Windows 10: Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI

Discus and support Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, im quite sure this might be a fairly simple one, but a little scared to change whats active and whats not My system is win 10 pro with GPT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by horze, Jan 5, 2021.

1. horze Win User

Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI

Hi guys, im quite sure this might be a fairly simple one, but a little scared to change whats active and whats not

My system is win 10 pro with GPT drives and only 1 OS.

In my UEFI i have 2 windows boot manager pointing to the same phsyical hard drive. Wondering if its possible to remove it, i believe it might something set wrong with my active drives?

Please see attached image of drive config
    Please note M and G partitions are both just storage partitions with no OS on them.
    Thankyou in advance

Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI [​IMG]

:)

horze, Jan 5, 2021
  2. Kupuna Win User

Many Confusing Instances of Windows Boot Manager.

My PC is performing normally, but when I look at the bios boot page, I am very confused.

My bios Boot section shows multiple instances of Windows Boot Manager. The actual hardware is two SSD's one older data hard drive, a CD drive and a desktop backup hard drive. The Boot SSD is labeled P3 in the photo. The second SSD (P2) is just showing in the bottom listing and in the third listing up from the bottom. The DVD is P5. The data hard drive is called out by its amount used (476694... )in three locations, and the backup desktop drive (Seagate) in 2 entries. I understand that each of these entries drops down to allow making a different sequence of boot activities, but why so many?

Why do I have this crazy quilt of "options" in my bios boot section? Why are they in this particular sequence? Why are some repeated? Why does the Seagate have listings with and without "UEFI (NTFS)? Why do some listings show the words "Windows Boot Manager" and others do not? And, to complete my display of ignorance: I figure that the Boot Manager manages the boot*Huh, but do I need these multiple listings? I can see booting from a DVD, but the other drives are not bootable.
    Thanks for trying to set me on the road to understanding.

Kupuna, Jan 5, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Multiple Boot Managers and/or active partitions error

I don't know what you did to fix previously but with the commands above should rebuild the the partition unless the partition itself is corrupted preventing you to run those commands.
    Let's try another way:

1. Download the Macrium Rescue disk: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
    2. Using a USB stick to create a bootable USB with: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    3. Boot up the PC with UEFI Mode and follow the screen shots to rebuild the EFI System partition.
      NOTE: The title must show: ..... Win PE 10 [UEFI] for step 3 to work since your Windows installed with GPT disk.
    IMPORTANT: make sure you use the correct disk in step 2, in your case is disk 1

topgundcp, Jan 5, 2021
  4. Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI

Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI

1. Multiple instance of Windows boot manager in UEFI - Similar Threads - Multiple instance boot

2. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  3. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  4. Multiple instances of the same credential in Credential Manager?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Multiple instances of the same credential in Credential Manager?: Hi, in a related but different issue from my previous question about repeated request for credentials in Outlook/Teams see Post Update to Windows 10 20H2 -> Persistent need to reauthenticate I took a look at Credential Manager. I found 4 and 5 instances of the same...
  5. Multiple instances of apps running in Task Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple instances of apps running in Task Manager: Its sometimes says 10+ of the same program is running when just one is open. [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances-of-apps-running-in-task-manager/761e16d9-907b-4af4-8a11-901f30de0188
  6. uefi boot and boot manager issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    uefi boot and boot manager issues: i am having issues after imaging windows 10 through UEFI windows boot manager is the first boot device and i need it to include the nic. we image remotely and don't want to have to physically touch the bios every time we image...
  7. UEFI: Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI: Windows Boot Manager: Hello guys first-timer here. I was wondering if I messed up something in my computer. Sorry for a bit lengthy post. What happened was, a few days ago I changed my power supply into a new one and decided to clean case along the way. I had disconnected everything and...
  8. Multiple instances of application visible in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple instances of application visible in task manager: Hi All, Could someone please let me know how to get rid of duplicate process in windows 10? For ex. if i am opening Google chrome, number of process visible in task manager is abnormal and is using huge memory of the system. How can we purge those unwanted applications?...
  9. Many Confusing Instances of Windows Boot Manager.

in Windows 10 Support
    Many Confusing Instances of Windows Boot Manager.: My PC is performing normally, but when I look at the bios boot page, I am very confused. [IMG] My bios Boot section shows multiple instances of Windows Boot Manager. The actual hardware is two SSD's one older data hard drive, a CD drive and a desktop backup hard drive. The...
  10. UEFI or Windows Boot Manager?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI or Windows Boot Manager?: I apologize in advance if I sound dense, but I'm seeing something in the BIOS that doesn't make sense to me. I have three different SSDs at this time, one each for 7, 10 upgrade, and 10 clean (the last is a slow work in progress). All of the SSDs are GPT* and SATA is set...