Windows 10: Multiple instances of a chat program

Discus and support Multiple instances of a chat program in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sebastian42, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Multiple instances of a chat program

Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ?

:)

Sebastian42, Jul 15, 2021
  2. chezy525 Win User

Windows 10 Virtual Desktops and multiple program instances

I'm having an issue with the new Virtual Desktops in Windows 10. For example:

1. From Desktop 1, double click the file "test1.xlsx". This will open the file in a new instance of Excel (specifically 2010, in my case), on Desktop 1.
    2. From Desktop 2, double click the file "test2.xlsx". This will change the desktop to Desktop 1 and open the file in the same instance of Excel as from step 1.

I've found this to also be true with Notepad++, so my guess is that this behavior occurs with any program that opens multiple files in a single instance. However, these are the two programs I generally use in this way.

I've found a number of ways to disable DDE for Excel, but this isn't what I want to do. If I open a second file from a desktop that already contains an instance of the program that should open it, I want to use that instance.

I've found manual ways of opening a second instance, moving it to the correct desktop, and then opening the file in that instance. However, the process is slightly different for each program and overall is, at best, clunky. Not to mention that now a third file will open in the most recently used instance, and not necessarily the correct one, requiring the whole process to start over again.

chezy525, Jul 15, 2021
  3. How to prevent multiple instances of an application

the only time that works is when the program itself is written to prohibit multiple instances

if the programmer didn't do that with this program

then there really isn't any method to preventing multiple instances

Locutus deBorg, Jul 15, 2021
  4. SteveMann Win User

Multiple instances of a chat program

Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?

I frequently open multiple instances of the Arduino IDE program. The first opens to the same size as the window was when I closed it. Subsequent opens of new instances of the program (it's not unusual for me to have three or four instances running at the same time) open in a much smaller window. Is this normal?

(Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362)

SteveMann, Jul 15, 2021
Thema:

Multiple instances of a chat program

1. Multiple instances of a chat program - Similar Threads - Multiple instances chat

2. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  3. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  4. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  6. Multiple Instances

Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  7. Multiple instances of a chat program

Multiple instances of a chat program: Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ? 182603
  8. multiple instances of a chat program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    multiple instances of a chat program: Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ?...
  9. Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?: I frequently open multiple instances of the Arduino IDE program. The first opens to the same size as the window was when I closed it. Subsequent opens of new instances of the program (it's not unusual for me to have three or four instances running at the same time) open in a...
  10. Windows 10 Launching Multiple Instances of Programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Launching Multiple Instances of Programs: There must be a setting I need to adjust - sometimes when my mouse gets near the bottom of the screen where the Taskbar is (not sure that's the name of it) multiple instances of the same program will launch. It's very distracting while trying to work. I'm on a laptop -...