Windows 10: Multiple monitors and the two externals are sized wrong

Discus and support Multiple monitors and the two externals are sized wrong in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have three monitors set up. My Dell laptop running Win 10 with a 17-inch monitor and two identical Acer 24s. Pretty happy with the setup other than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GarrettStagg, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Multiple monitors and the two externals are sized wrong

I have three monitors set up. My Dell laptop running Win 10 with a 17-inch monitor and two identical Acer 24s. Pretty happy with the setup other than the following problem.The problem is in the multiple Monitor display settings the picture of the two external monitors are smaller than my laptop when they are actually larger. This makes moving windows from screen to screen and the mouse movements well let's just say not user-friendly. Before someone chimes in and says change the resolution like the other people that asked questions my laptop has automatically selected the recommended highes

:)

GarrettStagg, Sep 15, 2021
  2. Reymichael Ros, Sep 15, 2021
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Sep 15, 2021
  4. Multiple monitors and the two externals are sized wrong

Ongoing Resolution Issues With Multiple Monitors

Hello,

I am looking for help, as I have been having some resolution issues with my extended monitors for quite some time. There are a large number of problems that range from BSODing shortly after re-connecting my docked monitors on a regular basis to having constant
    annoyances with sizes on screen. I have tried and searched for hours and attempted every applicable resolution, but I haven't found a correct solution.

Problems

• Refer to this gallery for images citing the specific resolution issues (apologies for the compressed/poor quality): Resolution Issues
    • BSOD after re-connecting my laptop to either docks (takes about 15-20 minutes and gives multiple error messages)
    • Very inconsistent font sizes and sizes associated with Windows and file explorer
    • Applications, both DPI-aware and non-DPI aware, have scaling issues

Things I have tried:

• Updated drivers, BIOS, firmware, software, etc.
    • Ran the various Windows commands to check for errors (sfc /scannow, dism, etc.)
    • Swapped wires and re-seated connections
    • Adjusted refresh rate on external monitors to 59 and 60 hz
    • Adjusted resolution on primary monitor to 1920x1080 to match both external monitors (while this is an undesirable solution, it did help some problems and helped address many of the sizing problems, especially with file explorer)
    • Used custom scaling instead of standard resolutions
    • Installed Samsung drivers for monitors
    • Reset the monitors to default settings
    • As an aside, the resolution problems disappear entirely on the external monitors if I set them to mirror the primary monitor. However, as soon as I extend the display, the resolution problems appear. I do not want to mirror my monitors,
      but I don't understand why a mirror would correct the problems.

Hardware/Specs:

• Dell XPS 15 9550 Laptop
    • Primary Monitor: 3840x2160 (also 1920x1080)
    • Two Secondary External Monitors: Samsung S27E510 (1920x1080)
    • OS: Windows 10 Version 1607 - I have had the same problems with multiple builds. I also had the same problems on Version 1511.
    • Dock 1: USB-C hub to allow for a second HDMI external monitor, in addition to the other secondary HDMI external monitor, which is connected directly to the laptop
    • Dock 2: Thunderbolt TB-15 (this was installed a few months after using the USB-C hub, but did not change any of the issues)
    • Video Card/Drivers: Intel HD 530 (Dell Firmware - 20.19.15.4483) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (Driver - 21.21.13.757) - the NVIDIA driver was disabled, which helped improve some of the problems, but not all of them.

S_Johnson88, Sep 15, 2021
Thema:

Multiple monitors and the two externals are sized wrong

1. Multiple monitors and the two externals are sized wrong - Similar Threads - Multiple monitors externals

2. trying to connect two external monitors...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    trying to connect two external monitors...: hello!I have this laptop Best Buy: HP 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop Intel Core i3 8GB Memory 256GB SSD Natural Silver 15-dy2702dx, and I work from home. I am trying to connect two external monitors to said laptop via HDMI and be able to use them to display different things....
  3. trying to connect two external monitors...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    trying to connect two external monitors...: hello!I have this laptop Best Buy: HP 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop Intel Core i3 8GB Memory 256GB SSD Natural Silver 15-dy2702dx, and I work from home. I am trying to connect two external monitors to said laptop via HDMI and be able to use them to display different things....
  4. trying to connect two external monitors...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cannot Connect Multiple External Monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot Connect Multiple External Monitors: For a long time, I just had one external monitor connected to my Windows 10 laptop. When I got a second external monitor, my PC was not detecting it. I could not see it in the settings. All the monitor was doing was duplicating what was happening on my first external monitor....
  6. Windows Sizes When Using External Monitor

Windows Sizes When Using External Monitor: Hey Gang, I am new to Windows. I came from Apple. Last time I use Windows was Windows Vista. My question is. I have a Dell Laptop and Dell External Monitor. Is it possible for Windows to remember your window sizes when switching from laptop display to external display....
  7. Two external monitors on one laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two external monitors on one laptop: Hi all! I am using my laptop for work and have been using an external monitor with it as well. I would like to add an additional. I have two ports, a VGA and an HDMI but windows will only allow me to output to one. Is there any way for me to "output" one screen but have my...
  8. MS Office window size on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MS Office window size on external monitor: When I view any MS Office app file on my second monitor, the size of the ribbon, text, symbols, etc. and all other parts of the file window are too large. The info in the file itself are adjustable. How can I reduce the size of these Office objects? Using Windows 10 and MS...
  9. Filling large size external monitor screen

Filling large size external monitor screen: I just reinstalled Windows 10. Now the screen of my external monitor does not fill completely. I tried changing the resolution through settings, but the options I am given do not include a high enough resolution (1920 for a 24 inch screen I think). How do I add this...
  10. External second display wrong size

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External second display wrong size: I have two extra displays connected to my laptop, and my largest one (technically a TV but whatever) is appearing the wrong size relative to my internal laptop display. My laptop's display is set to 1920x1080, and my TV is at a recommended 1366x768. Here are two pictures...