Windows 10: Multiple BSOD errors started recently

Discus and support Multiple BSOD errors started recently in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Nvidia GTX 570 ASUS P8Z77-V-LK Intel i7-3770k 3.50 GHz PSU: OCZ 700W Poking around the internet makes it seem like this is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sabin76, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Sabin76 Win User

Multiple BSOD errors started recently

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Nvidia GTX 570
    ASUS P8Z77-V-LK
    Intel i7-3770k 3.50 GHz
    PSU: OCZ 700W

Poking around the internet makes it seem like this is a rather common occurrence. Starting Monday (I think) I started getting artifacts all over my screen then my computer would crash and restart (sometimes the artifacts would persist during the boot screens, which would force multiple restarts before I could even log into Windows). I was not in any situation with heavy loads on either the CPU or GPU. This happened multiple times. Eventually, it started giving me a BSOD and one of these three codes: "DCP WATCHDOG VIOLATION", "TRD VIDEO FAILURE", or "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL". Of all the dumps I got, the consensus from WhoCrashed is that it's the Nvidia kernel driver nvlddmkm.sys (in some cases it was dxgmms2.sys). My drivers were up to date at that point.

Two days ago I was told by the Nvidia chat "support" to use Revouninstaller and roll back my drivers to those from December, which I did. It took a lot longer, and it didn't actually crash, but I got artifacts again, the screen froze then flickered and came back, and then an error message came up saying that my Nvidia kernel driver had stopped working and recovered. At that point, I turned off for the night and went to bed. Yesterday I was able to use my computer for several hours without any problems, but just as I was about to turn in, it artifacted and crashed with a BSOD and one of those three codes above (can't remember which).

One post about a similar error piqued my interest as it mentioned an infection, so I ran a full scan using Windows Defender. It got about halfway done, then stopped. I couldn't start it again (gave error 0x8007139f). After a restart it would scan, but I'm convinced it didn't finish again (I was working on my laptop while it was scanning so I wasn't paying complete attention, but what took 30 minutes to get halfway before, "finished" in less than 10 minutes). I'm not convinced it's an infection yet, but I guess it's another things to check for if it turns out WinDef isn't cutting it.

Attachment 67724

:)

Sabin76, Mar 4, 2016

2. Multiple BSOD recently

Kimberley

Please select the keyboard shortcut Win+X, and click Command Prompt (Admin)
    on the drop down menu. Type cd\ and press the ENTER key.
    Type or copy and paste

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

and press the ENTER key. You will find an sfcdetails.txt file on your Desktop.

If you choose to type the command, take care to include the space before each
    / (forward slash) when typing the command.

Please upload a copy of your sfcdetails.txt file to your OneDrive as a shared file and post a link here. Enter
    sfcdetails.txt in the Search box above the Start button and press the
    ENTER key to locate the file created.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in
    the period immediately after the computer has been booted.

Please upload to your One Drive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log filefrom your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R
    , type eventvwr.msc and press
    the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default
    evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do
    not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

Gerry C J Cornell, Mar 4, 2016
  3. Multiple BSOD recently

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your help.

I've uploaded the files you've asked for here:

Log files

My laptop is a Sony VAIO SVE1712Z1EB and I haven't changed anything internally. The only thing is I have a dual-boot with Ubuntu but that wouldn't have anything to do with it - it's been fine for over a year.

Yesterday I ran scannow, checkhealth, scanhealth, restorehealth - which said there was a repairable error, and seemed to fix it. But I ran scannow again today and now it says 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of
    them'. This reported no errors yesterday even when scanhealth did.

Many thanks,

Kimberley

kimberleycgm, Mar 4, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
    Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

• Uninstall Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%
    • Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
      • Double click the executable to open it
      • Click on the button shown below

Multiple BSOD errors started recently [​IMG]

If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window

Please update your BIOS to version 1402
    P8Z77-V LK | Motherboards | ASUS Global

If this doesn't help, I would suggest to clean reinstall the display drivers
    Please uninstall everything of Nvidia using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from Nvidia. Be sure the clean install box is checked and only install the Graphics driver and the PhysX driver.
    Attachment 67923

axe0, Mar 5, 2016
  5. Sabin76 Win User
    OK, Alcohol and Daemon Tools are gone and the SPDT installer showed a greyed-out button. Updated the BIOS as well. To be clear, when I used RveoUninstaller, I removed everything (All software and registry files), then installed an older version of the drivers. In any case, this time I used DDU and did a clean install of the latest drivers (362.00) and PhysX and nothing else.

Will come back if I still get a BSOD or after a week to say it's solved, whichever happens first.

Sabin76, Mar 6, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Could you please check in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ for the sptd2.sys file to ensure it is gone.
    In the past there has been a lot of trouble removing this version of the driver.

axe0, Mar 6, 2016
  7. Sabin76 Win User
    It's not there. I have been getting little blips of artifacts since the clean driver install, but no BSOD yet. Just got some artifacting typing up this message, actually.

Sabin76, Mar 7, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

*Thumbs

The artifacts could be from the drivers, update/reinstall/downgrade could help.

axe0, Mar 7, 2016
  9. Sabin76 Win User
    Just crashed again. Was scrolling down facebook, started artifacting whenever a video started to play. Froze and recovered with the same message as in the OP. Soon after, the system hung and then restarted. Attaching newest dump report.

Sabin76, Mar 8, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    What is your PSU?
    If anything is OC'ed, revert back to stock while troubleshooting.

Regarding your BIOS, I can't tell if it is updated.
    Code: BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 1402, 3/21/2014[/quote] Attachment 68422

11. Sabin76 Win User
    PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V (I'll add that to OP as well)

Nothing is overclocked at the moment. I had some stability issues a (long) while back and put everything back to normal speed and when the system got stable again I never bothered to overclock again.

And yes, the 1402 drivers are the latest. I left off the "LK" part in my OP, but you correctly identified the right drivers in your original reply. I've gone back to put it in now that I realize there's a difference. (I tried the 2401 drivers anyway and they failed a "security check" when I tried to install them).

Sabin76, Mar 9, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Please upload a new zip if you're still getting BSOD's.

13. Sabin76 Win User

New log.Attachment 69686

Sabin76, Mar 15, 2016
  14. axe0 New Member
    Try a newer version of Nvidia, use DDU to uninstall the installed one.
    If a newer version doesn't help, try an older one, or the same you're currently have installed and let me know how it goes.

15. Sabin76 Win User
    Used DDU to remove and clean installed latest drivers (3/8: v364.51). Will update in a few days if no problems.

Remember that I already tried an earlier version (the one from December) and had the same issue.

Sabin76, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Multiple BSOD errors started recently - Similar Threads - Multiple BSOD errors

2. Multiple BSoD and Multiple Errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSoD and Multiple Errors: I get multiple around 15-20 in a single day BSoD with different kind of errors. And when I check the event viewer after the restart I get this type of error each time. I don't know what it is. A previous post I made about this error, people said something is wrong with my...
  3. Multiple BSoD and Multiple Errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple BSoD and Multiple Errors: I get multiple around 15-20 in a single day BSoD with different kind of errors. And when I check the event viewer after the restart I get this type of error each time. I don't know what it is. A previous post I made about this error, people said something is wrong with my...
  4. Multiple BSoD and Multiple Errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Repeated BSODs Starting recently

Repeated BSODs Starting recently: I'm running a constructed tower, and I've recently begun experiencing frequent BSOD errors while gaming. Currently on Windows 10. Errors I've seen so far: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALKERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURESo far I've: 1. Checked for Windows updates -...
  6. Repeated BSODs Starting recently

Repeated BSODs Starting recently: I'm running a constructed tower, and I've recently begun experiencing frequent BSOD errors while gaming. Currently on Windows 10. Errors I've seen so far: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALKERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURESo far I've: 1. Checked for Windows updates -...
  7. Multiple BSODs recently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSODs recently: Over the last 5 days I have had at least one BSOD a day. I have tried multiple fixes including clean installing my graphics driver, updating possible bad drivers, and clean installing Avast. I was hoping to see if anyone could help me analyze some minidump files to see if...
  8. Multiple BSODs recently

Multiple BSODs recently: Over the last 5 days I have had at least one BSOD a day. I have tried multiple fixes including clean installing my graphics driver, updating possible bad drivers, and clean installing Avast. I was hoping to see if anyone could help me analyze some minidump files to see if...
  9. Multiple BSODs recently

10. Multiple BSOD errors, computer won’t start

Multiple BSOD errors, computer won’t start: So far i’ve experience these 3 errors: -critical process died -0xc000021a -PROCESS1 INITIALIZATON FAILED I was able to use my computer somewhat as it would startup but it was acting very strange. For instance chrome was crashing and there were green lines on my screen...