Windows 10: Multi user login problems

Discus and support Multi user login problems in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have recently switched from a MacBook to Dell Windows 10 laptop and am having some unexpected problems with multiple user logins. The problem:... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by liquefry, Mar 27, 2017.

1. liquefry Win User

Multi user login problems

I have recently switched from a MacBook to Dell Windows 10 laptop and am having some unexpected problems with multiple user logins.

The problem: when logging back in to the laptop after a reasonable period of inactivity and more than one user is logged in, the trackpad is non-responsive in a weird way. The cursor will not move unless you "click and hold" as if making a selection. When the cursor is in place you can left and right click as normal, but if you need to move it again you need to click and hold once more. Obviously this is annoying! It does not happen during a normal login, or if restarting the system when there is only one user logged in. To solve the problem I need to log all the users out and log back in.

I have noticed another startup issue which may or may not be related - the wifi does not seem scan and connect to a network automatically until you click on the wifi settings icon in the bottom right. Once you click on it the networks appear and connect pretty much immediately. A weird problem but the workaround is not too onerous so I haven't really spent time trying to fix that one. I'm thinking that it's possible that the startup is tripping over on something which is causing both the trackpad and network adaptor to function improperly.

Any ideas on what I should try? I've scanned the computer for viruses/malware, made sure everything is up to date, and done some disabling of services to see if that's what's causing the problem. Nothing has helped so far, and it's a pain to diagnose as it only happens after hibernation with multiple users logged in, so each attempt takes quite a while to set up! Thought I'd ask for help here to guide the diagnosis and hopefully reduce the time it takes to fix the problem.

:)

liquefry, Mar 27, 2017
  2. cym104 Win User

My phones fails to maintain lockdown after system wipe.

How do I disable this capability on my device?

cym104, Mar 27, 2017
  3. Shankyiee Win User
    My phones fails to maintain lockdown after system wipe.

How do I disable this capability on my device?

U can't, because it is an inbuilt feature of Windows phone....

Shankyiee, Mar 27, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. How much ram has the pc got and how many users are logging in?

Samuria, Mar 27, 2017
  5. liquefry Win User
    It's a new Dell XPS13 9360 with 8GB ram. Both memory and CPU usage is very low when this is a problem, like less than 10%. I wasn't thinking this could be a hardware bottleneck...

ps thanks for the welcome!

edit: should also note that this seems to be happening when coming out of deep sleep / hibernation - if the computer is being used you can switch between users with no problem.

liquefry, Mar 27, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Test by disabling hibernation. I had a few issues with hibernation awake and have it disabled entirely.
    Open command prompt (admin) and type - powercfg /hibernate off In Control Panel\Power Options make sure the power button and lid options suit you (hibernation will now be missing). I tap the laptop power button to put device to sleep and it has no issues awakening. If I think I'll return to machine within a few hrs, I even close the lid after power button tap and it's ready to use when I open the lid. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Mar 27, 2017
  7. liquefry Win User
    OK ran this test again to double check performance. The CPU and memory usage is higher than I suggested (around 40% for CPU and 50% memory, seems the biggest user is Microsoft Edge using 30% of memory in a number of processes). Too many tabs? CPU use goes down quickly, guessing this marks the end of the various system processes starting up, but memory stays up around 40-50% and the cursor problems persist.

liquefry, Mar 27, 2017
  8. liquefry Win User

Further test shows that returning from hibernation with only a single user has lower CPU use, memory use still high based on number of Edge tabs open! But a similar memory use (45%) has no noticeable performance impact.

Am thinking that the best way to fix this will be to automatically log other users out rather than hibernating. If I can set this up. Last resort will be to disable hibernation but I don't really want to do this as this will mean a higher energy use when the laptop isn't being used. I think.

liquefry, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Multi user login problems - Similar Threads - Multi user login

2. Windows 10 Built in VPN accept Multi User Login

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Built in VPN accept Multi User Login: Hi,I have successfully created Windows 10 Built In VPN profile, Is the VPN profile support Multi User can login at same time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-built-in-vpn-accept-multi-user-login/f59af2ae-df0a-42c6-b920-d9d4ec3b7d96
  3. Windows 10 Built in VPN accept Multi User Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Built in VPN accept Multi User Login: Hi,I have successfully created Windows 10 Built In VPN profile, Is the VPN profile support Multi User can login at same time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-built-in-vpn-accept-multi-user-login/f59af2ae-df0a-42c6-b920-d9d4ec3b7d96
  4. Windows 10 Built in VPN accept Multi User Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multi User E-mail Client

in Browsers and Email
    Multi User E-mail Client: Is there an e-mail client software package that can support two concurrent users? The situation is two users on a small network sharing a local e-mail filestore. Several e-mail addresses feed into the shared filestore and are then transferred from the Inbox to named...
  6. Multi User Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multi User Product Key: Good Morning, I would like to know if there is a Multi-User Product Key for Windows 10 Pro 32bit - 64bit to be used in the business environment and the cost for such a key? Your assistance will be greatly appreciated....
  7. Multi User Devices.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multi User Devices.: [ATTACH] I see 2 other Devices on chrome "Send to your Devices". Though I have only one device with completly Different ID. How can I view those "ghost" ids or Delete atleast!...
  8. multi-touch problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    multi-touch problem: I upgraded my Windows 8 Acer laptop to Windows 10. Everything is OK but for the multi-touch. It used to work well with Windows 8 but now I can only do single-touch. I contacted to Acer team but they told me they don’t support multi-touch in Windows 10. Reinstalling drivers...
  9. Multi user switching-Black screen waiting problem

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Multi user switching-Black screen waiting problem: After entering the system for the first time, operate quickly: for example, create a local user and a network user, or Microsoft account, and then switch users. Low probability of encountering black screen in the process of switching users. From the current analysis of...
  10. Multi user login on Home edition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multi user login on Home edition: My win 7 pro allows multiple users to be logged in at the same time. Is this available on win 10 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/multi-user-login-on-home-edition/d83a730f-bd42-42e5-969c-9feb1a14f26d