Windows 10: Multiple Keys associated with MS Account?

Discus and support Multiple Keys associated with MS Account? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Regrettably, just because a device is listed, does not necessarily mean it is activated. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by imacken, Jan 12, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Multiple Keys associated with MS Account?

Regrettably, just because a device is listed, does not necessarily mean it is activated.

cereberus, Jan 13, 2017
  2. imacken Win User

Ok, so what is the point of them being stored and listed on the account?

imacken, Jan 13, 2017
  3. Superfly Win User
    Good point... *Wink

I had a bunch of VM's that I used for activation testing and forgot about on there... ended up just deleting the lot.

We are still figuring out exactly the best way to tackle digital licensing...

Superfly, Jan 13, 2017
  4. imacken Win User

I'm at a loss to understand why MS don't simply link a key to a MSA account and simply allow one installation like other software developers. Is it a money thing?

imacken, Jan 13, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why are you against MS making it easier to activate Windows? I now have more options to activate Windows 10 than any previous OS. With Windows 7 and Windows 8 there was only one way to activate it, that was with a valid product key. Now on all the computers in my house I don't need any product key to activate Windows when re-installing it. Or I can enter a product key. Or I can transfer a license from a device listed on my Microsoft Account.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2017
  6. imacken Win User
    Against MS making it easier? Why on earth do you say that? I am absolutely all for simplifying this whole cumbersome, confusing process that doesn't seem to have changed much for many years now.
    Not that it matters too much what I think, but I am suggesting the simplest form of activation, i.e. every key being linked to one install at any time for a particular user. Let's take the whole hardware thing out of the equation. That is how a lot of software licences work, i.e. activated for 1 install at a time.
    I am still missing something crucial here. You say re-installing is simpler now, but that wasn't really ever an issue. Not for me at least. All that was required was to input a key, then there was a check against the hardware, and bingo, everything was fine.
    My issue over the years, and in this thread, is about what happens with hardware changes and transferring to a new PC completely.
    I was under the impression that life in this respect had been made easier with Anniversary by associating keys with MSAs rather than hardware, but throughout this thread, that opinion has proven to be wrong. Keys are still locked to hardware.
    I am interested in your statement 'I can transfer a license from a device listed on my Microsoft Account'. That seems to suggest what I was thinking in the first place!
    I'm afraid, despite all you guys' best efforts, I remain totally confused! Honestly not trying to be awkward here.

imacken, Jan 13, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    And that is EXACTLY how product key activation still works with Windows 10 if you choose to enter a product key. Product key activation of Windows 10 works EXACTLY the same way it has for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 and probably versions of Windows prior to that, I just can't remember. So...let's say you purchase a retail license for Windows 10 which comes with a unique retail Windows 10 Product Key.

1. You start Winodws setup. One of the first things it asks you for is a product key. You enter your Windows 10 retail product key. That determines which version of Windows 10 is installed, Home or Pro, and you won't even be asked to choose.

2. Windows setup finishes. When connected to the internet, Windows 10 sends the Installation ID to Microsoft Activation servers. The Installation ID is a number that includes a bunch of different factors including the unique Product Key you entered, the version of Windows 10 installed and hardware information unique to the computer installed on.

3. If this was the first activation of that Installation ID, and your product key is recognized as a retail product key, then Microsoft Activation Servers will return the activation code to activate Windows 10. Just like before, with Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1.

4. Now, you re-install the same version of Windows 10 on the same computer entering the same retail product key. The resulting Installation ID will be the same as the first install. When connected to the internet, Windows sends it to Microsoft Activation Servers which recognize the Installation ID as being activated before and will send the activation code back to activate Windows. Just like in Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1

5. Now you change your motherboard. You have created a new computer. You install the same version of Windows 10 with the same product key - or leave the same version of Windows 10 installed that you had before. The Installation ID will be different. This gets sent to Microsoft Activation Servers. There is no match for this Installation ID, so the activation servers retrieves the product key from the Installation ID. Now, depending on how many times this product key has been used on different computers in a certain amount of time, one of two things will happen:

5a. If the limit for using the product key has not been reached, Microsoft Activation Servers will return the activation code and Windows 10 will activate. Just like before with Windows 7 or Windows 8. This additional use of the product key is recorded and the number of times the product key has been used is increased by 1.

5b. You hit the limit of the number of times the product key can be reused. Microsoft Activation Servers will return a code that tells Windows that the product key has been blocked from online activation. The user will then be prompted to call the Microsoft Activation phone number where you will have to manually enter the Installation ID. A computer voice will ask you how many computers you have installed with this copy of Windows. You answer 1. You get the activation code in return that you type in and Windows 10 activates. Just like with Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1.

Microsoft has not changed how activation with a product key works for Windows 10. What Microsoft has done is added digital license activation to Windows 10. But that only provides MORE options for the user to activate Windows 10 with. But they took nothing away from standard product key activation of Windows 10.

Now, instead of remembering a whole bunch of different product keys, and keeping track of which product key goes with which computer - I choose to just click the link at the bottom of the page that says "I don't have a product key" and let Windows retrieve the digital license for me and activate by itself. But, if I really want to enter a product key, I still can.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2017
  8. imacken Win User

Thanks again for your time in replying.
    I think we should forget about this discussion, as we seem to be at cross purposes.
    You have taken what I said out of context. I know how the activation has worked over the years - particularly in relation to re-installing and changing hardware, but that was/is not my point.
    My point is that I believed that the rules have changed in Anniversary regarding changing hardware and licensing activation. I was wrongly under the impression that MS had changed the rules to link a key to a MSA account rather than hardware. I was clearly wrong!
    I was saying in my previous post, that I would like to see MS adopt a similar approach as many other developers, i.e. attach the key to the user MSA and allow one install on one key. So, for example, one would de-activate on one device and re-activate the key on a new device linked via the user's MSA and registered key. Inputting a key would relate to a user and not hardware.
    But, that is not important as my opinion has no bearing on MS's activation policy, and I only mentioned it in passing!
    I repeat what I said in my previous post, I am interested in your statement 'I can transfer a license from a device listed on my Microsoft Account'. That seems to suggest what I was thinking in the first place! How is that done exactly? Other posts here suggest that devices can be deleted from the account and it makes no difference.

imacken, Jan 13, 2017
  9. What if you have more than one user on a device? Who's Microsoft ID do you tie it to? If said user passes away, does the DL go with them to their grave?

I like the way it is. Tie the DL to the device. Product keys are being phased out somewhat but are still relevant. The linking is just an added mechanism to aid in activation issues. It can be used to transfer your License but IMHO, that's not what it was originally conceived for. It's to aid in recovering activation after a major hardware change. Replacement of a failed motherboard for instance.
    I have multiple Digital Licences for each of my PC's. Home, Pro, and Education. As far as I know, the linking is only ever going to let me easily transfer one of them to another PC. The currently installed OS on that PC that is listed for that device under my Microsoft Account. That's my best guess. I have no interest in trying it to see if I can do it, and screw up my current DL's.

Also keep in mind, if your current install was done via an OEM embedded key (they now get a DL) it's technically not transferable anyway, not to a new PC, not in my opinion. I imagine people are going to try though.
    And also keep in mind, once you transfer to the new PC, you have to remove the old install from the other PC. It's a "transfer" of the DL.

alphanumeric, Jan 13, 2017
  10. Forgot to mention one big important fact about product keys. Anybody that did the free upgrade, or the upgrade to the Anniversary Update for that matter; and got a DL. They now have a generic key. Everybody running Home with a DL has the same key, and everybody with Pro has the same generic key. My Education installs that were each activated with a different retail key, now all have the same generic key and a DL after upgrading to the AU. Those keys are only ever good for entering on a PC that already has a DL. If it doesn't have a DL on the activation server it will not activate with those keys. The key you enter has to match your DL too. If your DL is for Home and you enter the Pro key, it won't activate.

11. imacken Win User
    I take your point, but that issue exists with a multitude of software. I guess it would be linked to the initial installer. In any case, if you're in the grave, I doubt if you will be worrying too much about your W10 licence!

Fair enough, it's all a matter of opinion. Personally, as someone who changes bits of hardware very often in the past, I've never liked the linkage to hardware. If I pay £120 for a Windows licence, I would like to use it on whatever my PC happens to be at any one time, rather than having to waste that cash and go and buy another each time I change my PC. But, as I say, it's all a matter of opinion!

imacken, Jan 13, 2017
  12. I do quite a lot of installs at times, different OS on a device. Enterprise some times etc. I get a lot of deadwood as far as devices listed under my Microsoft account. Every once in a while I go in and delete a bunch of devices. It has no bearing or affect on activation. I can also activate with a local account if I want. It's tied to the hardware not me.

13. Multiple Keys associated with MS Account?

My wife might care if the laptop I share with her becomes unactivated. *Wink Along with the 3 other PC's in the house.

That should be doable with a Full Retail purchase, even with a DL activation. I have no problem with those types of moves. And please don't get me wrong or think I'm accusing you of any wrong doing. I just think there are instances where this feature shouldn't be used or abused. Like moving the free upgrade from PC to PC to PC. I'm not saying that's what your doing, just that some will try.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...troubleshooter

Read the last link on the website above, "You recently made a significant hardware change".

and

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2017
  15. imacken Win User
    Thanks to you both for your help and patience!

imacken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple Keys associated with MS Account? - Similar Threads - Multiple Keys associated

2. Recover account information associated to a windows key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover account information associated to a windows key?: Hello, 6 months ago I bought a laptop for my girlfriend with Windows 11.Yesterday when she opened it, it asked for a BitLocker key which we never manually activated. We can't find the microsoft account associated with the laptop I'm sure we logged into a Microsoft account but...
  3. Recover account information associated to a windows key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover account information associated to a windows key?: Hello, 6 months ago I bought a laptop for my girlfriend with Windows 11.Yesterday when she opened it, it asked for a BitLocker key which we never manually activated. We can't find the microsoft account associated with the laptop I'm sure we logged into a Microsoft account but...
  4. Remove an email associated with my MS account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove an email associated with my MS account.: Somehow, in the distant past, both my wife's primary email address and my email address got associated with a single MS account. We would like to remove my wife's email from the MS account, but I can't find how to do it. When I am in my MS account profile...
  5. Remove an email associated with my MS account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove an email associated with my MS account.: Somehow, in the distant past, both my wife's primary email address and my email address got associated with a single MS account. We would like to remove my wife's email from the MS account, but I can't find how to do it. When I am in my MS account profile...
  6. Multiple computers and the same MS email associated - non-profit

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Multiple computers and the same MS email associated - non-profit: I run a non-profit that includes 15 computers all running MS Windows 10 Pro. As I set up the computers, I have associated each with my personal Microsoft account, since adding a MS account on computer set up seems to be required. All users, then, are linked to my account,...
  7. MS account and keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    MS account and keys: If I have Windows activated via my MS account, what will show if I use this command slmgr.vbs /dlv? submitted by /u/Vadim6996 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lyj5md/ms_account_and_keys/
  8. Switch which MS account that a local account is associated with

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Switch which MS account that a local account is associated with: My computer which I upgraded from Windows 7 and have upgraded piecemeal since has always used a local account. this account has all my software and registry settings for the hundreds of apps that I have for my work and hobbies. My daughter went to the MS store to download...
  9. Deleting/Removing the MS account associated with my PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting/Removing the MS account associated with my PC: I do not see an option to delete the MS account associated with my PC. Windows Settings --> Accounts --> Email and Accounts --> my email appears --> Manage Account which brings me to the Windows login page. Once logged in, where do I go to delete the account? All of the...
  10. Removing MS account association with Windwos 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Removing MS account association with Windwos 10: From what I understand and have read on the internet, once a Microsoft Account has been associated with Windows 10 it cannot be removed without a full reinstall of windows. The reason I ask is that I changed my Dad's laptop from S Mode to Windows 10 Pro and it required a MS...