Windows 10: Multi User E-mail Client

Discus and support Multi User E-mail Client in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Is there an e-mail client software package that can support two concurrent users? The situation is two users on a small network sharing a local... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by lrbjmb, Mar 4, 2021.

1. lrbjmb Win User

Multi User E-mail Client

Is there an e-mail client software package that can support two concurrent users?

The situation is two users on a small network sharing a local e-mail filestore. Several e-mail addresses feed into the shared filestore and are then transferred from the Inbox to named folders, as appropriate, by either user. Long ago, Netscape Messenger did this by taking out a lock (Permission) when a folder was opened, to avoid it being updated by the other user at the same time.

Is there a modern client that has a similar 'locking' facility?

(Using Windows 10)

:)

lrbjmb, Mar 4, 2021
  2. nkienitz Win User

Default e-mail client not chosen ?

On the problem laptop ... I get same results with a 2nd profile with admin privileges.

My other two laptops all have a single admin user. Ergo all settings/privileges the same.

I don't do any syncing with any other devices. All of my laptops run as a stand-a-lone local user situation.

I took the step this morning to do a repair/replace routine from my Windows 10 USB with the hopes that any files that might be messed up would be replaced, corrected, etc.. The process went very smooth. BTW - I had Thunderbird set as the default e-mail client during the refresh of Windows.

Once completed I did my tests and individuals files (documents and JPGs) all routed to be processed via Thunderbird. Cautiously optimistic so I opened my report app to go through the report generation, ftp upload and then e-mail request and it chose Outlook as the e-mail client.

So ... still stuck in neutral.

As noted ... this same app does properly choose Thunderbird (when selected as the default e-mail client) when e-mailing the report.

I must have a cantankerous laptop here ... UGH!

For now ... I'll put Thunderbird on the back burner until I have or see another possible solution to try.

Murphy is alive and well for me with this hiccup.

nkienitz, Mar 4, 2021
  3. E-Mail Client for E5

Hi All,

I've downloaded the e-mail Client 3.21 hoping it would solve this issue but it has not.

The issue is with displaying e-mails when opening [Mail for Exchange] as follows:

[Mail for Exchange] has always been set to [Never] delete any mail Item and I've, on my device, in both [Inbox] and [Sent Items] e-mails dating back to January 5th 2011 but when I open [Mail for Exchange] I can only see e-mails dating back to October 12th

I know that all e-mails are there because if I sort again by Date the e-mail list in both folders, [Inbox] and [Sent Items], starts from January 5th 2011.

Does anyone know how to list all the e-mails in [Mail for Exchange] no matter how old they are.

Very Best Regards

Neofita---01, Mar 4, 2021
  4. nkienitz Win User

Multi User E-mail Client

Default e-mail client not chosen ?

A lot of digging and testing has been done to try and find something to resolve the weird default e-mail client issues in Windows 10 v1803. Below is a list of findings and a huge Thank You to the developer of the report generation software I've been using for many years. We're all just shaking our heads at this in wonder.

I'm sure more will be discovered for this chapter. *Wink

At least, knowing this will allow changes to have things work as the user would like.

Findings ... "So Far":

1. Right-click a file in the file browser > Send To > uses the setting in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\mail > (Default) value
    If not found will use the one in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail > (Default) Value

If that value is empty, it will prompt you to select one, and it write it to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\mail > (Default) value

2. Setting the default app for Mail in the Windows Settings does nothing to either one of those keys. And since it does nothing to those two keys, any apps including the send to context menu item will not use the selection for the default app you set in Windows Settings.

3. MAPI uses those registry keys (and Send To uses MAPI), so basically it ignores what you set as the default app in Windows Settings, so if you want MAPI to use the default, you have to set it manually as far as I know. For example, the list of available MAPI Email clients is only in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
    But you should set both (Default) values to the same value. For example, if you want Mozilla Thunderbird as your default MAPI email client, you have to modify both like so:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\mail > (Default) value = Mozilla Thunderbird
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail > (Default) Value = Mozilla Thunderbird

=================

I'm marking this thread as (at least) one solution (or SOLVED) as it is the only one I've come across so far. I know that adjusting the registry is not everyone's choice, but at least it is an option.

nkienitz, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

Multi User E-mail Client

1. Multi User E-mail Client - Similar Threads - Multi User mail

2. Problem with registry setting default e-mail client

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with registry setting default e-mail client: In Windows 10, I was using Outlook desktop as my default e-mail client. I then changed the default app to "Thunderbird" When I look in the registry Current User Software Clients Mail it still shows "Microsoft Outlook" as the default mail app. This is affecting how our...
  3. Problem with registry setting default e-mail client

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with registry setting default e-mail client: In Windows 10, I was using Outlook desktop as my default e-mail client. I then changed the default app to "Thunderbird" When I look in the registry Current User Software Clients Mail it still shows "Microsoft Outlook" as the default mail app. This is affecting how our...
  4. The best e-mail client for Win 10?

in Browsers and Email
    The best e-mail client for Win 10?: Hello, I would like to know which is the best and safest e-mail client for Win 10? Is it Thunderbird? Please tell me. Thanks in advance. 179175
  5. Recommendations for e-mail client software

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recommendations for e-mail client software: Hello, I am looking for an e-mail client software. I am sick of problems with the built-in windows one that I have been using for 3 years and I want to use a third party reliable one that I don't have to troubleshoot every two months. I have installed and tried eM Client for...
  6. Can not set default E-Mail client to anything other than Mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can not set default E-Mail client to anything other than Mail: I have an e-mail client that I am trying to set as the default and can't seem to get it to change. I am not trying to use an app from the Microsoft store, this is an actual program that I have installed on the computer. I can not make it the default email client within the...
  7. Default e-mail client no more chosen ?

in Browsers and Email
    Default e-mail client no more chosen ?: Appears to be a 'one-off' situation where an APP I've used for many years to send reports (a PDF file) works fine on 2 of my 3 Dell Latitude laptops ... but can't get a proper operation on one laptop. All three laptops have new/fresh/clean installations of Windows 10 Pro...
  8. Default e-mail client not chosen ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default e-mail client not chosen ?: Appears to be a 'one-off' situation where an APP I've used for many years to send reports (a PDF file) works fine on 2 of my 3 Dell Latitude laptops ... but can't get a proper operation on one laptop. All three laptops have new/fresh/clean installations of Windows 10 Pro...
  9. Standard user e-mail safety

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Standard user e-mail safety: I volunteer at our senior citizen organization and we have a Win10 computer available for members and visitors. The other day I had to remove umpteen emails in the Mail app on the start screen by one person. In order to use the computer, they log in using a standard account....
  10. Best Open Source E-mail Client for 2018?

in Browsers and Email
    Best Open Source E-mail Client for 2018?: Hi, it's January 2018 and I just did my annual reformat, and I'm a bit out of touch with the open source apps at the moment. So to get right down to it, what are the new "best" open source email clients? I'm looking for something that looks good, not too cluttered, not too...