Windows 10: Multiple browsers showing in task manager but only ONE live

Discus and support Multiple browsers showing in task manager but only ONE live in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I don't post here often but I hope somebody can help with the above problem. I have found, over the past few months, that if I leave a browser open,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alfieb, Mar 20, 2021.

1. alfieb Win User

Multiple browsers showing in task manager but only ONE live

I don't post here often but I hope somebody can help with the above problem.

I have found, over the past few months, that if I leave a browser open, leave my PC and return, I usually have a frozen screen that only comes back to life if I close it down and re-load it. This option is so hit and miss I feel like giving up.

I have also taken to using task manager as a way of closing down the browser. However, when I go into task manager I notice that there are multiple events of the web browser open, even though I have only opened one live browser. my current browser of choice is Brave.

Thinking that this browser may have had an issue I opened Chrome, only for the same problem to arise. I've inserted an image showing the instances. Multiple browsers showing in task manager but only ONE live 514c2171-027b-4130-824c-e73638bd2047?upload=true.jpg Does anybody have a suggestion that might solve my problem?

Many Thanks

:)

alfieb, Mar 20, 2021

2. Multiple Instances of Microsoft Edge Update (32 bit) In Task Manager

Thanks! Just checked and only found the one listed as running. I've included a screenshot.

Multiple browsers showing in task manager but only ONE live [​IMG]

TedWheelan, Mar 20, 2021
  3. Multiple browser instances showing in Task Manager is pulling down Internet speed

Here are the answers to your questions and then I'll tell you what all I have done:

1. Yes, I.E. does this also... it happens with all of the 4 browsers I have.

2. I have Trend Micro Maximum Security and all definitions are up to date.

3. I have restarted multiple times.

4. My ISP sent over a tech twice and we are getting the correct speeds (200 down / 10 up) when testing on a mobile device

5. My main HP laptop (the one in question here) is a few years old, so I installed an additional NIC to detect and utilize my 5GHZ wireless signal from my router... but it didn't stop the multiple instances of the browsers showing in Task Manager and the
    speeds are up and down a lot... but never anywhere near the 200mps / 10mps it is supposed to be.

6. I have another HP Laptop that is only about 2 years old with Windows 8 and it too has slowed down and is displaying the same thing in Task Manager... showing Chrome 20 instances when only one window is open.

7. I have a 3rd HP Laptop about 2 years old with Windows 10 on it and it is not showing multiple browser instances in Task Manager, but is only registering about 60mps down and 10mps up... but it is connected via an extender and I'm not sure if it is seeing
    the 5 GHZ signal from router

8. I have a HP Google Chrome book that is seeing the 5 GHZ network from my router and it is showing 146 mps down and 10.5 mps up, and is close to what it is supposed to be seeing for Internet speed... but since it is the Chrome op/sys, I don't know if ti
    has a Task Manager... but I won't complain about these speeds.

RPMROADRACER, Mar 20, 2021
  4. Multiple browsers showing in task manager but only ONE live

Task Manager

Hi Marjorie,

Task Manager can be used to view and manage your processes, performance statistics, app history, users, processes details, and services in Windows 10.
    To access the Task Manager directly in Windows 10, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. This is the Task Manager shortcut in Windows 10.

Furthermore, to change your default browser, we suggest that you follow the steps from this article:

Change your default browser in Windows 10

Feel free to post back should you have further concerns.

Melowin Mar, Mar 20, 2021
Thema:

Multiple browsers showing in task manager but only ONE live

1. Multiple browsers showing in task manager but only ONE live - Similar Threads - Multiple browsers showing

2. Task Manager shows only 2 cores

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager shows only 2 cores: Hello!I saw that in Task Manager it shows me that my CPU has got only 2 cores but it's quad core. I am just curious to see why this is happening. I don't have any problems for now. My CPU is an AMD FX 4100....
  3. Task Manager shows only 2 cores

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager shows only 2 cores: Hello!I saw that in Task Manager it shows me that my CPU has got only 2 cores but it's quad core. I am just curious to see why this is happening. I don't have any problems for now. My CPU is an AMD FX 4100....
  4. Task Manager shows only 2 cores

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Process Multiplication on Task Manager

Process Multiplication on Task Manager: Hi! i have this problem.I am a designer and illustrator so it is quite normal that my computer is slow. But today and yesterday my computer was running much slower than normal.When I go to the task manager I see that many programs are duplicated and even quadrupled.My...
  6. Task bar shows multiple windows of one app running

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task bar shows multiple windows of one app running: Hello Today I noticed that taskbar shows this grey line left side of screenshot. It happens on every open app. I only have one Task Manager open. Do anyone know how to get rid of it? [ATTACH]...
  7. Can only on task manager?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can only on task manager?: I have a lenovo ideapad 320 and the following problem: My laptop starts normally, after that nothing can be clicked only by a combination of keys to open the Task Manager. In this time bios was updated, i could also access device manager (through task manager), that means i...
  8. Task manager only shows half of cores and threads

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task manager only shows half of cores and threads: In my PC, i have an i7 2600k, a 4 core 8 thread processor. I have all cores and hyper threading enabled, but task manager says I have 2 cores and 4 logic's processors, or 4 threads. I have already tried changing msconfig boot settings. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED....
  9. Multiple instances of any browser I open showing in task manager

Multiple instances of any browser I open showing in task manager: When I open any browser, multiple instances of that browser display in task manager. Whether it is Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Firefox I open the browser (one tab is open) and task manager shows the browser at least nine times, while browsing the number increases to as...
  10. Appearance of multiple tabs on task manager when only one is open

Appearance of multiple tabs on task manager when only one is open: As stated above, ever since my last windows update, task manager indicates that multiple browsers are open when in actual fact only one is open. Also web browsing seems laggy, akin to when too many tabs have been left open. Also, a large amount of my disk capacity seems to be...