Windows 10: Multiple displays rearrange windows every time the displays turn off

Discus and support Multiple displays rearrange windows every time the displays turn off in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have three monitors, of which two are the same model and the third is different. Every time the displays turn off due to the display sleep setting or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Devin Doucette, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Multiple displays rearrange windows every time the displays turn off

I have three monitors, of which two are the same model and the third is different. Every time the displays turn off due to the display sleep setting or the computer being locked, the windows are rearranged in at least two different ways. All windows on the monitor that is different, which is set to be the main display, are moved to one of the other monitors. As well, windows that were not maximized, including those which were snapped to one side, are often resized slightly.

All three monitors have the same resolution, 2560 x 1440. The most noticeable difference between the two models of monitor is that the one that is set to be the main display takes slightly longer to turn back on than the other two do. I suspect that Windows will automatically move windows to an available monitor when it thinks that one has been turned off. Assuming this is the case, is the delay before rearranging windows configurable somehow? I haven't had any luck in finding the right search terms to find a conclusive answer.

:)

Devin Doucette, Sep 7, 2020

2. Multiple display taskbar

Hi Justin,

Let me guide you now on how to set up multiple displays on a Windows 10 computer. You may follow the steps below to configure the correct display settings for your device.

Here are the steps:

• Right-click on your desktop.
    • Select Display settings, then different options will be displayed.
    • You can either choose Duplicate these displays to sync your activities from the original monitor with the second one or
      Extend these displays to be able to do multiple activities using separate displays.
    • After choosing your preferred option, click on Apply.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, Sep 7, 2020
  3. dual displays rearrange every time monitors go to sleep

Hi,

You may need to reconfigure your display's settings. Follow these steps to make your display settings permanent:

• Close or minimize all open programs.
    • Right click an empty area.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Under Multiple displays, select your desired settings.
    • Click Identify to verify which monitor is number 1 and number 2.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click Keep changes to save the settings.

Let us know the outcome.

Dennis Mop, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Multiple displays rearrange windows every time the displays turn off

Multiple display resizing

Hi,

Thank you posting on Microsoft Community.

We understand that you are facing an issue with the extending the display on multiple desktops.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Are you using multiple monitors to extend the display or using the multiple desktop screens on a single monitor?
    I would suggest you some steps which you can try resolving this issue.

Follow these steps to update graphics drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.

• Search for Display Adapters and expand it.

• Right click on the graphics driver and select Update driver software.
    Uninstall and Reinstall the graphics card drivers and check.

Refer:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Note: If you are using the multiple monitors to extend the display then please make sure the resolution of both the monitors are set equally same so that there is no issues with the size or any program or an app.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin V Rao, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

Multiple displays rearrange windows every time the displays turn off

1. Multiple displays rearrange windows every time the displays turn off - Similar Threads - Multiple displays rearrange

2. display not turning off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    display not turning off: i am downloading some large files and want the PC to remain on but not the display i did these settings in my power options but the display does not seem to turn off can anyone tell a fix thank you...
  3. display not turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    display not turning off: i am downloading some large files and want the PC to remain on but not the display i did these settings in my power options but the display does not seem to turn off can anyone tell a fix thank you...
  4. display not turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Display not turning off automatically at specified time

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display not turning off automatically at specified time: Hi, I am on [Version 10.0.19042.867]. This has recently started. Dispay does not turn off at all. If I go to the Power and Sleep options and specify the time, it works for the session. But the setting goes off after restart. Has anybody faced a similar situation?...
  6. Display not turning off automatically at specified time

in Windows 10 Support
    Display not turning off automatically at specified time: Hi, I am on [Version 10.0.19042.867]. This has recently started. Dispay does not turn off at all. If I go to the Power and Sleep options and specify the time, it works for the session. But the setting goes off after restart. Has anybody faced a similar situation?...
  7. Rearranging displays...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rearranging displays...: First things first: Dell Optiplex, Windows 10 up to date, and two monitors attached via display port. Okay, now the question. Why can't I rearrange the monitors?! Windows has monitor #1 left as secondary and monitor #2 right as the main monitor. I want them switched. I...
  8. turn off display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    turn off display: Hi, I have a screen and a tv plugged in my GC. When the TV is off, I would like the corresponding display to be turned off si my mouse don't get lost on a second screen that is not turned on. Normally I would go in the display setting page and turn it off from the...
  9. Display turns off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Display turns off: My display always turns off after 5 minutes of whatever game I played. My screen shows that it is sleeping, but I can't turn it on, forcing me to restart. I have set my monitor and computer to sleep after 2 hours. Is my computer over-heating, or can I fix this in my...
  10. Time to turn off display not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Time to turn off display not working.: I noticed my power options only seem to work once. If i go into power settings and set it to turn the monitor off in 1 hour it will work. Once i move the mouse and turn it back on it wont work a 2nd time until i change the time to a different number like 45min. Anyone else...