Windows 10: Multiboot system does another bios boot when selecting non-default OS

Discus and support Multiboot system does another bios boot when selecting non-default OS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Multiboot system with Windows 7 on 1st partition and Windows 10 on 2nd partition-same drive. Using the fancy blue Bootmanager Selection screen that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mdmike52, Sep 13, 2015.

1. mdmike52 Win User

Multiboot system does another bios boot when selecting non-default OS

Multiboot system with Windows 7 on 1st partition and Windows 10 on 2nd partition-same drive. Using the fancy blue Bootmanager Selection screen that comes with win10. Win 10 is the default OS. If I select windows 7 from the bootmanager selection screen the system does a complete bios reboot then goes directly into windows 7. Selecting windows 10 does not do this reboot, just starts win 10 as would be expected. Is this normal?? I have had Multiboot with Win 7 and XP and do not remember this happening.
    FYI
    Win7 partition is marked "Active" (first partition on drive) bootmgr file is on this drive I think
    Win10 partition is marked "Inactive" (second partition on drive)
    Tried turning off Fast Boot in Win 10 == No Help

Any ideas?? Its annoying and time consuming to go through another complete bios boot up every time I select my Win 7 OS.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Mike

:)

mdmike52, Sep 13, 2015

2. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

I dual boot XP at home and at work into Windows 10 (work which is a pre-release build) and Windows 8.1 here at home (XP/8.1) I can use the keyboard and the mouse if I choose to select OS. When you have the newer build selected as default, it boots not
    out of BIOS but another system, so BIOS does not matter at that point. Only XP boots using older BIOS settings. In other words, Windows 8.1 and 10 boot using UEFI When you are in the BIOS you might look at the boot scheme to see how it is booting. Here
    is a link to explain the two. What is the difference in "Boot with BIOS" and "Boot with UEFI"

When I boot my computer at work it boots first into the Windows 10 menu and if I don't choose the "earlier operating system" it continues on into Windows 10. If I do choose "Earlier Operating System" then it basically shuts down all the way into the BIOS
    and then the only screen that comes up then is the XP boot loader giving a choice of Windows XP or other OS. The 2 different boots look entirely different.

Vernon Jenewein, Sep 13, 2015
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Is it possible to reinstall Windows 10 and completely reset UEFI options

Setting up multiboot should not have required any changes to the BIOS settings. In a mutiboot environment all the BIOS does is hand boot control to the hard disk exactly the same as with a single O/S, it is the boot code on the hard disk (the Grub Loader
    if the second O/S in Linux) that handles choosing which actual O/S is loaded by default and giving you the choice within a timeout.

The alternative would have been if you had two hard drives and installed each O/S on their own drive with the other disk disconnected. That is strictly speaking not a multiboot system and in that case you would have to tell the BIOS which disk to boot from
    to get a specific O/S.

As your computer successfully boots Windows at the moment the next step is to boot from your chosen distribution media for Linux and tell it to install it to the hard disk leaving the current O/S intact and to install the Grub Loader.

HairyFool, Sep 13, 2015
  4. mdmike52 Win User

Found the problem. It was the fancy new boot manager selection screen that comes with windows 10. The blue one with the different available OSs in big boxes. Going back to the original black and white Boot manager selection screen solved the problem, goes right into Windows 7 now without the extra system boot. To get back to the old B/W menu run Command Prompt Administrator and type:
    "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

To go back to the Blue Fancy Screen type:
    "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard"

mdmike52, Sep 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Multiboot system does another bios boot when selecting non-default OS - Similar Threads - Multiboot system does

2. Multiboot system audio problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiboot system audio problem: Hello everyone,I have used multiboot - Dual boot from Win 7 to 11 for at least 15 years with no issues I Separated work related system and Apps from Games.For Audio I Use an older External Audio Card, M-Audio Firewire 410 Which works great for all my Recording needs Midi,...
  3. Windows boots to non-default timezone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows boots to non-default timezone: Every time I reboot my system, it is using the wrong timezone.I know my default timezone is set correctly, because I can fix the problem in settings simply by turning off "Set Time Automatically" and then immediately turning it back on again. Then the time is displayed...
  4. Windows boots to non-default timezone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows boots to non-default timezone: Every time I reboot my system, it is using the wrong timezone.I know my default timezone is set correctly, because I can fix the problem in settings simply by turning off "Set Time Automatically" and then immediately turning it back on again. Then the time is displayed...
  5. selecting 1st boot in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    selecting 1st boot in bios: Hi guys, I have just successfully cloned my laptop hhd to ssd with Macrium , which advises that to boot from the ssd requires making the nessessary selection in the bios. I have opened the bios which is recognising the ssd and in the boot column I have the new drive as no 1,...
  6. Computer restarts after selecting non default Windows 10 in Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer restarts after selecting non default Windows 10 in Boot Menu: Hi, Let me first describe my configuration. I have 2 Windows 10 running on separate disks. On my first disk with the efi partition I have my default Windows 10 which I use for gaming, browsing, regular PC stuff. On my second disk I I have my extra Windows 10 (same version...
  7. Dual boot encryption at OS selection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual boot encryption at OS selection: I have two ssd's both with Windows 10. I have it set to boot to OS selection. I want to encrypt both ssd's separately so that when I choose one OS or the other that is when I have to enter the password. So far I have use bitlocker to encrypt one drive but it requires me to...
  8. OS Boot Selection Screen

OS Boot Selection Screen: Hi there reader/expert, More a question than an actual problem. I have a dual boot system with both 8.1x64 and 10x64 on my 240GB SSD and I always used to have a nice boot selection screen in blue, like on the right side of the picture (something I grabbed from the inet)....
  9. SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios.

SSD migrated system not booting unless selected in bios.: My wife purchased a Dell 8700 XPS with i7 4790 processor,16GB ram. and Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 4GB and a 2 terabyte hard drive. She also purchased a Kingston HyperX 120 GB SSD. I used a popular software to migrated Windows 8.1 Home to the SSD from the HDD. This seemed to work...
  10. Multiboot OS

Multiboot OS: Hi, I have a 16GB flash drive and I want to make it bootable for multiple OS like Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I tried various tools available on internet. None of them worked successfully. Please guide me. Regards Sanjay 48484