Windows 10: Multiple computers use the same Microsoft account and they all use different login user...

Discus and support Multiple computers use the same Microsoft account and they all use different login user... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have multiple computers that are all using the same admin microsoft account. I it a shared microsoft email accessed by multiple members of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by missyklimczak, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Multiple computers use the same Microsoft account and they all use different login user...

I have multiple computers that are all using the same admin microsoft account. I it a shared microsoft email accessed by multiple members of a group. Each computer was given a different name for login counter1, counter2 based on its location in the office. I would like to change that user name but keep all the other information for that computer. I would simply like to change to something like Stage1 instead of Counter 1. I don't want to loose anything since we have been using this computer for quite some time and I am afraid if I make a new user name there will be lost files, or problems later. Or is there a way to copy or duplicate user with a different name. I really want to make sure the desktop, files, system layout, everything stays the same.

:)

missyklimczak, Sep 15, 2020

2. Random account appeared on login to my computer

Hi Mathew,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I suggest you to try the below steps to remove the user account from your computer.

• Login to your computer through administrator account.

• Press Windows key + r and type
      netplwiz
      , hit Enter.

• Select the user account, you want to remove.

• Click on the Remove button.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Old user account with Microsoft account reappeared on the computer

Hi Graham,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It is very unusual that the old profile has reappeared on the computer.

Ideally, the old profile will only reappear if System Restore has been performed on the computer. We would like to if you are aware of any changes made to the computer.

As you have mentioned that your Microsoft account is linked to your old profile, I would suggest you to convert the Microsoft account to a local account by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the old account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on Accounts and select
      Your info
      from the left pane.
    4. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

After converting the account to a local account, if you wish to delete the account, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the newly created account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    3. Type control and click on
      OK
    4. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      View by.
    5. Now, click on User Accounts.
    6. Click on Manage another account and select the user account that you want to remove.
    7. Click on Delete the account and select
      Keep Files (if you want to keep the files of the user account) else select Delete
      to remove the account.

After deleting the old user account, to convert the new user account to a Microsoft account, go to
    Settings (Windows Logo key + I) >> Accounts >>
    Your info
    >> click on Sign in with a Microsoft account and follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope the information provided by me is helpful for you.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Multiple computers use the same Microsoft account and they all use different login user...

What is the point of using a Microsoft account as a login for a computer?

I'm not certain why you bothered to answer my question -- since you did not.

You provided 3 points:

• Microsoft account FAQ

Microsoft account | Sign In or Create Your Account Today – Microsoft

This link explains what a Microsoft account is, how to get one, security and privacy. This applies only to logins into Microsoft systems (webpages, onedrive) BUT NOT to logins into my own machine -- and this is what my questions was all about
    • One account for all things Microsoft

Microsoft account | Sign In or Create Your Account Today – Microsoft

This is a link to manage ones Microsoft account. Again it has nothing to do with the login into my own machine
    • Andre Da Costa

Windows 10 and Microsoft account

This applies to how to install and/or setup windows 10. This site even says, that the advantage of using a Microsoft account to login into once PC is that one can synchronize settings over multiple PCs. So this link does say something about using a Microsoft
      account to login into once PC. But it does not answer my question (or most points of it):
    • What is my motivation for using a Microsoft account to login into my PC?
      • OK -- synchronize settings over multiple PCs as said in the Adre Da Costa link. This is one point you pro vided -- thanks!
      • but I've still to login multiple times into every webpage and every Microsoft software again, despite already having provided my Microsoft password when logging into the PC. So again, I don't understand why I should login using a Microsoft account.
      • the Microsoft account password does not propagate to the PC after having been changed. I tried different ways of changing it:
        • starting online on some Microsoft webpage
        • starting from "user accounts" control panel (which also works via some Microsoft webpage)

and the change of password never propagated to my machine

Potentially this breaks the synching of settings, as the computer cannot provide the correct password anymore (assuming that this is checked later -- but this would mean asynchron check of the password instead when entering -- with all its crazy effects

• Please also consider, that the change of Microsoft account password not propagating to my machine made me believe, that my machine is either hacked or corrupted and I deleted the local account and recreated it, loosing some files despite I've clicked, preserve
      files.

ExcessPhase, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

Multiple computers use the same Microsoft account and they all use different login user...

1. Multiple computers use the same Microsoft account and they all use different login user... - Similar Threads - Multiple computers same

2. Can we use different keys for the same Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can we use different keys for the same Microsoft account?: Hi,I have a laptop which came along with an OEM version of Windows 11, and a desktop which I'm planning to buy a pro version of Windows 11 from a retailer. I'll use the same Microsoft account to sign in both of them. Is it okay to use different Windows keys for the same...
  3. Can we use different keys for the same Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can we use different keys for the same Microsoft account?: Hi,I have a laptop which came along with an OEM version of Windows 11, and a desktop which I'm planning to buy a pro version of Windows 11 from a retailer. I'll use the same Microsoft account to sign in both of them. Is it okay to use different Windows keys for the same...
  4. Unable to login to Windows 11 using different Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login to Windows 11 using different Microsoft Account: I am using Windows 11 Home edition. I tried adding a new login user ID. The user ID is a Microsoft Outlook/Live account. After adding the new user, the system prompted that I must be connected to the internet for first time login.I have tried using both wired internet and...
  5. Login to Windows 10 on two computers using same Microsoft account login.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login to Windows 10 on two computers using same Microsoft account login.: I have a Windows 10 laptop that I log into with my Microsoft account. I am about to start using another Windows 10 laptop and wanted to know if I can also login to that computer with the same Microsoft account? If I do, will my OneDrive backup be overwrite my current laptop...
  6. Is a different user on the same computer still considered the same “device” when using gmail?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is a different user on the same computer still considered the same “device” when using gmail?: If I login to my gmail from a different windows user on the same computer, will it trigger the “login from a new device” or “suspicious activity” warning because it’s from a different windows user account? Or does it just read the computer/device as a whole? submitted by...
  7. Multiple users in same account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple users in same account: [ATTACH] I have no idea what is this on earth. Can someone please help me make that only one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-users-in-same-account/6d3def8f-7d70-4238-b16a-8e994c9c6441
  8. using 1 Microsoft account on 2 computers with the same account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    using 1 Microsoft account on 2 computers with the same account: Hi i am just wondering because im going to build a new computer in a month with a new product key for windows 10 home. I just wanted to see if i can use 1 Microsoft account with all my games on there to sign in on my computer im going to be building because i just recently...
  9. login to several computers using the same user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    login to several computers using the same user: I often need to login to several win 10 computers at the same time using the same admin user account There is a way to do that, maybe running a script or command automatically? It will save me a lot of time. Thanks 97828
  10. System using two different names for same user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    System using two different names for same user account: I am setting up a new PC. Win 10 seems to force you to use a Microsoft email account/address as the basis for setting it up. It then uses 5 letters from the email name as your user account name. You can then convert the user account to a "local" account, not tied in to the...