Windows 10: Multiple monitors settings discard after lid closed

Discus and support Multiple monitors settings discard after lid closed in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm still new to win10, so probably don't know simple things. Settings on multiple displays are ''show only on 2''(A). My external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by kitaswin10, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Multiple monitors settings discard after lid closed

Hello everyone,

I'm still new to win10, so probably don't know simple things.
    Settings on multiple displays are ''show only on 2''(A). My external monitor working perfect till I close laptop's lid and then open it again. Settings become ''Duplicate these displays''(B) and desktop icons get rearranged. When I close lid again, settings get back to ''show only on 2", desktop icons back to their places.
    So when laptop's lid is closed, settings is A, when opened - B. But if I manually change settings to A when laptop is open, then it keeps A till I close and open again.
    I hope its understandable what I wrote Multiple monitors settings discard after lid closed :)

p.s . i used to have win7 all time and never happened like this.

win10 x64 1909 18363.476

:)

kitaswin10, Dec 3, 2019
  2. Suman_B Win User

Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we would need some information.

1. What is the version and
      build of you operating system? In the Search box, type
      winver to get this info.
    2. May I know the Make and the model of the computer and external monitor?
    3. Are you aware of any changes made on your computer before this issue occurred?

We also suggest following the steps below and check if it makes any difference.

Since you are facing issue with the Secondary monitor, I would suggest you to
    Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10
    and check if it fixes the issue.

Additionally refer this article on Second
    screen or Projector mode does not persist after you close and reopen a laptop lid

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Suman_B, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Hi,

I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However,
    I can't do this since the lid is closed and I can't see what I'm doing.

This is only a problem for when the lid is closed, I can still use my secondary monitor as an extension of the laptop monitor.

Any idea on how to solve this?

Thanks

Antoniio Herrera, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Multiple monitors settings discard after lid closed

Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Multiple monitors settings discard after lid closed

1. Multiple monitors settings discard after lid closed - Similar Threads - Multiple monitors settings

2. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  3. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  4. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. "lid settings" with an external monitor

"lid settings" with an external monitor: Hey, I've been wondering the following for a while. I sometimes use my laptop as a desktop with an external monitor and sometimes as a laptop to be mobile. This works fine, but I have 1 problem. I have to change my "lid settings" every time. I want my laptop to go into sleep...
  6. Setting the action when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Setting the action when lid is closed: Is it possible to set this action to shut down, sleep or hibernate the computer? What is the effect on battery life of sleep or hibernate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-the-action-when-lid-is-closed/7841bd04-51d2-4421-93bc-0bb887938c54
  7. Display Closing Lid and Power Settings

Display Closing Lid and Power Settings: I was wondering about if there was any way for a setting to be changed so that: -If my computer is hooked up to a display (monitor), it would not sleep when I close the lid -If my computer is not hooked up to a display (monitor), it would sleep when I close the lid...
  8. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  9. Using External Monitors with lid closed

Using External Monitors with lid closed: I had my set up work before. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. One monitor is connected via VGA cord and the other via HDMI. When I shut the lid of the laptop the monitor connected via VGA disconnects and wants to go into power saving mode, like if the computer went to...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. second screen or projector mode does not persist after you close and reopen a laptop lid