Windows 10: Multiple Desktops

Discus and support Multiple Desktops in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a lot of shortcut Icons on my Win 10 laptop desktop (over 60) and would like to be able to sort them into two groups of related applications,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Willum08, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Willum08 Win User

Multiple Desktops

I have a lot of shortcut Icons on my Win 10 laptop desktop (over 60) and would like to be able to sort them into two groups of related applications, and place them on two different desktop displays, which I could switch between by using say a combination of keyboard presses.Could anyone advise if this is possible either by using something native in Windows 10 or an additional App.
    I realize that there is a facility within WIndows 10 for multiple Desktops, but this does not seem to provide the configuration which i'm seeking.
    Thanks for any help - much appreciated.

:)

Willum08, Sep 13, 2017

2. Multiple Desktops on Multiple Monitors

<confusion>

zachd [MSFT], Sep 13, 2017
  3. d0gknees Win User
    Multiple Desktops on Multiple Monitors

Thanks for responding. In the past when I got a new version of Windows, the first thing I would do is go through all the control panel items, look into every dialog, More>> button, "Advanced..." button an so on looking for new and different features that
    will enable me to do more. Having done it once for the new OS, I don't need to go looking again, because I've checked everything. Now, it's like we're supposed to check everything every time there's an update because there's not even a (complete) list of changes
    to check.

d0gknees, Sep 13, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

Multiple Desktops

Willum,

Is your aim to work with multiple desktops or is that merely a means to an end?

If you are really just trying to get some structure for your shortcuts so they are easier to work with then you could consider a Taskbar Toolbar.

Multiple Desktops [​IMG]

You can create one by right-clicking on your Taskbar & selecting the Toolbars item then just point it to a folder structure where you have all your shortcuts grouped into subfolders however you wish.

In my illustration, you can see two Taskbar Toolbars - Menus, Favorites.
    • Menus is just a folder in my own Documents folder group whilst Favorites is the IE Favorites folder.
    • Each of the entries in the main list is a subfolder within Menus & each of the sub-items [Deutsch, Francais] are subfolders within the 12 Languages subfolder.
    • I can add to, delete from & re-arrange shortcuts as much as I want.
    • I can mix shortcuts to applications with shortcuts to individual files or to folders.
    • Taskbar toolbars fly out XP-style as you can see so you can move around them very quickly.

Denis

5. Willum08 Win User
    Thanks for your reply Denis - your time and effort is much appreciated *Smile

What I'm attempting to do is to create two distict versions of the natural Windows 10 desktop, which each contain say half of the icons which are currently on my single desktop. One version would probably contain icons which I use regularly and the other would contain icons which I use rarely.
    The effect I am trying to achieve would be similar to having two User Accounts with their individual Desktops and shortcut icons.

Willum08, Sep 13, 2017
  6. nt62 Win User
    stardock fences - / > tiles

7. Try3 Win User
    Willum,

I do not know of any method for getting Windows to do what you want.

Denis

8. nt62 Win User

Multiple Desktops

Hello Willum08.

If you have 2 monitors, they can be set to display as extended, and your preferred can be sorted that way

what was suggested can do this (fences) separated by extended displays
    ... unclear ... 2 monitors - or 1 monitor with multiple desktops -

very easy - just add another user -

If your point was to have 1 user only and multiple desktops -

fences is a good desktop icon sort tool that can hide groups - can create multiple fences that can be ghosted
    tiles is a little dated and complex but can do much (see pm - message inbox)

depends on what you seek - unclear -
    - multi monitors or 1 - extended or single display - multiple users for distinct independence

best wishes
    good luck

9. Try3 Win User
  10. Willum08 Win User
    My sincere thanks to all you guys for taking the time and trouble to help me. I think I should give 'fences' a try...
    it seems to provide a reasonable solution.
    I'm not intending to use two monitors - just the single display on my laptop.

Kind Regards to all

Willum08, Sep 14, 2017
  11. Willum08 Win User
    Hi, Just downloaded a trial copy of Stardock 'Fences 3' and having had a play with it, it can do exactly what I want !
    And, the bonus is that I can have as many desktops as I want and move between them just by holding down both mouse buttons with the cursor on a blank area of the screen, and swiping left or right... Great program.
    Wonderful ! Thanks nt62 - You've made my day ! *Biggrin

Willum08, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Multiple Desktops

1. Multiple Desktops - Similar Threads - Multiple Desktops

2. Can I permanently save my multiple desktops?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I permanently save my multiple desktops?: Is there a way to keep multiple desktops active even after shut down or restarting my computer. It seems like the multiple desktop feature only works if your computer will be on sleep mode but if you restart or shutdown, all your windows are put back into a single...
  3. Can I permanently save my multiple desktops?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I permanently save my multiple desktops?: Is there a way to keep multiple desktops active even after shut down or restarting my computer. It seems like the multiple desktop feature only works if your computer will be on sleep mode but if you restart or shutdown, all your windows are put back into a single...
  4. Syncing Multiple Desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Syncing Multiple Desktops: Hi!I thought I remembered during the launch of Win11, they mentioned the multiple desktops would now be sync-able across PCs. Is this accurate? If so, how can I enable this, so that the multiple desktops on my laptop sync with my desktop? And further, is there a third-party...
  5. Syncing Multiple Desktops

Syncing Multiple Desktops: Hi!I thought I remembered during the launch of Win11, they mentioned the multiple desktops would now be sync-able across PCs. Is this accurate? If so, how can I enable this, so that the multiple desktops on my laptop sync with my desktop? And further, is there a third-party...
  6. Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection: we have multiple computers joined to a windows server domain with desktop redirection setup. However, not every computer has the same software installed and although each person has their own dedicated computer to use sometimes they need to sign into another computer and if...
  7. Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection

Desktop icons when signing into multiple domain joined computers with folder redirection: we have multiple computers joined to a windows server domain with desktop redirection setup. However, not every computer has the same software installed and although each person has their own dedicated computer to use sometimes they need to sign into another computer and if...
  8. Multiple display of two desktop screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple display of two desktop screen: I have extended my screen into another screen and I am using two desktop in my laptop. How can I see one desktop screen in laptop and another desktop screen in another screen. At present I am only able to share one same desktop screen into another screen and whenever I change...
  9. Multiple display of two desktop screen

Multiple display of two desktop screen: I have extended my screen into another screen and I am using two desktop in my laptop. How can I see one desktop screen in laptop and another desktop screen in another screen. At present I am only able to share one same desktop screen into another screen and whenever I change...
  10. Remote Desktop v10.2.3012.0 does not have option to select multiple monitors

Remote Desktop v10.2.3012.0 does not have option to select multiple monitors: Does anyone know where I can find the settings to select multiple monitors? In previous versions, I could right-click the desktop, and the settings would appear. Now it just shows "Pin/Unpin from start" and "Start in this Window"v10v1.2 which shows the settings where I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fences multiple desktop w10 diferent icons