Windows 10: Multiple BSODs after upgrading from Win 7 to 10 despite driver updates

Discus and support Multiple BSODs after upgrading from Win 7 to 10 despite driver updates in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have used my Lenovo T510 with Win 7 Professional for many years with a SDD installed two years ago. On reading that MS was withdrawing support in Feb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bakoven18, Oct 21, 2019.

1. bakoven18 Win User

Multiple BSODs after upgrading from Win 7 to 10 despite driver updates

I have used my Lenovo T510 with Win 7 Professional for many years with a SDD installed two years ago.
    On reading that MS was withdrawing support in Feb 2020 I decided to try an upgrade to 10
    I initially upgraded to the latest driver for the Nvidia graphics, as I could recall when 10 was initially offered for a free upgrade it failed on the graphics. I then used the MS media creation tool to upgrade to 10.
    Initially the upgrade all seem to have gone well.
    But I then realized I was suffering from multiple daily BSODs whether I was using the PC or not. It therefore was very random.
    I have removed all old unnecessary programs and also purchased the DriverEasy program to update drivers of which it found 22 despite having manually updated via Device Manager.
    Nothing that I have done has made the PC any more stable so I am hoping that the forum might be able to assist
    Here is the link to the V2 log collector:

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
    My Windows version is 10 Pro Version 1903 OS Build 18362418

:)

bakoven18, Oct 21, 2019
  2. n2bn2b Win User

Recommend hardware changes for upgrading from Win-7 to Win-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Oct 21, 2019
  3. Chipset drivers for Win 7

Yes, just use the Vista x64 drivers. Should work.

A Cheese Danish, Oct 21, 2019
  4. alexsubri Win User

BSOD- atikmpag.sys

This is most likely due to an installation/upgrade error with ATI driver's. I suggest doing DriveSweeper and the following:
    • Drivesweeper all drivers & in Safe Mode
    • Unistall all drivers that aren't used in DriveSweeper (CCC Profiler Updates, MSI AfterBurner, anything related to ATI that use's it's drivers.)
    • After you do this, the first thing you need to do is go into Device Manager and Unistall your ATI Drivers
    Multiple BSODs after upgrading from Win 7 to 10 despite driver updates [​IMG]

Once your done, restart the PC and then try installing the latest drivers.

I had several issues with this in the past, but I overcame it with logical reasoning and whenever I have a driver issue, I just use these steps and I always overcome the problem.

Best of luck! *Toast :toast:

alexsubri, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Multiple BSODs after upgrading from Win 7 to 10 despite driver updates - Similar Threads - Multiple BSODs upgrading

2. Multiple BSOD after updating drivers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSOD after updating drivers: I've had several BSOD errors over the last month or so. I initially suspected a faulty driver in my GPU since analyzing my MEMORY.DMP file in WinDB indicated that this was the case. However, I am still getting the blue screen despite my best efforts, most recently with a...
  3. Multiple BSOD after updating drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSOD after updating drivers: I've had several BSOD errors over the last month or so. I initially suspected a faulty driver in my GPU since analyzing my MEMORY.DMP file in WinDB indicated that this was the case. However, I am still getting the blue screen despite my best efforts, most recently with a...
  4. After upgrading to Win 10 from win 7 Device & driver problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After upgrading to Win 10 from win 7 Device & driver problem: I am on HP96After upgrade to Win 10 KB button for disabling/enabling wjfi stopped responding ? Any help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-upgrading-to-win-10-from-win-7-device-driver/70be9f6b-305b-4504-b6f1-ed0c29369104
  5. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Hello.Few days ago i make upgrade to Windows 10 on my computer with Windows 7 PRO licence. I know that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 is not free any more. If i check Activation status it is Activeted with digital licence. Is this legal?...
  6. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: If I upgrade my operating system to Win 10 , must I redownload and reinstall all the games that I have on my PC ( around 12 Terabytes ) ? or there is a workaround to avoid that ( so that I can play them in Win 10 without the hassle ) ? Most of the games are on ( steam ,...
  7. DRIVERS CHANGED UP AFTER UPDATE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DRIVERS CHANGED UP AFTER UPDATE FROM WIN 7 TO 10: I installed window 10 yesterday and all my drivers were swapped by windows driver as i am having a old geforce 7050 620i and now i can't install them manually but of no use they don't get updated and just because of that i cant set my screen to its original resolution which...
  8. Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10: The question is about performing a system restore after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7. If one: Upgrades to Windows 10 THEN performs a system restore ... will the system restore with Windows 10 or will it revert back to an earlier version, in this case Win 7? If it...
  9. BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10: I have a pc I built myself that's been running on windows 7 without any issues whatsoever. I've left this pc on for a week at a time without a bluescreen or even shutdowns. Ever since I've upgraded to windows 10, I've been getting store exception errors every day or two....
  10. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade fails after features & drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade fails after features & drivers: Hi, Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. I get the Win 10 download and the notification saying you are ready to upgrade. I accept and proceed to upgrade. The PC check says, my pc which is a Dell XPS L502X (probably 2012 - dont remember the year) is ready and will have no...