Windows 10: MSWin10 does not recognize mechanical KB on KVM switch

Discus and support MSWin10 does not recognize mechanical KB on KVM switch in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a couple of dual-boot systems, connected by KVM USB. When I was using a conventional membrane-keyboard, MSWin10 would work with the keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JELaBarre, Jul 6, 2020.

1. JELaBarre Win User

MSWin10 does not recognize mechanical KB on KVM switch

I have a couple of dual-boot systems, connected by KVM USB. When I was using a conventional membrane-keyboard, MSWin10 would work with the keyboard and mouse under both OSes. But when I switched to a mechanical KB, suddenly W10 can no longer see the keyboard on either system. Under Linux the exact same setup works fine, both systems see and work with the keyboard with no issues at all.

I tried the KB connected directly under MSWin and it works, but this useless when you want to use a KVM. There are no MSWin drivers for the KB, the manufacturer expects MSWin to actually work correctly on it's own. I tried removing all the KB devices in Device Manager in order to see if it needs to re-detect new drivers, but some of them never actually uninstall, instead showing an Uninstall dialogue that just sits there scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling, until I get fed up with it and pull the power.

It can't be a hardware issue, as the KB/KVM work flawlessly under Linux.

:)

JELaBarre, Jul 6, 2020
  2. jim85213 Win User

Good KVM Switch for Gaming

Does anyone have a suggestion for a gaming KVM switch. I have a system I do all my standard computing on and I'm currently building a gaming system. I want to get a KVM switch because I don't have the money or space for a new monitor. Are there any KVM switches that work exceptionally between standard and gaming systems, without losing video quality and performance???

jim85213, Jul 6, 2020
  3. KVM Switch disconnects from a port

I have a nice 4-port Trendnet KVM switch which works fine. Problem arose. I booted computer #2 in port 2 and it worked fine. I put computer #2 to sleep while I worked on computer #1. When I went back to #2 a couple hours later, Computer 2 would not reattach
    to the keyboard and mouse to the KVM switch. Regardless of what I did, I could not get it to recognize the switch.

I put computer #2 on to KVM port #3 and it works just fine.

What Something is wrong with the USB connection with port #2.

Suggestions?

Nantucketbob, Jul 6, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

KVM Switch disconnects from a port

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that your second computer doesn’t respond to the Keyboard and Mouse connected to KVM switch. I’ll help you with this issue.

However, please let us know:

• Does this issue occur if you connect computer 1 to the port 2 of KVM switch?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and check if that makes a difference:

1. Press Windows Logo key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    3. Right click on the USB Root Hub, and select
      Properties.
    4. Now, go to Power Management tab.
    5. Clear the checkbox for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    6. Click on OK.

You can also refer to the FAQ section from the link:
    https://www.trendnet.com/support/TK-407K-v1.3#faq

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

1. MSWin10 does not recognize mechanical KB on KVM switch - Similar Threads - MSWin10 does recognize

2. Issue with a KVM switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with a KVM switch: Hello, This is an odd one. I am currently using a KVM switch. Both computers are running Windows 11. Here is my set up: Monitors are 2 4K monitorsMonitor 1: M28U Monitor 2: Asus Predator something Computer 1: Desktop Graphics Card 3080 TIComputer 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop...
  3. Issue with a KVM switch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with a KVM switch: Hello, This is an odd one. I am currently using a KVM switch. Both computers are running Windows 11. Here is my set up: Monitors are 2 4K monitorsMonitor 1: M28U Monitor 2: Asus Predator something Computer 1: Desktop Graphics Card 3080 TIComputer 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop...
  4. KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor: I have a kvm for my work laptop and home desktop. When I switch to home desktop pc2, the monitors work fine. When I switch to the work laptop pc1, one of the monitors occasionally doesn’t register it’s always the same monitor that does not register. Typically, unplugging...
  5. KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor

KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor: I have a kvm for my work laptop and home desktop. When I switch to home desktop pc2, the monitors work fine. When I switch to the work laptop pc1, one of the monitors occasionally doesn’t register it’s always the same monitor that does not register. Typically, unplugging...
  6. KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Duel Monitor KVM Switch - Keyboard not being recognized on one of the computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel Monitor KVM Switch - Keyboard not being recognized on one of the computers: I have a dual monitor KVM switch PWAY HDMI 2.0 KVM Switch 2 port that I use to switch between work and my personal computer; both are running Windows 10. I upgraded my keyboard recently from a razor gaming keyboard to the new Steelseries APEX PRO keyboard which utilizes a 3.0...
  8. Duel Monitor KVM Switch - Keyboard not being recognized on one of the computers

Duel Monitor KVM Switch - Keyboard not being recognized on one of the computers: I have a dual monitor KVM switch PWAY HDMI 2.0 KVM Switch 2 port that I use to switch between work and my personal computer; both are running Windows 10. I upgraded my keyboard recently from a razor gaming keyboard to the new Steelseries APEX PRO keyboard which utilizes a 3.0...
  9. Duel Monitor KVM Switch - Keyboard not being recognized on one of the computers

10. KVM Switch disconnects from a port

KVM Switch disconnects from a port: I have a nice 4-port Trendnet KVM switch which works fine. Problem arose. I booted computer #2 in port 2 and it worked fine. I put computer #2 to sleep while I worked on computer #1. When I went back to #2 a couple hours later, Computer 2 would not reattach to the keyboard...