Windows 10: Multiple monitors, multiple locations

Discus and support Multiple monitors, multiple locations in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My almost new HP Windows 10 laptop has two monitors, the one that came with it and another larger LG attached with an HDMI cable. The PC locks when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Mike Osborn, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Multiple monitors, multiple locations

My almost new HP Windows 10 laptop has two monitors, the one that came with it and another larger LG attached with an HDMI cable. The PC locks when I step away from it because it's keyed to the Bluetooth on my phone plus I use my fingerprint to log in, usually.

When I return and log back in with my finger, all the "suspended" programs get bunched over on the laptop monitor and the task bar disappears well, not exactly, the task bar is actually blank, with no icons on it, although "bumps" appear when I hover the mouse over it. I can get the task bar to reappear when I launch Chrome why?! I don't usually use Chrome, but the taskbar is usually missing the active icons for running programs. I have to Alt-Tab in order to find those programs. To get things back to normal, I have to close everything, log out, log back in again and start things up again--which usually causes other issues because Google Backup and Sync is trying to back up my Quicken data file and Quicken won't start even though B&S shows complete until I log out again ! and log back in again. I spend my whole life logging out and logging in instead of getting work done.

This is made more complicated since I use my Microsoft ID to log on to a church PC so I can access my OneDrive to copy files back and forth. That PC also has two monitors both older Samsungs because its main use is to show presentations to the congregation in the Sanctuary.

Any suggestions on a solution to make my day easier?

:)

Mike Osborn, Mar 14, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Mar 14, 2020
  3. Change the location of taskbar on multiple display Windows 10

Hello Peter,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me answer your query regarding taskbar location on multiple displays.

Do you have multiple monitors connected to the same computer?

Please be informed that right now there is no option to change the location of taskbar to the scenario which you mentioned.

As this is the option you would like to see in windows 10, you may provide your suggestions in the feedback app.

It will be directly referred by our developer’s team for further improvement.

Follow the steps:

• Go to Start, enter the phrase Windows Feedback, and then select Windows Feedback.
    • See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft Music.
    • If you find similar feedback, select it, add any details, and then select Me too.
    • To narrow your search to a specific category, pick the category that most closely matches your feedback (so it gets to the right people quickly). For example, for feedback about the Music app, select Apps > Music.
    • If you don’t find any similar feedback, select New Feedback, and choose a topic from Select a category and then select a subcategory.
    • Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and you're done.
    However you may follow the below steps to change the location of the taskbar (changes the location on both the monitors to same place) and check.

1. Right click on the taskbar and click on properties.

2. Select the taskbar tab.

3. In the “Taskbar location on the screen” drop down list you may select your preferred location and click on apply.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Multiple monitors, multiple locations

Windows 10 issue with multiple monitors and KVM

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This might occur when some of the settings not configured properly, I would suggest you refer to the below link and try the steps mentioned in help article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Multiple monitors, multiple locations

1. Multiple monitors, multiple locations - Similar Threads - Multiple monitors multiple

2. Multiple Monitors + Multiple Screenshots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple Monitors + Multiple Screenshots: Didn't know anywhere to ask this: I have 6 monitors. I want to take individual screenshots of a portion of each monitor in one go. Is there an app for this or a tool that comes with Windows? submitted by /u/a_seyza [link] [comments]...
  3. Multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple monitors: Hi,I replaced my second monitor this week. It will only duplicate the laptop screen; it will not extend.In display they show up as one monitor and windows does not detect the new monitor. I've run the windows update and checked the one video adaptor driver that's listed. I...
  4. Multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple monitors: I have 2 monitors. I'm trying to extend on the two monitors but it's only letting me show on the computer and another monitor, I cannot show on displays 2 and 3 or all at once....
  5. Multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple monitors: Our teachers have Dell Latitude 3310 2-in-1 laptops and corresponding docks in classrooms. The docks are connected to a monitor and a projector. When we clean install the laptops, the teacher can either duplicate the display on all three output devices laptop screen, monitor...
  6. Multiple Monitors

Multiple Monitors: Hi, I have been using 2 monitors for some time now but wanted to add a third - I can plug the monitor in and it is detected - I can line it up that it is displaying in the right order but it wont let me adjust the Screen Size or Resolution. The third monitor appears small...
  7. Multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple monitors: I have a RazerBlade Pro and am trying to set up multiple monitors. The computer has 1 HDMI Port and1 Thunderbolt port. Was able to connect 1 additional monitor to the HDMI port. This works with either my Samsung 32" monitor or the HP 29" monitor. When I try to add a...
  8. Multiple monitors

Multiple monitors: Can do I set up 2 external monitors on a laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-monitors/69e805c9-758f-485d-a74b-e316dddb9b8d
  9. multiple monitors

multiple monitors: how to switch my 1 and 2 monitors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/multiple-monitors/101ec3d8-0e37-497f-8656-1df332c50ba6
  10. multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    multiple monitors: Is there a way to make certain programs only open up on a certain monitor in Windows 10? Right now I am using 2 monitors for programs and a TV to run Netflix app, etc. 14378