Windows 10: Multiple Layer Update Failure

Discus and support Multiple Layer Update Failure in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My initial problem was the Midrosoft Solitaire Collection would not complete an update, reporting error code 0x8073CF9. This occured on one of my home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tony Nelson, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Multiple Layer Update Failure

My initial problem was the Midrosoft Solitaire Collection would not complete an update, reporting error code 0x8073CF9. This occured on one of my home computers, although it was Windows 10 Pro.

As I was trying to diagnose this problem it was suggested that I run SFC /SCANNOW

This fails with a message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

Solving this seems to involve doing a repair on Windows 10.

The repair failed. So I thought go back to a restore point and back up to a working version. I chose a restore point with a date two weeks before the problem occured. The restore failed, and it then said I had to return to the unrestored point. This failed as well. I tried an earlier restore point, and that failed as well.

So now I am down to an effective re-install of the OS. I did not really want to scrub everything as this computer has over 100 APPS installed some of which I will have great difficulty finding the registration key and install media. A couple of the software vendors are no longer in business, so I really want to retain the installed software.

I found my original windows 10 ISO that I used to upgrade this machine from windows 7.

When I try the upgrade repair it wants to download the current install media, which I approve. This install fails with a message " 0x8007001F - 0x20006 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error of REPLICATE_OC operation."

On the Mifrosoft site I traced down a windows repair utility that told me it had found the problem and fixed it. However the install continues to fail with the same message.

Up to November 6, 2018 this machine was running fine. If it was not for the installed software base I would scrub the machine and install Linux. I am SO frustrated with what should have been a simple repair to a failed update.

Does anyone have suggestions for what I could try to get this machine running again?

:)

Tony Nelson, Nov 11, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Multiple Layer Update Failure :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Mike-Th Win User
    Windows Update failure with error 0x80070002

Thanks Jessen,

I have tried all the steps suggested to no avail as I have been browsing all similar failures and tried the suggested solutions. The Windows Update service appears to work ok as all other updates are ok.

It may help if I someone could explain the meaning of the failure message.

When I tried the USB method it failed in a similar way suggesting that there was something wrong with the Windows Product Key. It may help that at sometime in the past the system was restored after a failure. On some forums I have seen comments that if the
    key is not perfect then the upgrade will not work.

Mike

Mike-Th, Nov 11, 2018
  4. btarunr Win User

Multiple Layer Update Failure

Intel E5200 Gets Updated, R0 Stepping Coming Up

Intel's Pentium Dual-Core E5200 processor is getting on course for a specifications update. The chip will feature in a new, improved Wolfdale-2M core, spec'd out as the R0 stepping, from its current M0 stepping. The new stepping is intended to add new instructions, power-management features, and bring about changes in the chip-package. A short list of known changes is as follows:
    • CPUID changed from 10677 to 1067A
    • Power State Indicator (PSI) support with Intel 4 series chipsets
    • New instructions - XSAVE and XRSTOR
    • New S-spec and MM numbers
    • New halide-free chip package
    Due to the changed CPUID, users may require BIOS updates to detect the CPU. According to the company, E5200 R0 should be out by April 13.

Source: TechConnect Magazine

btarunr, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

Multiple Layer Update Failure

1. Multiple Layer Update Failure - Similar Threads - Multiple Layer Update

2. Paint Layers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paint Layers: Hello.I would like to know what to do with the Layers I've created on Win 11 Paint?After many attempts I have managed to enter pictures into several layers but now don't know what to do with them. I've tried the instructions I found to merge them down and save them but all I...
  3. Why are there multiple layers on top of old settings in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are there multiple layers on top of old settings in windows 11?: Why is the old context menu buried under a "more options" button, INSIDE another context menu? Give me the option to show just the normal context menu from windows 10, most of which are just duplicated the the first menu with less options.So many settings are buried under...
  4. Why are there multiple layers on top of old settings in windows 11?

Why are there multiple layers on top of old settings in windows 11?: Why is the old context menu buried under a "more options" button, INSIDE another context menu? Give me the option to show just the normal context menu from windows 10, most of which are just duplicated the the first menu with less options.So many settings are buried under...
  5. Multiple Process failures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Process failures: Hello...I've got a situation where pretty much everything is crashing as I open it. Some of them are 3rd party CPU Temp, Razer Synapse, but Windows Shell Common Dll crashes when open the sound Sound box, System Protection Settings crashes when I try to access System restore,...
  6. Multiple Process failures

Multiple Process failures: Hello...I've got a situation where pretty much everything is crashing as I open it. Some of them are 3rd party CPU Temp, Razer Synapse, but Windows Shell Common Dll crashes when open the sound Sound box, System Protection Settings crashes when I try to access System restore,...
  7. Multiple Process failures

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Multiple BSOD failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSOD failure: Recently my laptop is crashing a lot and showing different BSOD messages: Driver overan Stack buffer It started to appear after the last graphic driver update yesterday System service exception Frequently System thread exception not handled Quite often IRQL not less or...
  9. Layers

Layers: Will a layer sistem be added to 2D projects too in the near future? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/layers/27f9f144-647f-4b2e-acf7-8d65b8fec9ab
  10. Multiple Failures for Windows 10 Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple Failures for Windows 10 Updates: I get multiple failure messages for different updates. Some are rated critical security updates/patches and others are cumulative. I have read this forum and followed troubleshooting steps both on here and on various websites. The results are the same: "some updates have...