Windows 10: Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year

Discus and support Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For all these years that I have built at least 50 PC's & OC'ed for self, friends and family members and never heard of the PSU brand (Inland) that you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Etetherin, Jan 7, 2016.

1. topgundcp Win User

Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year

For all these years that I have built at least 50 PC's & OC'ed for self, friends and family members and never heard of the PSU brand (Inland) that you posted. FYI, PSU is a vital component in your PC, you need to have a good, clean power source for it to run properly. Some of the brand name PSU such as: Antec, CoolMax, Thermaltake, Corsair etc... should be used. BTW, I don't listen to those sale people from the store, some of them are good but most of them just know enough to be dangerous.

From the problems that you described, I am inclined to think it is the PSU which produces fluctuating power that can do damage to HD/SSD. I have 2 HD's in my PC and they are about 8 year old and still running perfect. Besides the heat issue with HD which is the no. 1 problem to cause failure. I use an ANTEC case which has Fans blowing directly to all the HD's to keep the temp in range (42 C and under). Use: CrystalDiskInfo6_3_2.zip - CrystalDiskInfo to monitor the temp as shown in the screen shot. In my PC, the temp is around 30C and barely warm if you touch them:

Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 12, 2016
  2. Etetherin Win User

Alright ill look into buying a coolmax, or other mentioned one. :/ this sucks.
    What would you recommend I look for specifically. I know the name brands you said. But I mean like power rails and wattage wise. Psu selection is one of the scariest things ypu have to do because its like the only part that you need actual knowledge to know what to buy.
    Video card you just buy what you'll use, motherboard buy one that's durable and if you OC then buy one thatd more durable. CPU buy one that is fast and durable. PSU you need to know how much power you need and what rails and if its durable and on and on.

Very scary

Etetherin, Jan 12, 2016
  3. Geneo Win User
    If you are doing RAID you must be using the Intel supplied SATA ports so should be using IRST for it. The black drives should work well in it.

Marvel controller is crap. Avoid using the Marvel ports if you can.

I think your problem, as others have already mentioned, is hardware - either heat or PSU. The PSU is not the best I estimate, but I would guess your issue is probably due to prolonged high temperature. You need airflow over the hard drives.

Inland is the Microcenter house brand so who knows who made it and the quality. Microcenter doesn't have a good selection of PSU, I would shop elsewhere. Seasonic, Corsair (most), Rosewill are good bets. But I would think if it were a PSU problem, it would kill it sooner than later.

Rule out temperature first. They should be running run 45c or lower, mostly under 40c.

Geneo, Jan 12, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Personally I use Antec 850W, Antec 750W and a Coolmax 750W for my 3 PC's but you can choose in between 700-800W. Corsair and Seasonic are also good.
    Here's a good, well explained article about things you need to know.
    How to pick the best PC power supply | PCWorld
    Also, go to Amazon to search and read the reviews.

topgundcp, Jan 12, 2016
  5. Etetherin Win User
    ok I will install crystal disk the next time I get the chance, and post my results.

So it seems that the first likely thing it could be (since heat is unlikely) is psu?

I'll start looking into buying a new one. I'm strapped for money so It wont happen for a while, I will leave this thread open for any other ideas people may have. And I guess when I replace my psu If they stop failing, then it was indeed that
    Also thank you for the guide that's very helpful.

Etetherin, Jan 13, 2016
  6. Etetherin Win User
    I forgot to come back! Thank you everyone for your help. I bought a new PSU and haven't had any trouble with the drives since.

Etetherin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple Hardrive failure over the course of a year - Similar Threads - Multiple Hardrive failure

2. Constant BSODS over the past year with multiple games, and several different error messages.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant BSODS over the past year with multiple games, and several different error messages.: I've tried running memtest for hours on end, using different RAM, reformatting my PC, updating my drivers and uninstalling old unused ones, and I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why I'm bluescreening. It's not due to me running games my PC can't handle as it's crashed on...
  3. Constant BSODS over the past year with multiple games, and several different error messages.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant BSODS over the past year with multiple games, and several different error messages.: I've tried running memtest for hours on end, using different RAM, reformatting my PC, updating my drivers and uninstalling old unused ones, and I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why I'm bluescreening. It's not due to me running games my PC can't handle as it's crashed on...
  4. Multiple Process failures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Process failures: Hello...I've got a situation where pretty much everything is crashing as I open it. Some of them are 3rd party CPU Temp, Razer Synapse, but Windows Shell Common Dll crashes when open the sound Sound box, System Protection Settings crashes when I try to access System restore,...
  5. Multiple Process failures

Multiple Process failures: Hello...I've got a situation where pretty much everything is crashing as I open it. Some of them are 3rd party CPU Temp, Razer Synapse, but Windows Shell Common Dll crashes when open the sound Sound box, System Protection Settings crashes when I try to access System restore,...
  6. Multiple BSOD for many years

Multiple BSOD for many years: OK. That's it! Enough is enough! I have an Asus laptop that is plagued with BSODs almost since I bought it a little over 3 years ago will never buy Asus again!. I have moderate-to-advanced experience with computers, but have zero experience with kernel hacking. So, how can...
  7. Multiple BSOD failure

Multiple BSOD failure: Recently my laptop is crashing a lot and showing different BSOD messages: Driver overan Stack buffer It started to appear after the last graphic driver update yesterday System service exception Frequently System thread exception not handled Quite often IRQL not less or...
  8. Bluescreen for over a year!

Bluescreen for over a year!: Windows Version Number: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.900) Hello! I have some problems with my PC and no one seems to know how to fix it my suspicion is the graphics card but I'm really not sure. So basically I have been getting bluescreens for over a whole year and I've...
  9. Bluescreen for over a year!

in Windows 10 Support
    Bluescreen for over a year!: Windows Version Number: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.900) Hello! I have some problems with my PC and no one seems to know how to fix it my suspicion is the graphics card but I'm really not sure. So basically I have been getting bluescreens for over a whole year and I've...
  10. Refresher course

in Windows 10 Customization
    Refresher course: Using Corel Draw Graphics Suite 6 I have a facial portrait that I want to use. I can't remember how to use or where to find a Transparency tool, take photo and bezier it to still have photo and able to see what's behind a different background? I've been away too long since...