Windows 10: Multiple Monitor issue with KVM

Discus and support Multiple Monitor issue with KVM in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; My config: I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I use the built in LCD screens on the laptops as the main screen for each. I also have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Fultonian, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Fultonian Win User

Multiple Monitor issue with KVM

My config:

I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I use the built in LCD screens on the laptops as the main screen for each.

I also have an external monitor that I share between the two laptops with a KVM switch. So, whichever computer is selected by the KVM has the external monitor as a secondary display.

I have happily used this configuration for months.

Recently, I upgraded the personal laptop from Win7 to Win10. The work laptop is still Win7.

Now, when I KVM from my personal laptop to the work laptop, everything that was being displayed on the external screen for the personal laptop is transferred to the main screen of the personal laptop. This means that when I switch back to the personal laptop I have to move the programs I want displayed on the external monitor back to the external monitor. It still works properly on the work laptop (Win7), so I am concluding that the issue is Win10. Is there some setting that I can change so that when I switch from the personal laptop to the work laptop it doesn't move the programs displayed on the extended monitor back to the main display?

Thanks for any help!

:)

Fultonian, Nov 2, 2015

2. Microsoft can you please, for the LOVE OF GOD, put in an option to disable automatic monitor detection in Windows 7 and up?

Have you thought about using a KVM switch in your setup?

That might alleviate the detection as the KVM switch should report to all your systems that there's a monitor there even if there isn't (switched away) at that particular moment.

Another option is to setup one computer as the "master" and then the other computers as headless and remote desktop into them.

I've done both types of setups over the years with multiple monitors and never had an issue.

IJustHelping, Nov 2, 2015
  3. fultonian Win User
    Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM

I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I use the built in LCD screens on the laptops as the main screen for each.

I also have an external monitor that I share between the two laptops with a KVM switch. So, whichever computer is selected by the KVM has the external monitor as a secondary display.

I have happily used this configuration for months.

Recently, I upgraded the personal laptop from Win7 to Win10. The work laptop is still Win7.

Now, when I switch the external monitor from my personal laptop to the work laptop, everything that was being displayed on the external screen for the personal laptop is transferred to the main screen of the personal laptop. This means that when I switch back
    to the personal laptop I have to move the programs I want displayed on the external monitor back to the external monitor. It still works properly on the work laptop (Win7), so I am concluding that the issue is Win10. Is there some setting that I can change
    so that when I switch from the personal laptop to the work laptop it doesn't move the programs displayed on the extended monitor back to the main display?

Thanks for any help!

fultonian, Nov 2, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

After the upgrade to Windows 10, the graphics driver was replaced by generic Microsoft driver that doesn't support the external port. Download latest graphics driver from manufacturer's site and install it. You can then select the external monitor either by your notebooks's key combination or from Window's universal Win+P.

spapakons, Nov 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Multiple Monitor issue with KVM - Similar Threads - Multiple Monitor issue

2. multiple monitor issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    multiple monitor issues: Hi allI ask the following with my hand on my heart , Please if you have not actually encountered the issue or actively resolved it , please do NOT answer . A pointless link is useless to me . I know its answered with the best of intentions but please rather don't do it . Even...
  3. multiple monitor issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    multiple monitor issues: Hi allI ask the following with my hand on my heart , Please if you have not actually encountered the issue or actively resolved it , please do NOT answer . A pointless link is useless to me . I know its answered with the best of intentions but please rather don't do it . Even...
  4. multiple monitor issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple Monitor Issues

Multiple Monitor Issues: I have a newer Dell laptop w/ 4x USB-C ports on it.I am attempting to use the following 3 monitor setup:Monitor 1: Dell "Teams" Monitor CenterMonitor 2: Dell 27" LeftMonitor 3: Dell 27" RightI am running a dedicated HDMI cable to each monitor using 3 of 4 USB-C ports on my...
  6. Multiple monitor issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple monitor issue: I recently had to replace my hard drive. I have been using multiple screens 2 and my desktop showed 3 monitors in 'display' I only had 2 & my office told me to delete one. did that, now nothing is coming up when I plug in my 2nd monitor. Can't get settings to stay up to...
  7. Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM: Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I use the built in LCD screens on the laptops as the main screen for each. I also have an external monitor that I share between the two laptops with a KVM switch. So, whichever...
  8. Multiple Monitor Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multiple Monitor Issue: I have 4 identical monitors connected (Dell E1913). 3 of the 4 have settings: Desktop Resolution = 1440 x 900 Active signal resolution = 1440 x 900 Refresh rate (Hz) = 60 Hz Bit depth = 8-bit Color format = RBS Color space = Standard dynamic range (SDR) and yet...the 4th...
  9. Multiple Monitor Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Monitor Issue: I have 4 identical monitors connected (Dell E1913). 3 of the 4 have settings: Desktop Resolution = 1440 x 900 Active signal resolution = 1440 x 900 Refresh rate (Hz) = 60 Hz Bit depth = 8-bit Color format = RBS Color space = Standard dynamic range (SDR) and yet...the 4th...
  10. Multiple Monitor Issues

Multiple Monitor Issues: I have a Dell laptop with 2 extra monitors. Everything has worked fine for a couple years and noticed about a month ago, I will be working along and everything looks up for about a second and my extra 2 displays go dark and anything on them has moved over to my laptop...