Windows 10: Multi-Monitor dragging windows between screens resizes window

Discus and support Multi-Monitor dragging windows between screens resizes window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently retired a laptop that had it's own screen as 1920x1080 and had a second monitor plugged in that was set to 1920x1080 and when I dragged any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by d4005, Jun 7, 2019.

1. d4005 Win User

Multi-Monitor dragging windows between screens resizes window

I recently retired a laptop that had it's own screen as 1920x1080 and had a second monitor plugged in that was set to 1920x1080 and when I dragged any application's window between screens, I would see no change in size of the window being dragged. I could move back and forth and the size would never change.

However, my new laptop (an Acer Aspire 5) which also has it's native screen 1920x1080 and has that very same monitor now plugged into it and set to 1920x1080, now when I drag any window across from one screen to the other, the window resizes. I see it change exactly as it passes the threshold of the window being 50% on one screen and 50% on the other. I can wobble it back and forth (left/right) at this threshold point and see it being resized up/down in height by a roughly 100-150 pixels. It's not the most annoying problem to have, but annoying enough.

When I right-click on my desktop and choose display, I see that both screens are set to 1920x1080 and I have them in a 2:1 layout and have the external monitor (display 2) as the main screen and have my start menu/toolbars on there (with vertical layout on the right side of the screen). I don't know if this is relevant ... as I drag the window, it goes behind the start menu/toolbars as it crosses monitors.

Setup:
    Acer Aspire 5 15" 1920x1080p i7-8565U 16GB, External monitor 27" LG 1920x1080. Windows 10 Home.

:)

d4005, Jun 7, 2019

2. Repositioning app window on dual monitor, Windows 10

Hi Dreed,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check.

1. Launch Skype.
    2. Drag the Skype Window to secondary monitor.
    3. Resize the window as per your preference.
    4. Maximize the Window and Restore Down.
    5. Then close the skype window in secondary monitor.
    6. Then try re-launching and check if the issue resolves.

Regards.

Manjunath_H, Jun 7, 2019
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    How can I drag a screen display onto an adjoining satellite monitor?

Hi Stewart,

In order for us to assist you dragging a screen to your satellite monitor, you can follow these steps:

• Move the cursor off each of the four screen edges to see if one of them works.
    • If it does, position the monitors in the Display > Screen Resolution window
      to match the physical placement of the monitors.
    In the event that the previous steps failed to work, you can try these:

• In the display settings just swap the
      Display1 and Display2 Monitors.
    • Drag the Monitor1 display icon and
      drop it on Monitor2 display icon, this would give you the correct alignment of screens.

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Jun 7, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Windows 10 KB3213986 Update Cripples Multi-monitor Gaming

The recent Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3213986) cripples multi-monitor gaming, looking at the way Microsoft worded its "known issues" text. After the update is applied, users with multi-monitor setups could experience screen stuttering or clipped screens when running 3D apps on machines with more than one monitor. The only workaround Microsoft suggests for now entails running your 3D apps in non-fullscreen modes, such as windowed-maximized (pseudo-fullscreen) or windowed modes. Microsoft also goes as far as to suggest that people with multi-monitors could try starting their 3D apps with just one monitor connected.

"Users may experience delayed or clipped screens while running 3D rendering apps (such as games) on systems with more than one monitor," the change-log for the KB3213986 update reads. "To work around this issue please consider the following options: 1. Running the application in Windows mode (not full screen), or 2. Starting the application with only one monitor connected," it adds. The update effectively cripples multi-monitor gaming, using technologies such as AMD Eyefinity or NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround.

Multi-Monitor dragging windows between screens resizes window 5781d75ceca3_thm.jpg

Source: Microsoft

btarunr, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Multi-Monitor dragging windows between screens resizes window - Similar Threads - Multi Monitor dragging

2. Dragging windows between dual monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dragging windows between dual monitors: PLEASE NOTE that this problem only began a few weeks ago and NO HARDWARE or SOFTWARE CHANGES were made to the system.Until recently, when I have a window maximized, I could grab it by the title bar and drag it across to the other display. When I did it, the application window...
  3. Multi monitors windows dragging problem since update

Multi monitors windows dragging problem since update: Hello, Since recently when I try to drag a window from a monitor to another I have 3 of them I get big colored numbers and frames appearing on the screens weirdly enough the numbers appear only on 2 of my screens and the number appearing is the same on both number 1....
  4. Issue with moving mouse between monitors in a multi-monitor setup

Issue with moving mouse between monitors in a multi-monitor setup: This might be a bit of an an usual problem, atleast I couldn't find anyone with a similar problem. I have 5 Monitors in a surround setup as one can see in this screenshot of my display organisation: [ATTACH] Moving the cursor or windows between monitors poses no problem...
  5. Monitoring drag & drop between different drives in Windows

Monitoring drag & drop between different drives in Windows: Hey! We develop a service and we need it to monitor drag & drop from one drive to another. We looked into a few options and we didn't find any solution, except scanning the whole drive, which takes too long. Can you help us understand the mechanism behind the drag & drop...
  6. Can't move mouse between multi-monitor setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move mouse between multi-monitor setup: I have a multi-monitor setup like this: https://imgur.com/a/U3rRx2g Everything works well, except to reach monitor 4, I can only move my mouse from monitor 3->5->2->4, but I can't go directly from monitor 3->4. Any ideas? submitted by /u/Future-Professional [link]...
  7. Moving any page between monitors resizing issue!

Moving any page between monitors resizing issue!: This one is baffling me. For example when I move an excel page from my HP laptop monitor 1 to second monitor Dell monitor 2 and the page crosses between monitors. Right at the halfway point where the page is split in half the page resizes. This is causing a not so smooth...
  8. Mouse Getting Stuck Dragging Windows Between Monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse Getting Stuck Dragging Windows Between Monitors: This s!@# is driving me insane How do I stop the mouse from getting stuck at the edge of the screen when dragging windows between monitors without: 1.) Moving the mouse faster 2.) Disabling the snap feature all together Windows 10.0.18363 Pro. I've looked all over...
  9. cannot drag or resize open windows

cannot drag or resize open windows: this happened out of the blue. also cant highlight text. i am not in tablet mode and the mouse clicklock is not checked. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-drag-or-resize-open-windows/f5aff1d1-7f1f-461b-88a6-3d69de56b064
  10. Multi-tasking Snap not resizing windows to fill the screen.

Multi-tasking Snap not resizing windows to fill the screen.: Hi, this is a problem that I have been having for months now, and I have tried various different fixes and nothing has helped. I am using Windows 10 on a single display (laptop). When I use the snap feature to have multiple windows split on screen, they do not fully resize...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rds resizes when dragged to another display