Windows 10: Multiple desktops: keep new windows on their native desktops?

Discus and support Multiple desktops: keep new windows on their native desktops? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This problem has been present in Windows native multi-desktop implementation since day one: When one application spawns another application, the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AndreyT_04, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Multiple desktops: keep new windows on their native desktops?

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]This problem has been present in Windows native multi-desktop implementation since day one: [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]When one application spawns another application, the new window for the new application pops up on the current desktop instead of appearing on the original spawning desktop. For example, when Visual Studio on desktop 1 finishes compilation and launches a console program, the new console window pops up on the current desktop, instead of staying on desktop 1.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba51, 51, 51, 1]I was hoping that eventually Windows developers will find a solution for this problem, but alas it is still there, which makes Windows built-in multi-desktop functionality virtually unusable.

So, is there some inherent problem with Windows architecture that prevents it from better isolating the desktops from one another? Is there any plans to fix this issue eventually? Or maybe there is there a tweak or workaround they would fix this annoying behavior? [/COLOR]

:)

AndreyT_04, Mar 27, 2021
  2. Mala_S Win User

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Shorty_37 Win User
    Multiple Desktops

My computer is a Toshiba, model PSCFWC-00S-002. I'm am referring to task view where you click on it and at the very bottom it says desktop (1, 2 ... ) if you have multiple desktops. I received an email about windows 10 suggesting that I could make a
    second desktop by clicking new desktop at the bottom. I click on new desktop and a carbon copy of the first desktop appears. If I delete something in desktop 2 it will delete it in desktop one. If I add an app in desktop 2 it will add it to desktop one.
    The same happens in reverse (adding and deleting from desktop 1). I do not get any error messages. Thank you for your help.

Shorty_37, Mar 27, 2021
  4. Multiple desktops: keep new windows on their native desktops?

Multiple Desktops

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would require some more information to assist you better.

• What is the make & model of the computer?
    • When you say multiple desktop are you referring to task view?
    • When you try to put different apps on different desktops what happens next?
    • Do you get any error message?

Windows 10 would have the multiple desktops option. Besides having independent backgrounds and icons, each desktop should have independent windows of the same program running.

The information is not sufficient to answer your question. Reply us with more information by answering the above questions

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

Multiple desktops: keep new windows on their native desktops?

1. Multiple desktops: keep new windows on their native desktops? - Similar Threads - Multiple desktops keep

2. Multiple Desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Desktops: When I create a 2nd desktop, all the apps,etc., on Desktop1 show on Desktop 2. Also, when I add or delete an app or shortcut, it is duplicated on the other desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-desktops/e3b01a15-9098-4da0-acd5-a4d1a5161884
  3. Multiple Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Desktop: For some reason if I open two or more desktops , and i stay on one deskop for a while , my pc will automatically close the applications i have running in other desktops ... Why is this so?...
  4. Multiple Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple Desktops: Multiple desktops in Windows 10, how can I stop them syncing, I have turned off the syncing option in all settings. I am trying to personalise the favourite bar in each desktop on the one computer so myself and my partner can have it set up just as we like it for our...
  5. Multiple desktops: keep new windows on their native desktops?

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple desktops: keep new windows on their native desktops?: This problem has been present in Windows native multi-desktop implementation since day one. When one application spawns another application, the new window for the new application pops up on the current desktop instead of appearing on the original spawning desktop. For...
  6. Native Desktop Media Service.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Native Desktop Media Service.: I have spent too many hours trying to remove the Native Desktop Media Service file from my Windows 10. I have followed several YouTube instructions which are really bizarre because they are very hard to understand or without audio and have done numerous scans to try to get...
  7. multiple desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple desktops: How do I show the taskbar only on the desktop I'm using. The settings in settings don't work. The taskbar shows on all desktops even if I select only the one I'm using. If I change the taskbar, it changes and shows on all desktops....
  8. Multiple Desktops - Applications keep jumping between desktops on wake

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Desktops - Applications keep jumping between desktops on wake: I keep 2 virtual desktops, one for my personal applications and the other for official work. I have multiple windows of Google Chrome on both the desktops, some excel windows, PDF files etc. Whenever my computer wakes from sleep, the entire arrangement gets messed up and...
  9. Multiple desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple desktops: Just found the new feature (for windows anyway) of multiple desktops. This I like a lot, makes multitasking that much more easier :-) Does anyone know if there are, and if so, what are the keyboard controls? do I have to use the task bar button to create a new desktop, and...
  10. Multiple Desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Desktops: Is it possible to create multiple and independent desktops? I clicked on Task View and was able to create several desktops, all exact images of my main desktop. However, when I deleted some unneeded Icons from Desktop 2, I discovered that the selected icons were also...