Windows 10: Multiple monitors and screen freezing/stuttering

Discus and support Multiple monitors and screen freezing/stuttering in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have started to use a second HDMI monitor with my Acer ES1521 laptop. Initially windows did not detect the second monitor, but when it eventually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OwenHarrison, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Multiple monitors and screen freezing/stuttering

I have started to use a second HDMI monitor with my Acer ES1521 laptop. Initially windows did not detect the second monitor, but when it eventually detected the monitor it downloaded a driver update, and the second monitor started. Since the update, the displays both show a constant stutter or microfreeze - this is apparent in all apps, videos, mouse cursor movements etc. It runs in cycles of about 1.2 sec: the display runs normally for 0.6sec, freezes for 0.3sec then runs fast for 0.3sec. This makes videos difficult to watch, but mouse commands are frustrating, the freeze making it look as though the cursor is on target, but the click happens somewhere else!

My laptop has an AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, running Windows 10 home 64-bit ver. 20H2.

It seems I was running on a generic graphics adapter driver MS until now - now I have an AMD Radeon R4 ver. 26.20.12028.2

Can anyone help please?

:)

OwenHarrison, Dec 1, 2020

2. Full screen with multiple monitors

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you need to get Windows 10 full screen / maximize to span multiple monitors rather than just one monitor.

Please answer the below question to assist you better.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Press Windows Key + P Keyboard Shortcut

1. Close all open programs.

2. Hold down the Windows key and press the
    P key on your keyboard.

3. Select one of the following display style options

o PC Screen Only

o Duplicate

o Extend

o Second Screen Only

Method 2: Display Settings Menu

• Close all open programs.
    • Right-click an empty area on your desktop, and click Display Settings.
    • Click the Multiple Displays drop-down list, and select
      Duplicate these displays
      or Extend these displays or
      Show only on 1
      or Show only on 2.

If you cannot see the second monitor(s) listed, click Detect. If this does not work, try to reconnect the cables on your monitor, restart the computer and repeat steps 1 and 2.
    • Click Identify to see which monitor is number 1 (Primary Monitor) and number 2 (Secondary Monitor).

• Click Keep Changes if you are prompted to save the changes made to the display settings.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Stuttering every 5 seconds with multiple monitors connected through docking station

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

You may answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. Do you experience the stutter issue on the PC when all the external monitors are unplugged?
    3. Do you get this stuttering issue if you enable the AMD graphics?
    4. Did you try changing the power plan on the PC to check the video output?

However, let us try these steps and check if that makes any difference.

Step 1: You may run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter on the PC and check if that helps.

• Press Windows key + letter I to open Settings, click on Update and Security, click on Troubleshoot.
    • Scroll down & Click Hardware & Devices > Click Run the Troubleshooter & follow on-screen directions. If you get any prompt to apply fix it, click Apply and proceed further.
    • Restart the computer after troubleshooting is completed.

Step 2: You may also update the display driver on the PC.

Follow the steps from this article to update the drivers.

Update drivers in Windows 10:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4028443/windows-10-update-drivers

Step 3: You may also want to keep the PC up to date.

Update Windows 10:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4027667/windows-10-update

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Dec 1, 2020
  4. SSheen21 Win User

Multiple monitors and screen freezing/stuttering

Win 10 - Dual monitor and Mouse/System? stutter

Hi,

I have install Win 10 on a new 2700x build with a XFX RX570 video card. I have an issue I am attempting to deal with.

1) The mouse stutters when I extend the desktop to my second monitor. Stutter = moving the mouse, it will freeze for a short time and then move. It does this constantly. Now I think this is system wide, but the mouse is just want caught my attention/focus.
    I see the same behaviour when typing - letter display in notepad stutters, and behaviour in playing video - play back stutters.

If do not extend the desktop to the second monitor the issue goes away. I have tried the latest drivers for the graphics card, mouse, adjusted settings for the mouse (before I saw the behaviour in the keyboard and video), USB power management, windows update
    and more I am forgetting.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

SSheen21, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Multiple monitors and screen freezing/stuttering

1. Multiple monitors and screen freezing/stuttering - Similar Threads - Multiple monitors screen

2. Monitors stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors stuttering: I have been dealing with this problem for probably almost a year now. Originally, I was using a Radeon card RX 6700XT, however after getting fed up with this problem, I decided to switch to Nvidia. I bought a 3070 and it worked just fine for a month. As of recently however,...
  3. Monitors stuttering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors stuttering: I have been dealing with this problem for probably almost a year now. Originally, I was using a Radeon card RX 6700XT, however after getting fed up with this problem, I decided to switch to Nvidia. I bought a 3070 and it worked just fine for a month. As of recently however,...
  4. Multiple monitor screen alignment

Multiple monitor screen alignment: Does anyone know how to align the screen space when using multiple monitors?How does one set the screens so that the mouse moves smoothly across the different screens?...
  5. Monitor stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor stuttering: everytime i turn on my computer the monitor screen stutter and after 4 to 7 seconds its gone and if i restart it doesn't stuttermy rig CPU: AMD A10 7700KRAM: 12 GBGPU: ASUS GT 730 2GBHDD: 300 GB...
  6. Monitor stuttering

Monitor stuttering: everytime i turn on my computer the monitor screen stutter and after 4 to 7 seconds its gone and if i restart it doesn't stuttermy rig CPU: AMD A10 7700KRAM: 12 GBGPU: ASUS GT 730 2GBHDD: 300 GB...
  7. Monitor stuttering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Monitor Stutter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Stutter: I have a Razer Blade 15 Laptop connected to a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2, connected to all my peripherals and my monitor. I have no issues with my USB devices; however, I have had some with my monitor. Occasionally it loses signal and sometimes does not even reconnect....
  9. Is the stuttering on multiple monitors with different refresh rates fixed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is the stuttering on multiple monitors with different refresh rates fixed?: Hi so i am still running Windows 7 which has to stay my main OS until this issue example 1 / example 2 is fixed. Unfortunately i have to run Windows 10 for my VR setup so i will have to install it. Do i have to install it as dual-boot or is this issue finally fixed :/ ?...
  10. Stutter on multiple monitor setup with different refresh rates.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stutter on multiple monitor setup with different refresh rates.: It's been years since Windows 10 released and Microsoft still has not addressed this issue that plagues multiple monitor setups with different refresh rates. For those not aware of the issue, Windows 10 forces vsync on all monitors if any application needs hardware...