Windows 10: Multiple instances of Desktop, Pictures, OneDrive, etc.?

Discus and support Multiple instances of Desktop, Pictures, OneDrive, etc.? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Suddenly, I have three of almost everything! I am not using OneDrive, and each instance points to the same location, so nothing seems to have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tdigits, Sep 14, 2021.

1. tdigits Win User

Multiple instances of Desktop, Pictures, OneDrive, etc.?

Suddenly, I have three of almost everything! I am not using OneDrive, and each instance points to the same location, so nothing seems to have been copied - incidentally, I am out of drive space but not sure if that's related or not.

:)

tdigits, Sep 14, 2021
  2. MarvFre Win User

Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps)

Hello Nikhar,

You wrote:

"I understand that you want a new instance of application to open when you access the application in Multiple Desktops. However, certain applications only allow single instance, that is the reason the application gets
    moved between the Multiple Desktops."

That's not quite true. I don't seem to have been fully understood. I correct your remarks:

I do NOT want a new instance of an application to open when I open it in another desktop. That is NOT my wish. Because I know that some applications do not allow this. I accept that.

"that is the reason the application gets moved between the multiple desktops." This is not happening! The applications do NOT move between the multiple desktops!

I would like the functionality described in point 2 to exist.

"Hence, I suggest you to provide your valuable feedback and ideas in our Feedback
    Hub
    , where our developers can look into the requests and constantly improve the features of Windows."

Thanks for this advice!

MarvFre, Sep 14, 2021
  3. chezy525 Win User
    Windows 10 Virtual Desktops and multiple program instances

I'm having an issue with the new Virtual Desktops in Windows 10. For example:

1. From Desktop 1, double click the file "test1.xlsx". This will open the file in a new instance of Excel (specifically 2010, in my case), on Desktop 1.
    2. From Desktop 2, double click the file "test2.xlsx". This will change the desktop to Desktop 1 and open the file in the same instance of Excel as from step 1.

I've found this to also be true with Notepad++, so my guess is that this behavior occurs with any program that opens multiple files in a single instance. However, these are the two programs I generally use in this way.

I've found a number of ways to disable DDE for Excel, but this isn't what I want to do. If I open a second file from a desktop that already contains an instance of the program that should open it, I want to use that instance.

I've found manual ways of opening a second instance, moving it to the correct desktop, and then opening the file in that instance. However, the process is slightly different for each program and overall is, at best, clunky. Not to mention that now a third file will open in the most recently used instance, and not necessarily the correct one, requiring the whole process to start over again.

chezy525, Sep 14, 2021
  4. Nan_J Win User

OneDrive "only" folders on Windows Phone 8 vs OneDrive online.

Hi tribexx,

Thanks for following up with detailed steps.

After the "Saved pictures from SkyDrive" gets generated, you can find them from the OneDrive.

• Launch OneDrive from app list
    • You will find the "Saved Pictures" from "files pivot" (root level) and/or under "Pictures" folder
    • Tap into "Saved Pictures" from OneDrive app, you can (multiple) delete files or perform other operations from there. For multiple delete
      • Tap on "select"
      • Multiple selection of files you want to delete
      • Tap on delete
      • And confirm

You can also try to use the "search" from app bar (at the bottom of screen) to search "Saved pictures". If you still cannot find the "Saved pictures", please let us know.

Thank you.

Nan_J, Sep 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Multiple instances of Desktop, Pictures, OneDrive, etc.? - Similar Threads - Multiple instances Desktop

2. Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures: These were the only files in my one drive and I know it syncs automatically. When this happens I know they all go to there file names by default. If one of these files had malware it would be a risk if it was ran or opened. Does windows open or run any file while setting up...
  3. Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures: These were the only files in my one drive and I know it syncs automatically. When this happens I know they all go to there file names by default. If one of these files had malware it would be a risk if it was ran or opened. Does windows open or run any file while setting up...
  4. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  5. Multiple Instances

Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  6. Multiple instances of Documents, Pictures, etc. in Libraries - How to remove the "extras"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple instances of Documents, Pictures, etc. in Libraries - How to remove the "extras"?: This seems to be a weird problem. The screen shot should help. [ATTACH] In File explorer we have a hierarchy of file and folders displayed, as usual. However, for Pictures, Music, and Documents we see duplicate items listed when the expand arrow is clicked. The contents...
  7. Multiple desktops due to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple desktops due to OneDrive: Hello there! I have got 3 different Desktop Folders. One from my personal OneDrive account, one from my schools one drive account and one thats just on my harddrive. Is there any way that i can remove the two OneDrive-Desktops? I also have a lot of files duplicated on 2 of...
  8. MULTIPLE ONEDRIVE ACCOUNTS AND PICTURE VIEW

MULTIPLE ONEDRIVE ACCOUNTS AND PICTURE VIEW: Dear Madam or Sir, My family have 2 Onedrive accounts/users where each individual user keep their pictures stored. All pictures are available on the Onedrive accounts. Each user has shared its onedrive picture folder with the other family user. The picture folders are in...
  9. Multiple Documents, Pictures and Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Documents, Pictures and Desktop Folder: I'm using Win10. In My Documents I've found I have 2 of each of Pictures, Documents and Desktop folders. Although one of the Desktop folders is empty the other Documents and Pictures folders each have items in them. I think that they are local storage and OneDrive storage...
  10. multiple, movable pictures on desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    multiple, movable pictures on desktop?: I was wondering if there was a way to take multiple small pictures (say, 100x40 pixels) and line them up on my desktop and be able to move them in the same manner you can move your desktop icons. I would like to setup a interactive fantasy football system on my desktop with...