Windows 10: Multiple BSOD on home brew PC - Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap most often

Discus and support Multiple BSOD on home brew PC - Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap most often in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, hope you can help me. I'm trying to get my recently assembled PC working. I've had many BSOD errors including Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RobN17, Dec 31, 2017.

1. RobN17 Win User

Multiple BSOD on home brew PC - Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap most often

Hi all,
    hope you can help me. I'm trying to get my recently assembled PC working. I've had many BSOD errors including Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap, DPC_Watchdog_Violation being the main ones with Driver_Power_State_Failure and BSOD Driver_Verifier_Detected_Violation occuring sometimes.

I set up my PC initially with a 512GB SSD M.2 but recently cloned back to a WD 500GB HDD just in case the SSD was the problem.

I'm no longer using the Radeon graphics built into the ASUS B350+ as this seemed to have some issues with the driver.

The only identified failures are Mi2c.sys ( that's when I decided to revert to the WD HDD) and recently with the Unexpected Kernel etc. Storport.sys.

I've now reached and actually exceeded my level of expertise and need your help to get my system humming as it should.
    Any help would be most appreciated.
    Rob

:)

RobN17, Dec 31, 2017

2. BSOD - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Also, the most recent BSOD displayed a new error message: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

CWilliamson31, Dec 31, 2017
  3. Signing into Windows 10

My problem is, I have to sign into Windows 10 multiple times a day. Is there a setting that will allow me to keep my computer open for most of the daytime? My PC is a home computer and I don't understand why I have to keep signing in so often.

JeanRasmussen, Dec 31, 2017
  4. RobN17 Win User

Wow!! Thanks for such a quick response zbook. It looks like I've got my work cut out to follow through what you suggest, but I'm on it. It's great to even just have some direction in which to head. Will add the info as it is available. Thanks again.

RobN17, Dec 31, 2017
  5. RobN17 Win User
    Just an update..
    I have no Overclocking and have loaded Optimised Defaults.
    Defender is on
    Malwarebytes etc. not installed
    Have Uninstalled Back Upper and EaseUS Total Backup. Will do a search to make sure drivers you mentioned are not still there.
    Most times I have to work in safe mode.
    Have downloaded and run Systeminfo.exe and yes, it does give a lot more info but can't find where/how to load it.
    Will now run sfc /scannow and dism /online etc.
    will then run memtest 86+ overnight.
    cheers

RobN17, Dec 31, 2017
  6. RobN17 Win User
    Windows PowerShellCopyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.PS C:\Users\rjn17> sfc /scannowBeginning system scan. This process will take some time.Beginning verification phase of system scan.Verification 100% complete.Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.PS C:\Users\rjn17> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealthDeployment Image Servicing and Management toolVersion: 10.0.16299.15Image Version: 10.0.16299.125[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully.PS C:\Users\rjn17>

RobN17, Dec 31, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    The scannow and restore health were fine.

For Prime95 aim for > 3hrs testing > abort as needed for problems with freezing, temperature, etc. (see link)
    For FurMark aim for > 1 hr testing > abort as needed for problems with freezing, temperature, display artifacts, etc. (see link)

For the above 2 tests please
    a) record maximum temperatures
    b) record test durations
    c) post images into the thread

For Memtest86+ please run for as many passes as possible as the more the passes the better the testing.
    When it has completed please use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image into the thread.

Turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

These test may take hours and can be run overnight:
    chkdsk /x /f /r
    HD Tune full error scan
    Memtest86+ version 5.01

zbook, Dec 31, 2017
  8. RobN17 Win User

I can't see where to load the additional System Information.

On the bottom left of my post is "My Computer" but I can see nowhere to add to it.

I have a 800w PSU (pic below), a Logitech G213 USB Keyboard and Gecko Optical Gaming Mouse (USB).
    All external USB HDDs were removed early on but BSODs have occurred since.

I have completed 3 passes of Memtest86+ with no errors(pic below). Decided to stop to do FurMark and Prime95.
    Fast Start up was not active

I now run FurMark for just over an hour with no issues. Temp ranged from 33c to 78C with average around 71c/72c
    I've included some pics of all action. Had another couple of BSODs related to unexpected_kernel etc. Should I send this info as well?

Sorry about the quality of some files.. I have to rely on my smartphone sometimes.

RobN17, Jan 1, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    For all of the tests the quality of the tests are important.
    So for Memtest 86+ version 5.01 it needs to be run for at least 8 passes to be a usable test.
    It sometimes takes passes into the 20s to find malfunctioning RAM.
    Please test for 8 or more passes and the more the passes the better the test.

The most important test is the Memtest86+ version 5.01 as there were so many different bugchecks.
    Many of the bugchecks implicated memory and the memory needs to be ruled in or ruled out with a test of 8 or more passes.

For any BSOD please post a new zip into the thread:
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

zbook, Jan 1, 2018
  10. RobN17 Win User
    Firstly, thanks zbook,
    I really appreciate your input and with your input my PC has become more stable. It's not perfect but I feel it's getting there. I am still going through all your suggestions and I am currently running in a partial clean boot environment, which seems to help with stability.

I'm trying to follow your suggestions but sometimes with my lack of experience, I'm not sure if I've do so correctly.

I have found that there is a new BIOS update

BIOS

Version 34012017/12/087.55 MBytesPRIME B350-PLUS BIOS 3401
    Update to AGESA 1071 for new upcoming processors
    2018/01/03 Downloaded I will install this unless you suggest I don't.
    I didn't have CCleaner installed but have now installed it. I've used it to 'Analyse' only and have included a snapshot. I'm not sure what you expected with System Advanced. Maybe because I hadn't installed earlier, it's not showing stuff you would expect.

I did Analyse the Register and found some interesting entries there, but haven't auctioned them until I hear from. The screen prints are attached below.

I've also started to look at HD Tune and did a quick test and it identified some CRC errors on C: Drive and suggested maybe the cable was a problem. I will run HD Tune overnight and send the results.

By the way Happy New Year *Party

RobN17, Jan 2, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    If you had not used Ccleaner you can uninstall it.
    If you like it you can continue to use it.
    Unknowingly many OP may check boxes that clean files that are needed for troubleshooting.
    Please uncheck: memory dumps and Windows log files.
    Only use the Windows and applications tabs.
    Don't clean the registry. For long periods of time you may be able to clean the registry then all of a sudden there are major problems needing clean install or backup image.
    So don't clean the registry unless there is a significant problem that needs to be fixed and in those case make sure that you have made an updated backup image.

Bugcheck 7F on Mon Jan 1 06:17:15.986 2018 debugging displayed misbehaving driver ambakdrv.sys Aomei BackUpper driver. This driver should have already been troubleshooted. This is a recurrent driver BSOD. Can you uninstall this driver?

Bugcheck 133 on Tue Jan 2 03:57:50.530 2018 debugging displayed misbehaving driver athw10x.sys Driver for Qualcomm Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter
    Updating a driver: Updating a driver. - Microsoft Community

What is your progress with:
    a) backing up files
    b) making a backup image with Macrium
    c) creating a brand new restore point?

athw10x.sys Driver for Qualcomm Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter Official site: Drivers | Qualcomm
    Unofficial site: https://www.ath-drivers.eu
    ambakdrv.sys Aomei BackUpper driver Free Download AOMEI Software| Download AOMEI Backupper and Partition Assistant
    Code: athr Qualcomm Atheros Exten Qualcomm Atheros Exten Kernel Manual Running OK TRUE FALSE 0 3,608,576 0 2/08/2017 2:29:50 PM C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\athw10x.sys 8,192[/quote] Code: athw10x athw10x.sys Tue Aug 01 23:29:50 2017 (5981553E)[/quote]
    Happy New Year.

zbook, Jan 2, 2018
  12. RobN17 Win User
    b) I have created backup image with Macrium and have also set up a schedule for future backups.

a) I have been using File History and I have "Storage Spaces" using currently 2 new WDC 2TB HDDs. These are where my libraries are located (i.e. in E: not C: )

c) I'm not sure whether I correctly understand about "creating a brand new restore point". I have been making restore points quite frequently e.g. deleting apps etc. Is this the same?

I did a search for ambackdrv.sys and found a couple of older copies and these have been deleted.

My PC is definitely becoming more stable with your assistance, again I thank you. I also noticed in one of the HDD tests that my HDD C: had quite a number of CRC errors and suggested it may be a cable fault. I changed the cable and used a different socket.. but have now reverted to the SSD after checking it's health etc.

I have only had 2 BSOD in over 24 hrs. both were the unexpected kernel etc. and both appeared to occur when the system was on the login screen.

I have also noticed that Sytem Interrupts are close if not 100% of CPU when my PC initially sets up after login (see pic) then drops pretty quickly to ~2-5% . Before you started helping me, this would stay around ~35% -60% .

I have now updated my BIOS to the latest version and Windows advises the Qualcomm Driver is the most suitable.

The link for Drivers etc for the ASUS PRIME B350-PRIME Motherboard is:PRIME B350-PLUS Driver & Tools| Motherboards | ASUS Australia

Finally I like how quickly you are able to see the culprit causing a BSOD. Is this some app I can get?

I've included additional stuff below and I'm thinking that in the spirit of the Forum and depending on your advice on the latest info, I should treat this thread as Resolved as I don't appear to be having multple BSODs anymore. However, I wait for your input.

RobN17, Jan 4, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

The latest BSOD implicated memory.

For every test there are:
    True positives..........................................................The test results indicate it found a problem and there really was a problem.
    True negatives........................................................The test results indicate it found no problems and there really were no problems.
    False positives........................................................The test results indicate it found a problem and there really were no problems.
    False negatives......................................................The test results indicates it found no problems and there really were problems.
    Accuracy..................................................................A mathematical result based on the above results.

For Memtest 86+ version 5.01 test results that display pass when there were fewer than 8 passes have a significant number of false negatives.
    It sometimes takes passes in the 20's to find malfunctioning RAM.

The test that was done was only done for 3 passes so the testing duration is in the area where there are a significant number of false negatives.

The test should be repeated so that there are 8 or more passes to allow sufficient time to find RAM / DIMM/ MB problems.

Whenever using Windows driver verifier it is important to create a brand new restore point and not rely on any automatic restore points. Sometimes when using Windows driver verifier the typical methods to turn off the tool fail. In these cases a system restore is necessary and having manually created a new one provides a margin of safety.

The WHEA 0 x 124 bugcheck often indicates a hardware problem. Sometimes misbehaving software and hardware drivers can present with a
    WHEA 0 x 124 bugcheck. So as a routine all of the hardware needs to be evaluated or checked: CPU, GPU, RAM, Drive, PSU.

The latest windows driver verifier produced BSOD debugging did not display a definitive driver.

The debugging tool that we use is windbg. It has a steep learning curve. It is a free Microsoft tool.

There are software that can provide lower level debugging. You can download and install these now and follow the progress in the thread:

Bluescreenview: Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.
    Whocrashed: Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

That's great that the system is becoming more stable. I'm sorry that it was not a quick fix. Sometimes the testing is a lot more rigorous. Progress is being made.

While using Windows driver verifier the drivers are being stressed and there may be computer sluggishness. When you launched the menu there were instructions on the drivers to select as well as the tests to perform. The more tests that are selected the more sluggish the computer may become. The two links that were posted for windows driver verifier had different numbers of tests to perform during its use.

Once the computer is stable (36 hours of no BSOD after the last BSOD) the tool will be turn off. Then the CPU can be evaluated.

Review the earlier post. The hardware components need to be ruled in / ruled out with valid tests.

For Memtest 86+ version 5.01 > 8 or more passes and the more the passes the better the test.
    For Prime95 > 3 hours (abort testing as needed)
    For FurMark > 1 hour (abort testing as needed)
    For HD Tune > Health, Benchmark, and Full error scan
    For PSU > check 3.3, 5, and 12 V values with CPU voltage and frequency

For drivers they often can be updated to fix them.
    Sometimes they need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled.
    Other times they are completely uninstalled.

For the Qualcom the windows driver verifier results will provide information about the stability / instability of the current driver.
    If it needs to be uninstalled and replaced that can be performed pending the future debugging results.

zbook, Jan 4, 2018
  14. RobN17 Win User
    Thanks for the info on working with BSOD issues. I will look at your suggestions... I don't mind learning as this is fast becoming my full time hobby.

I had another BSOD and it was when the WiFi showed internet not being connected and the BSOD "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" happened when I trouble shooted the Internet connection. I think I have a suspect Qualcom Driver and will look at solutions.

When I started assembling this PC, I purchased the MB, CPU and 8GB DDR4 memory all assembled and tested. I then added what I thought was 2400 DDR4 but is actually at 2133 but the seller said this was by design and could be overclocked easily to 2400.

I hear what you say about Memtest etc. and have decided to remove the additional 8GB memory and will then run Memtest 86+ until at least 8 passes, even though this means I'll be without the use of my PC. *Sad

I have a sneaking suspicion that when I run the tests on the original DDR4, I will get no errors, Fingers Crossed.

I will then run again the other tests mentioned in your post. I have also discovered where to load additional system info and this has been updated.

I have learnt so much with your assistance and that's fantastic. I have been making PCs for lots of years and my first few PCs were made of discrete components that I soldered onto the motherboard. For me working with PCs and software is great but also getting "under the hood" is just as interesting and rewarding.

I'll keep you posted on Memtest etc.
    cheers,
    Rob

RobN17, Jan 4, 2018
  15. philc43 Win User
    It is a well known problem that running with incompatible memory sticks can cause BSOD events (simply using RAM from different manufacturers is often enough to cause errors). I suspect this is the problem in your case. Your memory modules are clearly different:

Code: [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 0032h] Physical Memory Array Handle 002ch Memory Error Info Handle 0031h Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 8192MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator DIMM_A1 Bank Locator BANK 0 Memory Type 1ah - Specification Reserved Type Detail 4080h - Synchronous Speed 2400MHz Manufacturer Unknown Serial Number Asset Tag Number [String Not Specified] Part Number CT8G4DFD824A.C16FDD2 [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 0035h] Physical Memory Array Handle 002ch Memory Error Info Handle 0034h Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 8192MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator DIMM_A2 Bank Locator BANK 1 Memory Type 1ah - Specification Reserved Type Detail 4080h - Synchronous Speed 2400MHz Manufacturer Unknown Serial Number Asset Tag Number [String Not Specified] Part Number F4-2400C15-8GNT[/quote]
    Try just one memory stick and see if your PC is then free of any BSOD.

philc43, Jan 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple BSOD on home brew PC - Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_Trap most often - Similar Threads - Multiple BSOD home

2. Multiple BSODs, mostly KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSODs, mostly KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Most BSODs have been KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLEDSteps I've tried:- sfc /scan now, first passed fixed errors, second pass detected no errors.- Display drivers removed with DDU and reinstalled.- chkdsk /f- HCI Memtest passed with slight XMPAll these BSODs have happened during...
  3. Multiple BSODs, mostly KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSODs, mostly KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Most BSODs have been KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLEDSteps I've tried:- sfc /scan now, first passed fixed errors, second pass detected no errors.- Display drivers removed with DDU and reinstalled.- chkdsk /f- HCI Memtest passed with slight XMPAll these BSODs have happened during...
  4. Multiple BSODs, mostly KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I keep getting multiple BSOD's recently, most often page_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I keep getting multiple BSOD's recently, most often page_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA: Ever since I installed a new NVME SSD, I've been getting BSOD's almost every day. I've tried everything, from repairing all the drives to repairing all the RAM. I still can't seem to find out what's causing the problem here, as the NVME SSD is displayed to be healthy. I've...
  6. Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP BSOD on PC

Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP BSOD on PC: Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 18363 Windows dir: C:\Windows Hardware: MS-7978, MSI, H170 GAMING M3 MS-7978 CPU: GenuineIntel IntelR CoreTM i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6 8 logical processors, active mask: 255 RAM: 17124904960 bytes total Crash...
  7. BSoD Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap when shutting down PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSoD Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap when shutting down PC: I don't know if this is harmful. It never occurs normally when working/playing games, just when shut down. I've tried solution that change dumping files from auto to small and it doesn't work. I need to turn off the plug to shut down pc. How to fix this? submitted by...
  8. BSOD UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

BSOD UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP: I thought the problem was fixed from my last post, but it seems the problem still persists. The problem first started when I noticed several visual bugs like red and green stripes in the below image. This would appear when I'm using Battle.net launcher, Steam, Uplay,...
  9. BSOD Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

BSOD Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap: Hello everyone, First time posting here and I am completely lost on what to do. I have tried everything I could think of to fix this issue and have not been able to find a solution. Hoping someone here can help. I have been getting random BSOD's for a few months now. I...
  10. BSOD (Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_TRAP)

BSOD (Unexpected_Kernel_Mode_TRAP): Every time I get on league of legends or any thing that uses graphics, I get the BSOD UNEXEPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. This is extremely annoying and also happens when I watch YouTube videos. This is a brand new computer I built myself and didn't have any problems until I...