Windows 10: Multiple disk volume created in Disk Management vs Storage Spaces

Discus and support Multiple disk volume created in Disk Management vs Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I would like to create a spanned volume of two hard drives, I have already found out that there is a difference between use of the Disk Management and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by deuXmartini, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Multiple disk volume created in Disk Management vs Storage Spaces

I would like to create a spanned volume of two hard drives, I have already found out that there is a difference between use of the Disk Management and the Storage Spaces, we can create an ordinary Spanned Volume (like JBOD) or a Striped Volume (like RAID-0) in the Disk Management, while the Storage Spaces allow us to chose only resiliency type, that is Simple (no resiliency) (which seems to be striped writing, so again like RAID-0), Two-way mirror (RAID-1), Three-way mirror and Parity (RAID-5). So if we actually want a JBOD like solution and no striping, we should create a Spanned Volume in the Disk Management, if we need mirroring and parity options, we have to do it through the Storage Spaces. However, if we ask for the RAID-0 like option, we can chose either the Disk Management or the Storage Spaces. Is there actually any difference between using the two utilities in the OS in this particular case, any advantages or disadvantages of either utility?
    I also have a question – since it is not a proper hardware RAID/JBOD but just a Windows software solution, if we decide to create a spanned or striped volume using either of the above-mentioned system options, will a different or a new OS installation know how to read the volume split accross multiple drives (for example, we would attach all the needed drives to a different PC or we reinstalled the OS or changed the system disk), or is it only the system (the particular installation) in which that spanned or striped volume has been created that is able to properly read the drives and in the case of fresh OS installation we would need to wipe them, create a new spanned/striped volume in the new system and copy all data from back up?

:)

deuXmartini, Aug 5, 2019

2. Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Aug 5, 2019
  3. Extend Volume in disk managment not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Since when did the issue started appearing?

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

I suggest you to follow the exact steps mentioned below and check if you are able to perform the action.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".

• In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu

• Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up
      space.
    Check if it helps.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Aug 5, 2019
  4. Multiple disk volume created in Disk Management vs Storage Spaces

disk space

Hi.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".

In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu.

Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up space.

Hope the information helps.

Mark St..., Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

Multiple disk volume created in Disk Management vs Storage Spaces

1. Multiple disk volume created in Disk Management vs Storage Spaces - Similar Threads - Multiple disk volume

2. Missing "System > Storage > Manage Disk & Volume" Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing "System > Storage > Manage Disk & Volume" Menu: [ATTACH] I found this article: https://www.technewstoday.com/what-is-normal-ssd-temperature/, as I was curious what my pc's drive temps were doing some intensive copying. The powershell command showed the data I wanted to see, but I'm curious why my Windows 10 wouldn't...
  3. disk space management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk space management: I have unallocated space but i am unable to add it to c drive as it is not adjacent to c drive.how to move unallocated space to the right of c drive so that extend volume option is not greyed out...
  4. disk space management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk space management: I have unallocated space but i am unable to add it to c drive as it is not adjacent to c drive.how to move unallocated space to the right of c drive so that extend volume option is not greyed out...
  5. disk space management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Storage Spaces with Boot Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces with Boot Disk: I have a new laptop with a single SSD on a PCIe controller, Win 10 Pro. That SSD is my boot drive. Can I add a second SSD of exactly the same model and size and create a mirror without data loss?It seems that a long time ago it was not possible but now might be different. I...
  7. Storage Spaces and Disk Management do not show Storage Space drives

Storage Spaces and Disk Management do not show Storage Space drives: I was using the non-SSD drives shown as a Storage Space. I can see them in Device Manager and if I use the Get-PhysicalDisk command, but I can't see them in Storage Spaces and Disk Management. It appears that two of the drives have failed, the ST3000DM001-1CH166 ATA Device...
  8. Storage and low disk space

Storage and low disk space: Hello, I have had this pc since Christmas and my disk space is low, so I switched default storage devices: start/settings/system/storage. But that did not work, can anyone help with this problem? Thanks....
  9. Disk manager disk partition with 3.77gb storage

Disk manager disk partition with 3.77gb storage: Hello everyone. Please help . What is it? How can I delete it? I used different ways to get rid off from this but couldnot. I used diskpart command cleaned it, created new partition,deleted it formatted but could not remove from list. I can create from this partition,...
  10. there is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location

there is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on the storage location: Hi, I am having problems creating a system image on my Windows 10 PRO computer. I searched everywhere to find my answer but what I get is suggestions to install softwares to manage disk partions or other kinds of fixes. But I have been using Windows System backup since may...