Windows 10: Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50%

Discus and support Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50% in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The system OS: Windows 10 version 1909 PC: HP Envy Laptop CPU: Intel Core i7 5500U @ 2.40GHz RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Polemic, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Polemic Win User

Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50%

The system

PC: HP Envy Laptop
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5500U @ 2.40GHz
    RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
    GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce 940M (HP)
    Running the paid versions of Avast and Malwarebytes. Both up-to-date.

The problems

1: Recently, when starting the system, Avast has identified it as a new network, when in fact the laptop has always been connected to my Amplifi router, which connects to my ISP's ONT. I've told Avast it is in fact a private network, it's done a scan, found the usual stuff connected, said it's okay and I've shrugged and got to work.

Then today I thought I'd check my network settings, and lo and behold, I see this:

Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50% [​IMG]

2: Then, also recently (but I can't be sure it was around the same time the problem described in (1) started) the DNS Client service hosts has begun using over 50% of CPU capacity for long (up to an hour) periods, bringing everything to a grinding halt. I've researched threads on here and elsewhere on how to try to fix that, but none have mentioned the first problem as also occurring.

The questions

1. Is this coincidence or are the issues related?
    2. Do I try the fixes suggested for the second problem and hope the first will go away?
    3. Or is there a fix which will deal with both?
    4. And if not, how do I also prevent multiple connectors spawning without my doing anything to create them?!

TIA

:)

Polemic, Jan 21, 2020
  2. Polemic Win User

The system

PC: HP Envy Laptop
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5500U @ 2.40GHz
    RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
    GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce 940M (HP)
    Running the paid versions of Avast and Malwarebytes. Both up-to-date.

The problems

1: Recently, when starting the system, Avast has identified it as a new network, when in fact the laptop has always been connected to my Amplifi router, which connects to my ISP's ONT. I've told Avast it is in fact a private network, it's done a scan, found the usual stuff connected, said it's okay and I've shrugged and got to work.

Then today I thought I'd check my network settings, and lo and behold, I see this:

Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50% [​IMG]

2: Then, also recently (but I can't be sure it was around the same time the problem described in (1) started) the DNS Client service hosts has begun using over 50% of CPU capacity for long (up to an hour) periods, bringing everything to a grinding halt. I've researched threads on here and elsewhere on how to try to fix that, but none have mentioned the first problem as also occurring.

The questions

1. Is this coincidence or are the issues related?
    2. Do I try the fixes suggested for the second problem and hope the first will go away?
    3. Or is there a fix which will deal with both?
    4. And if not, how do I also prevent multiple connectors spawning without my doing anything to create them?!

TIA

Polemic, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Amit_Sun Win User
    Create Ethernet adapter shortcut on the desktop.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create the Ethernet shortcut on your desktop, you can follow the step provided below.

Step: Create Ethernet shortcut on the desktop.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. You will see all your network adapter.
    4. Right click on your desired adapter and click on
      Create Shortcut and allow the prompt.
    5. Or you can drag and drop the network adapter on the desktop that will create a shortcut too.
    6. You can now right on the shortcut on your desktop and disable and enable internet connection.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jan 21, 2020
  4. rez001 Win User

IP configuration not valid - interference from ethernet adapter?

Solution 1: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1or Windows 10

Step 1:

Go to Device Manager → Network adapters.
    Step 2:

Expand it (Network adapters).

Step 3:

Select your network adapter

Step 4:

Right click on your wireless network adapter or Ethernet adapter and then tap “Update Driver Software”.
    (in this case your network adopter is Ethernet adopter so tap your Ethernet adapter)
    Step 5:

Now on a new window you will need to click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.

Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50% install-driver-software.png

Step 6:

Then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50% pick-comptible-driver-software.png

Step 7:

Now choose the “Manufacturer’s drivers” from the list of two and then click next.

Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50% select-network-adapter.png

Step 8:

After the completion of the process just restart your PC and check if the problem is solved or not. If not, goto solution 2.

Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50% Limited-wi-fi-connection-solved.png

Solution 2: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1,windows10

Step 1:

Open command prompt.
    Step 2:

Just go on hitting the enter after typing the each command.
    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    Step 3:

Now to check if the settings are disabled type:
    netsh int tcp show global
    then hit enter.
    Step 4:

Now the thing left is just rebooting your system and just check if the problem is solved or not and just give feedback.*chuckle*Thumbs

rez001, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Multiple instances of ethernet adapter created / DNS client using >50% - Similar Threads - Multiple instances ethernet

2. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  3. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  4. dns client site

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dns client site: When i go to a certain site my computer comes up with dns_probe_finished_nxdomain. the wierd thing is i shut off automatic restart of the dns client in the services via the registery and the site worked. It's just one site. should i leave dns client disabled because...
  5. dns client site

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dns client site: When i go to a certain site my computer comes up with dns_probe_finished_nxdomain. the wierd thing is i shut off automatic restart of the dns client in the services via the registery and the site worked. It's just one site. should i leave dns client disabled because...
  6. DNS Client error

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS Client error: Been having trouble getting into calls recently. Checked event viewer and it says "Name resolution for the *** timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." Censored part changes between wpad and some other applications that are running at the time. Ran sfc...
  7. DNS Client

DNS Client: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date: 16-04-2020 15:47:58 Event ID: 8020 Task Category: 1028 Level: Warning Keywords: User: NETWORK SERVICE Computer: Hostname Description: The system failed...
  8. Create Ethernet adapter shortcut on the desktop.

Create Ethernet adapter shortcut on the desktop.: your article on how to put an ethernet shortcut on the desktop to allow the ability to easily turn the web connection on and off was a beauty. Been trying for days to find out how to do it. ***Title Modified Original: not a question***...
  9. Multiple Ethernet Network Adapter at Network Adapter Settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Ethernet Network Adapter at Network Adapter Settings: Can any one just solve my below problem. I am having trouble with my Windows 10 network adapter problem. It shows multiple adapter in network adapter settings. Please see below screen shot. and Sometimes it doesn't shows any adapter at all. and i see at my wifi-router no...
  10. Chromecast - ethernet adapter - you can use 5GHZ wifi for clients

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chromecast - ethernet adapter - you can use 5GHZ wifi for clients: Hi there If you use Chromecast - great device too even if it is made by Google a drawback is that the wifi receiver in the Chromecast device is limited to the 2.4 GHZ band which can get severely congested at times (so slow performance). This little device is an Ethernet...