Windows 10: Multiple instances of Word appearing on one laptop - old bug ?

Discus and support Multiple instances of Word appearing on one laptop - old bug ? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I seem to recall this being a problem a year or so back, some bug that Microsoft needed to address. Anyhow, my Dell XPS 13 laptop loads 6 instances of... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by JWGroovin, Apr 14, 2020.

1. JWGroovin Win User

Multiple instances of Word appearing on one laptop - old bug ?

I seem to recall this being a problem a year or so back, some bug that Microsoft needed to address.

Anyhow, my Dell XPS 13 laptop loads 6 instances of Word at startup. It appears all updates have been installed as of 4/14/2020. My guess it's one of the updates but curious if anyone else is seeing this too. Also, if there is a workaround. I've tried multiple reboots ensuring Word isn't up and running but it still happens every time...

My background picture also defaulted to one built into Personalization services instead of my custom pic. That is likely related.

Windows 10 1909 Build 183363.752

:)

JWGroovin, Apr 14, 2020
  2. JWGroovin Win User

I seem to recall this being a problem a year or so back, some bug that Microsoft needed to address.

Anyhow, my Dell XPS 13 laptop loads 6 instances of Word at startup. It appears all updates have been installed as of 4/14/2020. My guess it's one of the updates but curious if anyone else is seeing this too. Also, if there is a workaround. I've tried multiple reboots ensuring Word isn't up and running but it still happens every time...

My background picture also defaulted to one built into Personalization services instead of my custom pic. That is likely related.

Windows 10 1909 Build 183363.752

JWGroovin, May 25, 2020
  3. Multiple instances of Word on re-start

For the last few days when I START or RESTART in WIndows 10, multiple instances of WORD, several instances of EXCEL, and one instance of POWERPOINT start, and maybe OUTLOOK start unrequested, despite all individual apps being shut down before shutting down
    the laptop.

It is difficult to know how many WORD windows are being opened - at least eight - because if using the taskbar right-click and "Close all windows" more appear - possibly these are new ones or some of the first ones that were not deleted. Ending task in Task
    Manager eventually gets rid of all of them.

Windows Defender is on, McAfee comes with the ISP package, and I have also used two other antivirus scanners, non of which have detected any issues.

What is causing the unprompted launch of OFFICE apps??

alpha#victor, May 25, 2020
  4. RTarson Win User

Multiple instances of Word documents open

Well thatsreally not a good answer they should offer patches for office 2010. The thing is that the computer that are on the domain with version 1803 have no issues with the multiple word instances opening

RTarson, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Multiple instances of Word appearing on one laptop - old bug ? - Similar Threads - Multiple instances Word

2. BUG: Multiple instances of the same explorer.exe !!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BUG: Multiple instances of the same explorer.exe !!!: Hi there, I am a programmer and IT technician who has been using Windows since the early 90s CDs. I noticed that Windows 11 is experiencing new issues that have never occurred in Microsoft history!1. Open Task Manager2. Observe explorer.exe instance3. Open Explorer [GUI]4....
  3. BUG: Multiple instances of the same explorer.exe !!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BUG: Multiple instances of the same explorer.exe !!!: 1. Open Task Manager2. Observe explorer.exe instance3. Open Explorer [GUI]4. Another instance was created with the name of explorer.exe5. Close Explorer by clicking the X windows6. explorer.exe remains open7. Repeat steps above 8. Resulting into a phenomenal line of dozens or...
  4. Why is UAC asking multiple times for one instance?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is UAC asking multiple times for one instance?: Hi,I have ran into an issue where UAC asks for permission multiple times in one instance. What I mean is when executing an application, UAC will be prompted on my screen multiple times. However, even with selecting the "yes" option, some applications fail to start. I...
  5. Why is UAC asking multiple times for one instance?

Why is UAC asking multiple times for one instance?: Hi,I have ran into an issue where UAC asks for permission multiple times in one instance. What I mean is when executing an application, UAC will be prompted on my screen multiple times. However, even with selecting the "yes" option, some applications fail to start. I...
  6. Multiple Instances

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  7. Multiple Instances

Multiple Instances: Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? i dont have much ram so it slows down the speed of everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances/da352446-efc2-4272-a8f3-f81ae1359d75
  8. Multiple instances of Word on re-start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple instances of Word on re-start: For the last few days when I START or RESTART in WIndows 10, multiple instances of WORD, several instances of EXCEL, and one instance of POWERPOINT start, and maybe OUTLOOK start unrequested, despite all individual apps being shut down before shutting down the laptop. It is...
  9. Multiple instances of Amazon Fire TV Stick appear in Bluetooth & Other Devices; only one is...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple instances of Amazon Fire TV Stick appear in Bluetooth & Other Devices; only one is...: I have tediously deleted all the instances that are not connected. How do I prevent this from happening again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances-of-amazon-fire-tv-stick-appear/0d563aec-2175-479e-a24f-16545949812f
  10. Multiple IE - One Taskbar Instance

in Browsers and Email
    Multiple IE - One Taskbar Instance: The following screenshot is from a Win 7 machine. I had multiple tabs open in ie11 and had one crash. When it restarted itself, the taskbar only has one instance of the ie11 showing, but all tabs are still intact. Is there a way to do this in Win 10 on purpose? It would make...