Windows 10: Multiple false windows boot managers

Discus and support Multiple false windows boot managers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; OK so here is the conundrum I am currently facing. I'll list my steps and where I am. First, I wanted to install gears 5 but couldn't because for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Timothy Bob, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Multiple false windows boot managers

OK so here is the conundrum I am currently facing. I'll list my steps and where I am.

First, I wanted to install gears 5 but couldn't because for some reason my computer wasn't updating (had no idea this was going on) and I didn't meet minimum requirements. So I attempted to download a windows 10 updating tool which told me I couldn't because I had a mbr system and not a gpt.

So I converted my system to gpt with some Microsoft tool and that worked just fine until I rebooted. After my reboot it says I didn't contain an efi boot file so the system couldn't start. I followed a couple guides and was able to boot into a recovery USB drive and through CMD generated a new EFI system partition. That gave me a second windows boot manager, and after I successfully updated my computer it gave me a third. Now I have multiple windows boot managers all on one hard drive but only the bottom one is real; the others just blue-screen-of-death (see image below).

Multiple false windows boot managers [​IMG]

I'd like to remove these duplicate windows boot manager so I don't have to spam F11 every time the computer starts up as the correct option is not default.

I installed a trial version of EasyUEFI and it at least shows me that three windows boot managers exit but heck if I know which is the correct one or what to do about it.

Multiple false windows boot managers 4886adbd-d49f-4abf-a4c5-87e1e7984afa?upload=true.png

-Yes I've run windows boot recovery from a bootable USB drive, it did not work.

-Yes I've looked into msconfig and it only shows 1 boot option

-yes I've run bcdedit and it only listed the following:

Multiple false windows boot managers 18d4bbf5-8d34-4fe9-9f3b-2f7f169407f0?upload=true.png

So i'm a little stuck. I'm not sure what I should do next and reinstalling windows is not an option because I can get into windows with quick F11 fingers.

:)

Timothy Bob, Sep 15, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Multiple Boot Managers and/or active partitions error

I don't know what you did to fix previously but with the commands above should rebuild the the partition unless the partition itself is corrupted preventing you to run those commands.
    Let's try another way:

1. Download the Macrium Rescue disk: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
    2. Using a USB stick to create a bootable USB with: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    3. Boot up the PC with UEFI Mode and follow the screen shots to rebuild the EFI System partition.
      NOTE: The title must show: ..... Win PE 10 [UEFI] for step 3 to work since your Windows installed with GPT disk.
    IMPORTANT: make sure you use the correct disk in step 2, in your case is disk 1

topgundcp, Sep 15, 2019
  3. False Boot Drive?

I have two disks listed as boot devices when my computer boots up, however I want to skip selecting the disk and boot directly to my SSD (Disk 1) instead. The other drive listed(Disk 3) just goes to a blank screen when selected.

In This PC the icon for Disk 3 is faded. There is no blue bar indicating drive space. It is listed as USB Drive (GMultiple false windows boot managers :)

In Disk Management, Disk 3 is listed as Removable with No media. There is no space available on the disk either.

From"CMD -> diskpart -> list disk" I get:
    Disk 0 Online 298GB
    Disk 1 Online 223GB
    Disk 2 Online 465GB
    Disk 3 No Media 0B

When disk 3 is selected and issued the command "Clean" I get the error "There is no media on the device"

What can I do to remove this false disk? There is nothing plugged into any USB ports that could be the problem. The problem has also persisted after multiple boots. It appears Windows is seeing a bootable flash drive that isn't real.

Deathspell55555, Sep 15, 2019
  4. Multiple false windows boot managers

Windows boot manager

There could be some system conflict triggered after the said changes. To help you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. A
    clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This will help to determine what is causing the issue on the Windows boot manager. To do this, click on this
    link and scroll down to the
    How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot section then follow the steps listed..

Note: If the installation is successful and the issue has been resolved. Please go through the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual” to reset your computer to the normal startup.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

Multiple false windows boot managers

1. Multiple false windows boot managers - Similar Threads - Multiple false boot

2. Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.: I just got sent a new laptop from my workplace to replace an old one and despite HR not having an issue during setup down in Georgia last week, when I opened it up here in NC it started complaining about the product key being used on another device. My best guess is the MS...
  3. Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.: I just got sent a new laptop from my workplace to replace an old one and despite HR not having an issue during setup down in Georgia last week, when I opened it up here in NC it started complaining about the product key being used on another device. My best guess is the MS...
  4. Windows falsely claims activation key was used multiple times.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Boot Manager: Hi everyone, Over the past year, I’ve had issues where my computer starts up and I get a blue screen telling me the boot options are wrong I forget the exact wording. I use the Escape button to open the BIOS settings, where I change the boot for my first device to EUFI...
  6. Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Boot Manager: Please help me fix Windows boot manager has been blocked by the current security policy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-boot-manager/7c342cd3-0a72-477d-86a5-b51058d5cec3
  7. Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI: Hi guys, im quite sure this might be a fairly simple one, but a little scared to change whats active and whats not My system is win 10 pro with GPT drives and only 1 OS. In my UEFI i have 2 windows boot manager pointing to the same phsyical hard drive. Wondering if its...
  8. Managing multiple displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Managing multiple displays: I have 2 displays connected to a Surface Pro 7. My requirements are pretty simple - when the lid is closed, turn OFF the onboard display and turn the external monitor and then when the lid is open, vice versa - turn ON the onboard display and turn off the external display....
  9. False Boot Drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    False Boot Drive?: I have two disks listed as boot devices when my computer boots up, however I want to skip selecting the disk and boot directly to my SSD (Disk 1) instead. The other drive listed(Disk 3) just goes to a blank screen when selected. In This PC the icon for Disk 3 is faded....
  10. Multiple Boot Managers and/or active partitions error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple Boot Managers and/or active partitions error: Hello, I get an error, about once every 4/5 months when the PC is interrupted via a power surge or incorrectly turned off during a restart that results in me having to fix, reset and rebuild the boot manager. It's a quick and usually painless process. I'm on Windows 10,...