Windows 10: Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year

Discus and support Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Again you have to post your system spec's in a post, when you are having issues. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Etetherin, Jan 7, 2016.

1. bro67 Win User

Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year

Again you have to post your system spec's in a post, when you are having issues.

bro67, Jan 9, 2016
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I'm really surprised how often I read on these Forums about HDD failure -- I've got quite a few HDD's all subject to varying degrees of abuse and over the years I don't think I've ever had more than TWO fail and even then I had enough warning to backup the data prior to complete failure.

HDD's can run quite hot (not the best idea!!) without failure. I've had different makes etc so I can't say if one manufacturer is worse than another.

SSD's are particularly robust as there's no moving parts either --although I don't recommend dropping them on to granite floors etc.

If you have a few HDD's why not set up Soft RAID using Storage spaces on W10 which should protect you against data failure --you CAN add HDD's dynamically and they can be of different sizes. Then if one goes --no prob just replace it dynamically into the storage pool and sling the old defective one.

1 of 3: An introduction to Microsoft Storage Spaces | Hardware Revolution

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Etetherin Win User
    Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year [​IMG]

Here is the sticker on psuif you need other infor let me know

When I get my computer running again I will post ny specs on a thread
    I will eventually look into that setup idea using w10. But I would like to fix my underlying issue.

Etetherin, Jan 9, 2016
  4. Etetherin Win User

Computer Type PC/Desktop
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free
    CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Base Board Z77X-UD3H
    Memory 16.00 GB
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
    Sound Card NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays Vizio 52 inch LCD LED HD TV
    Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60 Hz

Keyboard Ttesports by Thermaltech
    Mouse Logitech M305
    PSU ATX ILG-600R2 600W
    Case NZXT Phantom 530 Red ATX Full Tower Computer Case Includes 1 x 200mm Front, 1 x 140mm Rear 2 x USB 3
    Cooling (Air) 6x 6inch fans
    Hard Drives Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB Fixed internal 3 partition OS Disk WD Black 1TB Fixed Internal 1 Partition RAID 0 Disk 1 WD Black 1TB Fixed Internal 1 Partition RAID 0 Disk 2
    Internet Speed 94.48 Mbps Down 4.48 Mbps Up
    Browser Chrome
    Antivirus Windows Defender

This is my system specs

Etetherin, Jan 10, 2016
  5. Etetherin Win User
    Ok so I have it up again and its running

I unplugged the two WD blacks while setting up windows (For safety I don't want to install on wrong drive) got windows running shut it down and plugged in the two WD blacks restarted it and windows wont recognize the hard drives as being plugged in. (It wont let me browse them in explorer, its like they aren't even plugged in)

HOWEVER, BIOS recognizes them as being healthy and so does the RAID utility.
    So they aren't bad but I do not understand what is going on here.

Also i posted a picture of my PSU on the forum a few posts ago but it is also available in my system specs.

Etetherin, Jan 10, 2016
  6. Etetherin Win User
    Before I go all gun ho and replace my PSU I wanted to get all of yours take on it.
    When I got it I was told it was a "Mid Quality one that will handle my build". However I have added a different Video Card and also changed the Hard Drives in it since that statement was given to me.

Once I get help getting windows to recognize the drives I will get the aforementioned Drive utility and monitor the details given by that and post them here.

Again Thank You all for your continued help, I would be no where on my own.

Etetherin, Jan 10, 2016
  7. spacecon Win User
    Try this to see if Windows is seeing them at all: right click on start, then left click on Computer Management, and then in the new window left click on Storage>disk management. This will show the drives that Windows sees on the right hand side. See if the other drives are showing up in the right hand side of the window. If so, you can click on them to find out more info. You may have to click on them and assign a drive letter for Windows to use them (don't ask me why this sometimes happens).

spacecon, Jan 11, 2016
  8. Etetherin Win User

I tried that and I didn't see them

Etetherin, Jan 11, 2016
  9. spacecon Win User
    Have you checked Device Manage to see if there are any problems there?

spacecon, Jan 11, 2016
  10. Etetherin Win User
    Just looked, im not getting any of the exclamation points indicating an error or problem.
    Do they still do that in 10?
    my drives dont even show up in device manager

Etetherin, Jan 11, 2016
  11. Etetherin Win User
    OH wait do i need a software RAID manager to let windows see the raid array?
    Which should i use, I have always just used intel but that could maybe be the problem?

Etetherin, Jan 11, 2016
  12. Etetherin Win User
    Ok well I am going to go ahead and install Intel RST until someone else tells me otherwise

Etetherin, Jan 11, 2016
  13. Etetherin Win User

Installed it and it shows up now, So i will install the drive monitoring software and post the results here after 24 hours.

Still nobody has mentioned the PSU advice yet. You all asked for it and I provide then no one is here to follow up *-*

Etetherin, Jan 11, 2016
  14. spacecon Win User
    Sorry that no one has responded about the psu yet. I didn't want to because I don't have any experience as to which ones are any good. I was hoping that others might jump in who might have knowledge in that area. However, there is a whole bunch of info at tomshardware.com on that. They have a section on psu's and they have a rating system (a list of best to worst). You will have to search around on there a little bit, but there is some good info. Also, you can search their site, so you can type in the brand of your psu and see what has been already discussed on there about it.

spacecon, Jan 11, 2016
  15. Etetherin Win User
    Alright I will do! I definitely still hope someone gives advice here, it never hurts to have two sources

Etetherin, Jan 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year - Similar Threads - Multiple Hardrive failure

2. Constant BSODS over the past year with multiple games, and several different error messages.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant BSODS over the past year with multiple games, and several different error messages.: I've tried running memtest for hours on end, using different RAM, reformatting my PC, updating my drivers and uninstalling old unused ones, and I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why I'm bluescreening. It's not due to me running games my PC can't handle as it's crashed on...
  3. Constant BSODS over the past year with multiple games, and several different error messages.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant BSODS over the past year with multiple games, and several different error messages.: I've tried running memtest for hours on end, using different RAM, reformatting my PC, updating my drivers and uninstalling old unused ones, and I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why I'm bluescreening. It's not due to me running games my PC can't handle as it's crashed on...
  4. Multiple Process failures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Process failures: Hello...I've got a situation where pretty much everything is crashing as I open it. Some of them are 3rd party CPU Temp, Razer Synapse, but Windows Shell Common Dll crashes when open the sound Sound box, System Protection Settings crashes when I try to access System restore,...
  5. Multiple Process failures

Multiple Process failures: Hello...I've got a situation where pretty much everything is crashing as I open it. Some of them are 3rd party CPU Temp, Razer Synapse, but Windows Shell Common Dll crashes when open the sound Sound box, System Protection Settings crashes when I try to access System restore,...
  6. Multiple BSOD for many years

Multiple BSOD for many years: OK. That's it! Enough is enough! I have an Asus laptop that is plagued with BSODs almost since I bought it a little over 3 years ago will never buy Asus again!. I have moderate-to-advanced experience with computers, but have zero experience with kernel hacking. So, how can...
  7. Multiple BSOD failure

Multiple BSOD failure: Recently my laptop is crashing a lot and showing different BSOD messages: Driver overan Stack buffer It started to appear after the last graphic driver update yesterday System service exception Frequently System thread exception not handled Quite often IRQL not less or...
  8. Bluescreen for over a year!

Bluescreen for over a year!: Windows Version Number: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.900) Hello! I have some problems with my PC and no one seems to know how to fix it my suspicion is the graphics card but I'm really not sure. So basically I have been getting bluescreens for over a whole year and I've...
  9. Bluescreen for over a year!

in Windows 10 Support
    Bluescreen for over a year!: Windows Version Number: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.900) Hello! I have some problems with my PC and no one seems to know how to fix it my suspicion is the graphics card but I'm really not sure. So basically I have been getting bluescreens for over a whole year and I've...
  10. Refresher course

in Windows 10 Customization
    Refresher course: Using Corel Draw Graphics Suite 6 I have a facial portrait that I want to use. I can't remember how to use or where to find a Transparency tool, take photo and bezier it to still have photo and able to see what's behind a different background? I've been away too long since...