and the problem is back.
    No I am not running a duel boot system.
    A system restore in the past has never fixed a single problem I have had unfortunately.

It was suggested elsewhere that deleting the old FF profile and making a new one would fix the problem, however that does not work either even if you remove FF altogether MSN just opens up in IE instead in the same way as if you use the registry hack I mentioned.

For some reason quite a number of people have had this same problem going back a few years but most of them managed to fix it whereas others have not.
    Apparently the problem arises when Win10 is testing Internet connectivity for some reason...

I have another idea though that I have just thought of so will test that and update this thread as to if it works or not.

Andyr, Feb 28, 2018
  10. Andyr Win User
    I have actually found the problem !

Since KB4074588 if I do not close my VPN program (Vyper VPN) before shutting down or putting the computer to sleep windows networking will automatically add the VPN to the network list but without any of the required information filled out... so it makes sense now that Win10 is actually testing connectivity and since the VPN is not running / connected the MSN page gets loaded up (I gather becasue that is the URL they are using to test).

So the solution is to remove the VPN from the available list and make sure the VPN program is not running before I shut down or put the computer to sleep.

Something must have changed with that KB4074588 then relating to how connectivity is tested / what is tested, at least it's sorted now it was driving me nuts... thank you for the suggestions anyway guys.

Andyr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. MSN opeing on connectig to Internet - Similar Threads - MSN opeing connectig

2. Why is MSN moderation the worst on the Internet?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is MSN moderation the worst on the Internet?: MSN moderation by AI is the most absurd incompetent thing on the Internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-msn-moderation-the-worst-on-the-internet/195a5f08-a40f-41a2-91bd-e958e278ee69
  3. Why is MSN moderation the worst on the Internet?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is MSN moderation the worst on the Internet?: MSN moderation by AI is the most absurd incompetent thing on the Internet. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-msn-moderation-the-worst-on-the-internet/195a5f08-a40f-41a2-91bd-e958e278ee69
  4. Files ope on their own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files ope on their own: hi i have several USB ports on my computer. However when i plug something in or unplug a device file folders keep opening up automatically. Is there any way to stop this? When i insert a device is one thing but when i unpluug something all of the file folders keep opening....
  5. Files ope on their own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files ope on their own: hi i have several USB ports on my computer. However when i plug something in or unplug a device file folders keep opening up automatically. Is there any way to stop this? When i insert a device is one thing but when i unpluug something all of the file folders keep opening....
  6. Files ope on their own

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Internet login page leads to MSN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet login page leads to MSN: So when I connect any sort of internet to my PC no matter if its ethernet or WIFI, there is access to internet, but at the bottom, it says :(no internet access). and it takes me to the "login page" when I diagnose which is MSN. I really dot know what the problem is, I even...
  8. Word not opeing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word not opeing: Hi, I have this same problem. "when i try to open Microsoft office word, then it does not open, any file in Microsoft office word in the computer is not opening, PowerPoint, Excel and others do open but but just word is not opening, i went into PowerPoint and i took help...
  9. opeing pdf

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    opeing pdf: Respected personnel, 1. I met with problem in opening a pdf document on my windows 10. When I open, it is in the form of Microsoft Edge. Is it needed to download a pdf reader by searching with Store? 2. When I record something in powerpoint using screen...
  10. Opeing the mail in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opeing the mail in Windows 10: I am suddenly not able to get the mail function to open? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opeing-the-mail-in-windows-10/739621a3-3f87-47f1-b83a-439b094a39ff