Windows 10: MSTS [Microsoft Train Simulator]

Discus and support MSTS [Microsoft Train Simulator] in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey everyone! I have a few questions that I hope somebody might have the answers to: How do I download Microsoft Train Simulator the right way? How... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Joseph [Joey] Pulone, Dec 19, 2020.

1. MSTS [Microsoft Train Simulator]

Hey everyone!

I have a few questions that I hope somebody might have the answers to:

1. How do I download Microsoft Train Simulator the right way?
    2. How can I make it so that it can run on a Windows 10 PC?

I have always enjoyed watching gameplay of this program on YouTube, and I just thought it would be cool if I could get it for myself. I know it's an older game and others are concerned about the issue with the software being unable to run on modern platforms.

Thanks and best regards,

Joseph "Joey" Pulone

:)

Joseph [Joey] Pulone, Dec 19, 2020
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Microsoft Train Simulator

From Wikipedia:

"On January 23, 2009, Microsoft announced that it was permanently closing ACES Game Studios, the internal development studio responsible for both Microsoft Flight Simulator and Microsoft Train Simulator. As a result, all future development on Train Simulator
    ... was immediately halted."

Since the project ended long before Windows 10, there is obviously no support for MSTS on Windows 10 so it's not likely to work properly. You're on your own. Perhaps you can search the internet for a MSTS fan group that can offer ideas to help you.

BulldogXX, Dec 19, 2020
  3. Jackison Win User
    Microsoft Train Simulator vs. Flight Simulator X powered by Steam

Does anyone know why Microsoft is supporting Flight Simulator X with Steam but not Microsoft Train Simulator? These two simulators are about 4 years apart so I don't know if they are going to or have supported Microsoft Train Simulator
    already. I just downloaded my childhood favorite train simulator on my latest and updated laptop and MSTS doesn't work. I download FSX and it works fine and discovered it is supported by Microsoft and Steam. I have tried to update MSTS from other sites (like
    Trainsim) and unable to find direct support from Microsoft so far for MSTS. Does anyone have ideas?

Jackison, Dec 19, 2020
  4. MSTS [Microsoft Train Simulator]

Train Simulator Content

Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS) has been off the market for nearly a decade (since the Activision release disappeared) and closing in on two since MS itself stopped selling it, but it's still the basis for an active enthusiast community. It was the first
    and still, as a single program, most successful train simulator game, partly due to timing and partly to its relatively open attitude toward re-use of scenery and train objects in add-on content. Many add-on routes have been developed, and many (arguably,
    most) of the free ones make use of some objects in the default routes. MSTS provides, in effect, a standard library of objects and trains that are used in add-on content. That requires that one have MSTS installed, of course. To get a copy of MSTS these days
    requires getting either a used copy or a pirated copy.

That huge collection of community-developed add-on content for MSTS will never be duplicated in newer train sims, much like with Flight Sim, and some are true works of art. MSTS itself (if you have a copy) requires heroic measures to run in modern versions
    of Windows (especially after 7) - it can't be just installed with any expectation of working correctly, even if the old CDs (especially Disk 2) can be read, and necessary updates are no longer available - and simply doesn't work with certain combinations of
    hardware and Windows 8 or 10. Officially, it's unsupported in Windows after XP. So what's an alternative?

There are a few commercial train sims that don't use MSTS content and are not compatible with MSTS routes.There's also a open source simulator that runs well in current Windows, and can run most MSTS-based content and routes though moving in different directions
    regarding realism and presentation (new content is beginning to appear for it that is too complex to work in MSTS). In order to use older routes originally designed for MSTS, though, access to the underlying MSTS route and train object libraries is still needed;
    that's a severe limitation for people who only recently have become interested in train sims and can't (legally) get a copy of MSTS. Only commercial and a few recently-released free add-ons avoid MSTS object entanglements, and most of the older free content
    will never be updated.

What's needed (set up a petition? to whom?) to get MS to re-issue MSTS, or at least its underlying scenery and train object libraries, so new users who can't get a legitimate copy of MSTS can run the older add-ons that need them? After more than a decade
    without upgrades or patches, and having removed any support of it from the company website, MS appears to have abandoned this avenue of gaming for itself.

MikeBrady29, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

MSTS [Microsoft Train Simulator]

1. MSTS [Microsoft Train Simulator] - Similar Threads - MSTS Microsoft Train

2. MSTS- Microsoft Train Simulator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSTS- Microsoft Train Simulator: Nvidia Geforce 940MX videókártyávan miért fut el az msts és a ADM videókártyákkal nem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msts-microsoft-train-simulator/a46b2567-bfca-47ee-bbfd-396c8d795d7f
  3. MSTS- Microsoft Train Simulator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSTS- Microsoft Train Simulator: Nvidia Geforce 940MX videókártyávan miért fut el az msts és a ADM videókártyákkal nem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msts-microsoft-train-simulator/a46b2567-bfca-47ee-bbfd-396c8d795d7f
  4. MSTS- Microsoft Train Simulator

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Flight Simulator training

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flight Simulator training: Just installed FS. General Aviation Training button is grayed out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flight-simulator-training/5b12240b-3372-4d95-900b-5a4ee6751bc2
  6. Microsoft Train Simulator 2001

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Train Simulator 2001: Hello, I have problem with this game wich I played many yeras ago on the same PC. When I try to start Microsoft Train Simulator launcher.exe/train.exe only become black screen & after few seconds it will crash with issue "Did this program worked correctly?" I have tried a...
  7. MS Train Simulator "needs to run as administrator"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Train Simulator "needs to run as administrator": Loaded msts but need to run as administator i tried all the things i seen but failed its gor a boy with autism plz help * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: Msts need help...
  8. is it possible to install microsoft train simulator on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it possible to install microsoft train simulator on windows 10?: i have the discs of MSTS but i cant install them the routes wont install https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-install-microsoft-train/9b06eb4b-1711-415d-a991-1322178d7ef4
  9. Train Simulator Content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Train Simulator Content: Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS) has been off the market for nearly a decade (since the Activision release disappeared) and closing in on two since MS itself stopped selling it, but it's still the basis for an active enthusiast community. It was the first and still, as a...
  10. Microsoft Train Simulator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Train Simulator: My husband loves Microsoft Train Simulator. I have tried everything I can to get it to run on Windows 10. I'm at a loss. Is there anyone out there that in involved with MTS that has got it running? If you try to reinstall will it drop the vast number of files that people who...