Windows 10: Multiple different OS on removable disks on a computer

Discus and support Multiple different OS on removable disks on a computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just installed Win 10 Pro 64 bits onto a removable disk which slides into a sata caddy on a new machine. I understand that in some way Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by marc1234, Apr 6, 2019.

1. marc1234 Win User

Multiple different OS on removable disks on a computer

I have just installed Win 10 Pro 64 bits onto a removable disk which slides into a sata caddy on a new machine. I understand that in some way Microsoft knows that the OS has been used and will not allow the key to used on another machine. I don't know if this is recorded inside the PC or somewhere else that stores Microsofts' data.

I now wish to install Win XP onto another removable disk to run old programs that I haven't been able to get to work in Win 10 Pro 64 or 32 bit systems. This disk would never have internet connection. I am also playing wirh Ubuntu and that will be on another disk so 3 disks in all. This worked with no problem in an older machine.

Could what I propose have any impact on the original OS or would they all be recognised and work independently of each other and with no impact on bios or motherboard.

Hoping somebody can help..............thanks

:)

marc1234, Apr 6, 2019

2. Remove spare hard disk as system disk

I have SSD which is my main drive (OS installed) and listed as system disk and I also have another HDD which is my storage but also listed as a system disk. My question is how do I remove the hard disk as a system disk? By removing and keeping as system
    disks make a difference?

Multiple different OS on removable disks on a computer c578018d-a87d-4712-8845-bebc0d621187?upload=true.png

Kerr Almario, Apr 6, 2019
  3. Tada411 Win User
    copy from removable disk to computer

How do I copy files from a removable disk (one of those little zips) to my computer? I need step by step instructions. Thank you!

Tada411, Apr 6, 2019
  4. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Multiple different OS on removable disks on a computer - Similar Threads - Multiple different removable

2. Get a recovery disk or software on a different OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get a recovery disk or software on a different OS: I have a HP Envy Desktop. Product Number: T4A37AA#ABA Model: 750-267c Serial number: MXX6280LMW A few months after purchase from Costco, the Windows OS crashed & wouldn't load. I installed Linux on it for day to day use. I now need to install the original or updated Windows...
  3. Get a recovery disk or software on a different OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get a recovery disk or software on a different OS: I have a HP Envy Desktop. Product Number: T4A37AA#ABA Model: 750-267c Serial number: MXX6280LMW A few months after purchase from Costco, the Windows OS crashed & wouldn't load. I installed Linux on it for day to day use. I now need to install the original or updated Windows...
  4. Get a recovery disk or software on a different OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Multiple accounts on different PCs - can't remove

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multiple accounts on different PCs - can't remove: We have a few different MS accounts setup - family home desktop and children PCs laptops. Unfortunately the accounts constantly switch from one computer to the other and we can't remove them. How do we remove the accounts so each computer has it's own account and data/info...
  6. Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference of folder's size vs size on disk by multiples: One folder I checked the properties of showed 55GB of files but "Size on disk" was 300+GB... I understand how they can be different, but I'm unsure of what that much of a difference actually means. [img] Is 300GB of drive space actually being used? It seems like a...
  7. Help repairig windows 10 on a different disk then the running OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help repairig windows 10 on a different disk then the running OS: Basically I have cloned the OS partition to another drive intending to use that drive for OS purposes and the current for games. But there seems to have gone something wrong, the clone won't boot into windows. How do I use the windows 10 install fix option on a different...
  8. Multiple Recovery Partitions on my disk + Remove deprecated OS installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Recovery Partitions on my disk + Remove deprecated OS installation: Issue 1: I had purchased a Windows 8 installation with my Dell laptop, i upgraded it to windows 8.1, and later to windows 10 when it was initially released. But at that time, it was riddled with bugs, so i reverted back to windows 8 and continued to use 8 without any...
  9. OS Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS Disk: How can I get an original OS CD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/os-disk/98fdcf64-6833-4444-b2e0-25815aecc568
  10. Installing different OS without removing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Installing different OS without removing Windows 10: If I wanted to install a different operating system for experimentation, would that overwrite the Windows 10 OS already in use, meaning I couldn't go back to it, or would W10 remain on the HDD in another partition and can be safely retrieved? Thanks . 113189